Gigabyte GTX 780Ti or Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 GAMING

Proxish

Hi Guys,

I'll keep this as short as possible.

I have a Corsair CX600, i7 4770k Overclocked. GPU will be Overclocked. Monitor is 1440p @ 110hz.

£320 - Gigabyte GTX 780Ti (eBuyer)

£300 - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 GAMING (eBuyer / Scan)

I want silence and low power consumption. I've had the GTX 780, sold and upgraded to MSI 970, horrible coil buzz, sending back and need a replacement. Worried that if I buy another 970, I'll get coil buzz or whine again.

Trying to decide on power of GTX 780ti vs silence, lower power consumption and possible coil whine/buzz of the GTX 970.

(Note I've had GPU's with coil whine in the past. I have sensitive hearing, so coil whine gives me incredible headaches)

i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | AsRock Extreme 4 Z87

EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 @ 1485/8002 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB 1600MHz | Samsung Evo 840 250GB

I want silence and low power consumption

Then the GTX 970 is right up your alley

Worried that if I buy another 970, I'll get coil buzz or whine again.

It's a bit luck of the draw. My GTX 970 has no coil whine whatsoever. 

I would say go with the GTX 970

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Then the GTX 970 is right up your alley

I would say go with the GTX 970

I wouldnt say youre lucky for not having coil whine, but others being unlucky. My G1 970 has coil whine under any load

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I wouldnt say youre lucky for not having coil whine, but others being unlucky. My G1 970 has coil whine under any load

With luck of the draw I mean, it's a bit random as to how severe the coil whine will be

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Hi Guys,

I'll keep this as short as possible.

I have a Corsair CX600, i7 4770k Overclocked. GPU will be Overclocked. Monitor is 1440p @ 110hz.

£320 - Gigabyte GTX 780Ti (eBuyer)

£300 - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 GAMING (eBuyer / Scan)

I want silence and low power consumption. I've had the GTX 780, sold and upgraded to MSI 970, horrible coil buzz, sending back and need a replacement. Worried that if I buy another 970, I'll get coil buzz or whine again.

Trying to decide on power of GTX 780ti vs silence, lower power consumption and possible coil whine/buzz of the GTX 970.

(Note I've had GPU's with coil whine in the past. I have sensitive hearing, so coil whine gives me incredible headaches)

Bro you might wanna have a look at

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-078-ZT

Zotac 780ti Ghz edition for £293, although I would check reviews for it if you plan on getting it. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Thanks for all getting back to me so fast.

You must be the luckiest 970 owner there is lol. I've heard everyone has coil whine.
Can I ask what FPS you play at? I know coil whine is more severe the higher the FPS you play at due to the added stress under load, and at 1440p 110hz, I'm going to be pretty much pushing it to it's limits constantly.

How bad is your coil whine? And what type of case do you have? I ask because I've got the Define R4 which is supposed to be sound proofed, does f-all if you ask me lol.

Does it interfere with your sound card the same way coil buzz does? By that I mean if you turn your volume down but keep your speakers on, do you get an electrical buzz from your speakers?

Bro you might wanna have a look at

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-078-ZT

Zotac 780ti Ghz edition for £293, although I would check reviews for it if you plan on getting it. 

I just saw that as you posted that.

Zotac Clocks - Core Base Clock: 941MHz / Core Boost Clock: 1006MHz

Gigabyte Clocks - Core Base Clock: 876MHz / Core Boost Clock: 928MHz

Looks like the Zotac blows it out the water and has a 5 year warranty. I prefer the look of the Gigabyte, but I'm not going to see it in my case. Only question is the cooling of it now, can't find any decent reviews.

You must be the luckiest 970 owner there is lol. I've heard everyone has coil whine.

Can I ask what FPS you play at? I know coil whine is more severe the higher the FPS you play at due to the added stress under load, and at 1440p 110hz, I'm going to be pretty much pushing it to it's limits constantly.

Battlefield 4 as an example. I have Vsync turned off and on Zavod I get about 90-100fps average with 0 coil whine.

How bad is your coil whine? And what type of case do you have? I ask because I've got the Define R4 which is supposed to be sound proofed, does f-all if you ask me lol.

Does it interfere with your sound card the same way coil buzz does? By that I mean if you turn your volume down but keep your speakers on, do you get an electrical buzz from your speakers?

Its pretty bad, under any load theres coil whine in my card, you ll hear it in that case. Ill RMA the card because its super annoying.

It doesnt interfere with my sound at all, other than making a coil whine that is terribad. But i just think i was unlucky

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Thanks for all getting back to me so fast.

I just saw that as you posted that.

Zotac Clocks - Core Base Clock: 941MHz / Core Boost Clock: 1006MHz

Gigabyte Clocks - Core Base Clock: 876MHz / Core Boost Clock: 928MHz

Looks like the Zotac blows it out the water and has a 5 year warranty. I prefer the look of the Gigabyte, but I'm not going to see it in my case. Only question is the cooling of it now, can't find any decent reviews.

This thread may be of use: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2169822/zotac-gtx-780-amp-gigabyte-gtx-780-windforce.html

Not sure if that and the Zotac amp are one and the same. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

In terms of the GTX 780ti, what do you guys think about the higher FPS it can output and do you think the 780ti 3GB limitation compared to the 4GB of the 970 will become an issue, even when the 780Ti seems to somehow perform better?

Its pretty bad, under any load theres coil whine in my card, you ll hear it in that case. Ill RMA the card because its super annoying.

It doesnt interfere with my sound at all, other than making a coil whine that is terribad. But i just think i was unlucky

That's unfortunate. Seems to be split 50/50 between people that got decent 970's and people that didn't. I got a bad one, and with my luck probably will again.

This thread may be of use: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2169822/zotac-gtx-780-amp-gigabyte-gtx-780-windforce.html

Not sure if that and the Zotac amp are one and the same. 

Yea, they are pretty much the same, difference of about 50mz in favour of the AMP edition.

Battlefield 4 as an example. I have Vsync turned off and on Zavod I get about 90-100fps average with 0 coil whine.

Thanks for the info. 

Think I'll just take my chances with the Gigabyte 970... 

I just feel like I'm taking a step backwards with the GTX 780ti. 

Think I'll just take my chances with the Gigabyte 970... 

I just feel like I'm taking a step backwards with the GTX 780ti. 

If you want to be more sure get the Strix which is "guaranteed" to not have coil whine, its one of the features they advertise

970 all the way. 

SYSTEM SPECS

i7 4790k | LTT Edition Noctua NH-U12S | Gigabyte Z97-SOC Force | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 | 120GB Samsung 850 EVO | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | NVIDIA GTX 980ti | H440 Orange | EVGA 650B3 PSU

Going from a gigabyte gtx 650ti 2gb to their gtx 970, I'm getting only slightly more noise from the newer card, and there has been no noticeable coil whine so far. So go for the gtx 970, its got a brilliant power-to-performance ratio as well over the 780ti, and the performance is that close its not funny.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL