Save some money and buy the Panasonic GH4 or go all out and get a Sony PWX FS7 for Youtube.

So I'm upgrading my video filming setup and I have narrowed down all the parts except for the camera. 

So I can decided between spending 1400€ + whatever a couple lenses will cost me or spending 6900€ + whatever a couple lenses would cost me.

With the GH4 I'd great quality and 4K recording at 30 fps with the FS7  I'd get mindblowing quality and 4k at 60 fps. 

I don't know what to do. 

Questions:

What camera should I buy?

What lenses should I buy to go along with the camera?

I mostly produce Tech videos. If you were part of my audience would you want me to upload my content at 60 fps? 

If I should go for the GH4 should I upload at 4k 30 fps or 1080p 60 fps?

Most people don't have 4k monitors, I don't really see a reason to spend extra money on producing content people can't make use of.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1440p camera makes a great midway. You could do that, don't see a point in doing 4k

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

4k at 60 fps is a bit much for youtube videos right now. 

For a tech youtube channel, 60 fps isn't needed.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Get the GH4, an FS7 is overkill for youtube. 

Not sure what lenses would be best.

For IRL content, 30 fps is fine.

You can do whatever you want, but I always love to see youtubers use 4k just to support it. (Though it may not be worth the amount of extra time you'll have to spend uploading/editing/rendering it.) 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I say go all out and get what you really want.

I was taught to always save up and get what I really want rather than a stepping stone to it because I'll always be dissatisfied with what I bought originally. i.e. Go big or go home.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Most people don't have 4k monitors, I don't really see a reason to spend extra money on producing content people can't make use of.

Having a 4K capable sensor allows for more than just 4k video recording. It also allows for cropping your video and not really noticing a quality hit (assuming you upload at 1080p). 

4k at 60 fps is a bit much for youtube videos right now. 

For a tech youtube channel, 60 fps isn't needed.

Get the GH4, an FS7 is overkill for youtube. 

Not sure what lenses would be best.

For IRL content, 30 fps is fine.

You can do whatever you want, but I always love to see youtubers use 4k just to support it. (Though it may not be worth the amount of extra time you'll have to spend uploading/editing/rendering it.) 

60fps more comes into play when shooting broll. So that way you can really slow it done and it'll still look good.

1440p camera makes a great midway. You could do that, don't see a point in doing 4k

1440p camera? Never heard of one... other than maybe the Black Magic Pocket Cinema or whatever it's called

@OP I say get:

• 17-50mm F/2.8 Sigma
  • 35mm F/1.8 Prime
  • 60mm F/2.8 Macro

It's my understanding that 4K downsampled to 1080p has better quality than a native 1080p capture. I assume the same way super sampling anti aliasing works. There's merit to getting a 4K capable camera for the quality boost to 1080p video.

What camera should I buy?

What lenses should I buy to go along with the camera?

I mostly produce Tech videos. If you were part of my audience would you want me to upload my content at 60 fps? 

If I should go for the GH4 should I upload at 4k 30 fps or 1080p 60 fps?

As to the topic on hand, I'd probably just get the GH4 unless you can claim the FS7 as a business expense on tax. I remember you're a fairly popular youtuber, so I'd go for whatever would have the greater return on your investment.

There's merits to having a 60fps stream for gaming, but I haven't really seen it for anything else on youtube. If you had lots of fast movement in your scenes then maybe. Honestly I think it's an either/or option, since it generally doesn't affect the audience too much.

I'd probably go 4K on the GH4 and downsample to 1080p if your main objective is "oooo pretty!" or go for native 1080p60 if you have to capture movement in a scene.

Having a 4K capable sensor allows for more than just 4k video recording. It also allows for cropping your video and not really noticing a quality hit (assuming you upload at 1080p). 

60fps more comes into play when shooting broll. So that way you can really slow it done and it'll still look good.

1440p camera? Never heard of one... other than maybe the Black Magic Pocket Cinema or whatever it's called

@OP I say get:

• 17-50mm F/2.8 Sigma
  • 35mm F/1.8 Prime
  • 60mm F/2.8 Macro

Will these fit the FS7? Also which lense for what type of shot? (Close ups, normal shots, far away...) 

It's my understanding that 4K downsampled to 1080p has better quality than a native 1080p capture. I assume the same way super sampling anti aliasing works. There's merit to getting a 4K capable camera for the quality boost to 1080p video.

As to the topic on hand, I'd probably just get the GH4 unless you can claim the FS7 as a business expense on tax. I remember you're is a fairly popular youtuber, so I'd go for whatever would have the greater return on your investment.

There's merits to having a 60fps stream for gaming, but I haven't really seen it for anything else on youtube. If you had lots of fast movement in your scenes then maybe. Honestly I think it's an either/or option, since it generally doesn't affect the audience too much.

I'd probably go 4K on the GH4 and downsample to 1080p if your main objective is "oooo pretty!" or go for native 1080p60 if you have to capture movement in a scene.

Wait... Your a fucking genious I should be able to do that. :)

If I end up going for the FS7 (If I can claim it as a business expense) I'll upload at 4k 60 fps because I can xD 

Would you guys mind having a look at the stuff I currently play on buying? 

It's basically this list + a countryman B6 mic (the lavalier Linus uses) and the FS7. 

Total costs of  rougly 12000€ (holy smokes) 

Am I missing anything crucial? 

Not that I can see, but I'm a stills photographer so my knowledge of videography is mostly from reading related things here and there. If you don't have a pair, then maybe a set of headphones to do sound level checks? Also, how are you handling storage? 4K can get out of hand pretty fast.

Not that I can see, but I'm a stills photographer so my knowledge of videography is mostly from reading related things here and there. If you don't have a pair, then maybe a set of headphones to do sound level checks? Also, how are you handling storage? 4K can get out of hand pretty fast.

I have a 12TB NAS so that should do it for a while. (Acutally 24TB but 12TB because I run 4 WD Red 6 TB in raid 1) But I am planning on bulding a new NAS that will house 10 6TB WD Reds in Raid 10 for 30 TB extra storage. 

As for the headphones I do have a bunch of headphones. :) 

Would you guys mind having a look at the stuff I currently play on buying? 

It's basically this list + a countryman B6 mic (the lavalier Linus uses) and the FS7. 

Total costs of  rougly 12000€ (holy smokes) 

The Sigma 17-50mm and Sony 35mm  is both not fullframe compatible and will have black corners/borders and heavy vingetting.

The Sony 50mm macro is a A-mount and will require an adapter.

I would suggest you take a look on Sony's FE lenses which are fullframe compatible and Rokinon's Cine lenses for E-mount.

Remember to check if the lenses are fullframe compatible.

The Sigma 17-50mm and Sony 35mm  is both not fullframe compatible and will have black corners/borders and heavy vingetting.

The Sony 50mm macro is a A-mount and will require an adapter.

I would suggest you take a look on Sony's FE lenses which are fullframe compatible and Rokinon's Cine lenses for E-mount.

Remember to check if the lenses are fullframe compatible.

Ah, bummer. I thought Super35 was APS-C sized? The dimensions are nearly the same.

Good catch mate!

Ah, bummer. I thought Super35 was APS-C sized? The dimensions are nearly the same.

Good catch mate!

Took a look at a sizechart and the super35 is close in size of a APS-C.

Thougt it was the same size as a full frame.

If it's so close in size APS-C lenses might work.

You will get more vingetting but maybe not black corners or borders.

If he's recording 4k he can crop the image slightly before resizing to 1080p so there might not be any problem at all using APS-C lenses.

If you're still making up your mind, I vote for the gh4. We are extremely pleased with ours and while the fs700 rig can shoot nicer, more easily manipulated, and more cinematic looking footage, the size of a larger camera is often impractical and the benefit of higher framerate shooting can be canceled out by poor control of the camera unless you're using a big tripod with a great head on it.

Just some random thoughts.

If the gh4 had existed 2 years ago I would likely own a couple of those instead of a single fs700.

Took a look at a sizechart and the super35 is close in size of a APS-C.

Thougt it was the same size as a full frame.

If it's so close in size APS-C lenses might work.

You will get more vingetting but maybe not black corners or borders.

If he's recording 4k he can crop the image slightly before resizing to 1080p so there might not be any problem at all using APS-C lenses.

Thought so, but my realm of knowledge is still photography so I wasn't 100% sure. Some of that cine-glass you mentioned sounds good, but man can it be expensive!

EDIT: Hah, time to eat my own words! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016629-REG/rokinon_super_fast_t1_5_cine.html That's a really nice range for that price!

If you're still making up your mind, I vote for the gh4. We are extremely pleased with ours and while the fs700 rig can shoot nicer, more easily manipulated, and more cinematic looking footage, the size of a larger camera is often impractical and the benefit of higher framerate shooting can be canceled out by poor control of the camera unless you're using a big tripod with a great head on it.

Just some random thoughts.

If the gh4 had existed 2 years ago I would likely own a couple of those instead of a single fs700.

If you recommend it to me it's got be great right? I guess buying a GH4, learning a thing or two about cameras and then buying a new even nicer camera in a year or so when I actually understand what all these technical therms mean. :P  I'll send you a PM with a couple questions and it would be great if you could awnser those :) 

If you wanna shoot 4k either grab a GH4 or the Sony A7s and an external recorder

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Go with the GH4 with the 12-35/2.8 OIS or the 14-140/3.5-5.6 OIS.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

• 3 weeks later...

AS I've mentioned before, Panasonic GH4K + Panasonic Lumix DMW_YAGH Interface unit + AJA ki pro quad. Would be better then the FS7

but say hey i want to save a few hundred bucks then get the Convergent Design Odyssey7Q Raw OLED Monitor & Recorder instead of the AJA