NH-D14 or H80i?

Half Life

Hi guys, i looking for a cpu cooler but i don't choose yet. I want one than can use for future upgrades (i have a 3570K i think be upgrade for 5th generation). I'll do OC maybe ~4.0 GHz

What do you recommend?

I'd say go for the NH-D14, you'll get better performance than the H80i at the same noise level.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

What are you looking for? The H80i has better looks than the NH-D14, but has worse performance. Also, the NH-D14 is extremely reliable, as it is only two fans and a heatsink, instead of the h80i, where a lot more components could go wrong. So, personally I would go for the Noctua NH-D14. 

i prefer the aesthetics of the h80i but its a little worse in performance than the noctua

yea, you would need h100i to get the job done. id pick noctua

I'd get liquid cooling just so I don't worry about the RAM clearance and the massive air cooler anymore.

convenience really, as D14 is ludicrously good - if it just wasn't as big n heavy as it is :(

so bottom line:

H80i not heavy, aesthetically pleasing

D14 heavier, probs with clearance, better performance

you gotta ask yourself, aesthetic or performance? :)

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

Closed-loop coolers are really just for aesthetics.  I just bought one and I admit I did mainly for the looks. :P

If you want the best performance for your money, go for the D14.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

go for the noctua, unless you're super keen on looks in which case you probably want to go for the H80i or another AIO.

Thanks guys, i just want performance  B)  I think get the noctua.

I just bought an NH-D14 from NCIX. Stoked to get it.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Noctua for sure, fewer points of failure, and that cooler can be installed with the ULNA adapter and only one fan, still performs very well and is extremely quiet.

The only reason I'm not running one now is because I became a silverstone fanboy and decided to give their cooler a go. It's good, but not as good as the noctua.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Closed Loop Coolers are beautiful, but don't go for a thin rad 120mm cooler because NH-D14 will destroy it :)

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Xigimatek Dark Knight Night Hawk

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

NH-D14, it gives out pretty much the same performance compared to a H80i. Would suggest looking into the H100i if you wanted a pre-filled loop. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Nh-d14 is an amazing air cooler, and I actually like the way it looks, keeps my system under 70c in the heat of summer and that's at 4.4 @ 1.195v. Best part is if it is cool enough you can use it as an entirely passive cooler, tried it in the winter and it wasn't creeping past 65 while running prime. But that all depends on how cold it is where your system is. Still very quite and very effective with the ULNA adapters. Imo very worth the money.

My Timewaster: i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz 1.19v, Asus P8Z77-V, Noctua NH-D14, Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 16 GB Corsair Vengance, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, HAF 912, Logitech G710+, G700

the H80 to compete wit the D14 needs the loud stock fans so buy expensive fans

to keep it quiet, so you are now into H100 price range. and again, for noise a fan

purchase is inevitable. the D14 is large (RAM/Case sensitive) but quiet and has

excellent usage record on cooling performance. as for gen5, we are not there yet.

so that will be a new(er) ballgame to config for.

if just contemplating 4.0 on a 3570k, then a cooler master 212 would be easy enough

to purchase and use, D14 would offer no more benefits than the 212, unless you

plan on high overclocks.

airdeano

How is the NH-U14S?I suppose to be compatible to more RAMS. anyone know how is he vs the NH-d14?

How is the NH-U14S?I suppose to be compatible to more RAMS. anyone know how is he vs the NH-d14?

well it won't have the cooling performance of the D14, if that's what you asking. prolly

similar to the C14 just vertical not horizontal which was fine till 4.7 (1.300vcore+) made

the C14 start losing cooling performance as the D14 was still strong.

airdeano

well it won't have the cooling performance of the D14, if that's what you asking. prolly

similar to the C14 just vertical not horizontal which was fine till 4.7 (1.300vcore+) made

the C14 start losing cooling performance as the D14 was still strong.

airdeano

And If I don't plan to OC - maybe minimal, it will still be one of the best out there (Air!) except of the D14? I'm thinking about the NH-U14s because from what I saw it's smaller than the D14, and has better compatability with motherboards, lighter, also Ram collision etc. And isn't it better than the C14??

If I don't plan to OC (or minimal as I mentioned), do you think that in case I'm not going on the D14 (I plan to build my machine with gigabyte z87-sniper, and afraid of the D14 compatability and weight!), maybe i should "forget" noctua and go maybe on something cheaper but still nice like the cooler master hyper 212 evo?

Would appreciate your opinion?

and now we know more..

an iTX build, yes the twin tower solutions are best, but since the form factor is iTX

very weighted and bulky. the flat coolers like the NH-9i would be great, but on OC

and haswell they are not usable due to the heat-build up. the simple single tower

HSF would prolly be a viable solution for you.

airdeano

Hi guys, i have another question, which is the best way of placing it? horizontal or vertical?

photo2ur.jpg

679.jpg

The case is a C70 and the memory vengance high profile.

679.jpg

this way. because you able to take all air from anywhere rather than straight off the GPU (and

with close proximity) which stifles the air flow and is preheated from the GPU.

airdeano