Upgrading Mac Pro Graphics Card

I'm wanting to install a gtx 980, gtx 780ti, or a gtx 970 into my 8-core (x5482) 2008 mac pro. I will be running windows 7 and yosemite on separate hard drives. Is the cooling system good enough to keep everything running at ideal temperature for these cards? If not what should I get to cool it down? Also will this mac's cpu bottleneck the performance of these cards or is it fine? If any of you have recommendations on what card I should get let me know!

The X5482 is a LGA 771 quad so I'm amusing this is a dual CPU system, the single thread performance is lacking a lot (under a FX 8320) that I personally wouldn't go over a GTX 760.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

You cant install any of those cards in a mac pro.....

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2848

If you installed a new one it might work with windows, but it certainly wouldnt work with osx.

That's just talking official support.

There are cards with Mac BIOSes and modifications to make cards work.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

That's just talking official support.

There are cards with Mac BIOSes and modifications to make cards work.

I personally would think that there would be ways around making any GPU work with Macs.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

You cant install any of those cards in a mac pro.....

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2848

If you installed a new one it might work with windows, but it certainly wouldnt work with osx.

So the GTX 680 Mac edition will not work in a Mac Pro at all?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III