Is litecoin and dogecoin mining on GPUs still worth it?

I am doing a research project on Bitcoins for school, and TL;DR, no. It is unprofitable for most setups with most coins. Once the value of coins rise again, then possibly.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

Once the value of coins rise again, then possibly.

If *

//ccap

Just wondering  :)

Not really at the moment.

You should look at all digital currency as more of an investment, and hope that the price per coin will rise as time goes on.

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

Not really worth it unless you already have all the hardware, you aren't using it for something else, and you don;t pay for power.

the only way to make a profit from Bitcoins is an ASIC

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I said litecoin and dogecoin, not Bitcoin.  I was asking specifically about those

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Not when there are ASIC miners that consume less power and have better performance for mining.

Not when there are ASIC miners that consume less power and have better performance for mining.

I thought ASIC miners didn't really work well on lite/dogecoins

Just wondering :)

Honestly, the market is so volatile and so prone to random peaks and valleys that I'd say no. 

There are other places to put your money, that are safer :P

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Hasn't been worth it for a long time.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Hasn't been worth it for a long time.

What if you're not paying for electricity

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Just wondering :)

mining is not making money and profit from it. its for helping the community

If you like the ideology of a coin you mine it and you never know that coin you mined might turn into a fortun

About litecoin & dogecoin mining the difficulty is very high so you cannot fight the other peope who bought staff scrypt miners thinking that one day will be rich

What if you're not paying for electricity

Still not really worth it. The returns will be minuscule

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

Nah

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

mining is not making money and profit from it. its for helping the community

If you like the ideology of a coin you mine it and you never know that coin you mined might turn into a fortun

About litecoin & dogecoin mining the difficulty is very high so you cannot fight the other peope who bought staff scrypt miners thinking that one day will be rich

Instead of wasting power and time to mine coins (that are supposed to be mined for profit) he could use that PC for folding or boinc, where the efforts go directly into a worthwhile cause.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Unless the price goes up its definitely not worth it. Until then...

Instead of wasting power and time to mine coins (that are supposed to be mined for profit) he could use that PC for folding or boinc, where the efforts go directly into a worthwhile cause.

mining is not for making profit or money is about helping the overall community

like folding

He can choose between folding and mining - I do both ( not 24h/7)

Mine doge cos it is a stupid meme. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I said litecoin and dogecoin, not Bitcoin.  I was asking specifically about those

there just bitcoins with different names

mining is not for making profit or money is about helping the overall community

like folding

He can choose between folding and mining - I do both ( not 24h/7)

Grinding numbers is not really helping the community. Folding proteins to cure cancer is.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Invest in gold if you want something to put money in.

"I take my spirit and I smash my mirrors,
And now the whole world is here for me to see,
Now I'm searching for my love to be."
-Jimi Hendrix, Room Full of Mirrors

doge coin was never really a real thing.

its just for the fun of it

bitcoin is basically dead go big asic miners for scrypt or go bust.