Need help to cut cost with a gaming com

RLJY
Go to solution Solved by Tagiau,

Hi, i need help with some cost cutting with a build for a gaming PC (Primarily for gaming, browsing and typing word docs) i'm gonna build in 2-3 weeks time,

heres the list from PC Partpicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P62KNG ,

If you're interested from where i got the local prices, http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/priceLists

1. Budget & Location

From Singapore, Currency is in SGD( 1 USD = 1.25 SGD estimate). The above build is about 1980 SGD if you do direct conversion and don't factor in shipping whereas if i buy it locally it'll be about 2.2k SGD(maybe a little lower because you can haggle the price) i'm trying not to breach the 2K barrier with screen included but the screen will probably be about $270 sgd.

2. Aim

primarily for gaming, web browsing, typing some word documents, but i plan to use this for at least 4-5 years so i'd like to "futureproof" it (e.g enough ram/ GPU horsepower" Also plan to overclock my CPU

3. Monitors

Will run 1 monitor probably 1920 x 1080p or maybe(unlikely) 2560 x 1440p.

4. Peripherals

Only need a monitor and probably windows 8( maybe i'll just transfer all my old stuff over)

5. Why are you upgrading?

Because my current PC, an LGA 775 socket model(can't remember processor model but it runs at 2.66 ghz) with ddr2 and a HD4770, just won't cut it.

Cheers!

If you don't plan on doing any type of heavy crossfire, nor extreme overclocking, you can drop down to a gigabyta z97x ud3h bk(same as the ud5h almost), and 650w is overkill for a single 970. 550 is what I would personally suggest, yet I know you can go lower than that as well. 

If this is just a gaming machine, you only really need an i5 processor. So an i5 4690k would be perfect.

Same goes for ram, 16gb isn't neccessary for gaming currently, or in the next couple years. 

For a good gaming monitor: Acer GN246HL, it is almost the same as the asus vg248qe, but about 30$usd cheaper, and doesn't feature pivot(downside for some, i personally don't care)

For a cheap windows 8.1 key, head over to g2a. You can find them at around 20$usd

Hi, i need help with some cost cutting with a build for a gaming PC (Primarily for gaming, browsing and typing word docs) i'm gonna build in 2-3 weeks time,

If you're interested from where i got the local prices, http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/priceLists

1. Budget & Location

From Singapore, Currency is in SGD( 1 USD = 1.25 SGD estimate). The above build is about 1980 SGD if you do direct conversion and don't factor in shipping whereas if i buy it locally it'll be about 2.2k SGD(maybe a little lower because you can haggle the price) i'm trying not to breach the 2K barrier with screen included but the screen will probably be about $270 sgd.

2. Aim

primarily for gaming, web browsing, typing some word documents, but i plan to use this for at least 4-5 years so i'd like to "futureproof" it (e.g enough ram/ GPU horsepower" Also plan to overclock my CPU

3. Monitors

4. Peripherals

Only need a monitor and probably windows 8( maybe i'll just transfer all my old stuff over)

Because my current PC, an LGA 775 socket model(can't remember processor model but it runs at 2.66 ghz) with ddr2 and a HD4770, just won't cut it.

Cheers!

1. Budget & Location

2. Aim

3. Monitors

4. Peripherals

Cheers!

If not video editing cut down to 8GB ram and/or an i5 4690K. 

Written on my Lenovo Z500 T - I5-3230M   Or

My pc :)

1. Budget & Location

2. Aim

3. Monitors

4. Peripherals

Cheers!

If you don't plan on doing any type of heavy crossfire, nor extreme overclocking, you can drop down to a gigabyta z97x ud3h bk(same as the ud5h almost), and 650w is overkill for a single 970. 550 is what I would personally suggest, yet I know you can go lower than that as well. 

If this is just a gaming machine, you only really need an i5 processor. So an i5 4690k would be perfect.

Same goes for ram, 16gb isn't neccessary for gaming currently, or in the next couple years. 

For a good gaming monitor: Acer GN246HL, it is almost the same as the asus vg248qe, but about 30$usd cheaper, and doesn't feature pivot(downside for some, i personally don't care)

For a cheap windows 8.1 key, head over to g2a. You can find them at around 20$usd

But from recent trends (from newer games), some seem to be needing at least 6 GB of ram. Whats the difference between the i7 4790k and the 4690k?

But from recent trends (from newer games), some seem to be needing at least 6 GB of ram. Whats the difference between the i7 4790k and the 4690k?

if you just buy 8gb you always have the option to buy more in the future if you need it and the difference between those two is that the 4790k has hyper threading and the other doesn't.

if you just buy 8gb you always have the option to buy more in the future if you need it and the difference between those two is that the 4790k has hyper threading and the other doesn't.

What does hyper-threading do( i know it provides a boost in some games but not many)?

What does hyper-threading do( i know it provides a boost in some games but not many)?

to my meager understanding, a single core with no threads can do 1 thing at once. the more threads it can have, the more simultaneous things it can do (im really sorry smart people if this is inaccurate!) that are smaller. Games are mostly lightly threaded so more threads aren't good right now (but may be in future, possibly)

If not video editing cut down to 8GB ram and/or an i5 4690K. 

If i cut down RAM speed, will there be a noticable change in gameplay?

"For each processor core that is physically present, the operating system addresses two virtual or logical cores, and shares the workload between them when possible."

" They appear to the OS as two processors, thus the OS can schedule two processes at once. In addition two or more processes can use the same resources. If resources for one process are not available, then another process can continue if its resources are available."

Both quotes from wikipedia - it is quite a complicated technology but hope this helps a bit. Very basicly it improves performance.

If i cut down RAM speed, will there be a noticable change in gameplay?

The speed of ram is pretty much unnoticeable during gameplay. Most people go for 1600mhz

The speed of ram is pretty much unnoticeable during gameplay. Most people go for 1600mhz

Thanks!

Would A Liquid cooled CPU cooler with a 1x 140mm rad or 1x 120mm rad make a big difference when put against a 240 or 280mm rad ? Does t affect overclocking or is overclocking only affected by the silicone lottery ?

Would A Liquid cooled CPU cooler with a 1x 140mm rad or 1x 120mm rad make a big difference when put against a 240 or 280mm rad ? Does t affect overclocking or is overclocking only affected by the silicone lottery ?

The speeds you can get during overclocking do partially depend on temps in which liquid coolers can be more effective. A dual rad will be more effective/efficient - idk by how much. But when using a dual rad you may not need to have your fans at as high speeds compared to a single rad to maintain a decent temperature.

The speeds you can get during overclocking do partially depend on temps in which liquid coolers can be more effective. A dual rad will be more effective/efficient - idk by how much. But when using a dual rad you may not need to have your fans at as high speeds compared to a single rad to maintain a decent temperature.

Thanks again!