USB Switch for KB/M?

MeltingPoint

Hey all,

Is there some sort of a USB switch/splitter that I can use for my KB and mouse to control 2 computers? 

Only 1 computer will be used at a time. The splitter will be used just to avoid transferring the cables everytime I use either computer.

Also, its would be beneficial if it would act like a switch that I can select which computer it will be connected to. You know just in case the two computers get powered on and then both of them would be sending power to the KB/M and that might cause something to fry.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

No no, not a KWM. I'm looking for a simple USB type switch. Does it even exist?

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

How about: Microsoft Mouse Without Borders (free).

You use 1 set of keyboard and mouse to control 2 or more systems. It acts like a dual screen setup. So As you move the mouse at the edge of 1 screen, it will switch system to the other. You can even copy paste text and files between system, like if you were using 1 system with multiple displays.

1 minute on google and I found this: www.amzn.com/B006Z0Q2SI

I also stumbled upon a software solution called synergy. I didn't read much about it, so I'm not sure it would apply to your situation, but it might be worth checking out.

1 minute on google and I found this: www.amzn.com/B006Z0Q2SI

I also stumbled upon a software solution called synergy. I didn't read much about it, so I'm not sure it would apply to your situation, but it might be worth checking out.

I have used this in the past and it works really well!

Main Rig: Intel i7 3930k @4.0GHz---8GB Ballistix @1600MHz---Asus P9X79 Pro---Samsung 840 Pro 128GB---3TB HDD Config---2x GTX 780Ti 3GB---Windows 7 Ultimate

Laptop: Late 2012 13" Retina MacBook Pro---2.5GHz Dual i5---8GB DDR3 @1600MHz---128GB PCI-E SSD---Intel HD4000 1GB---OSX 10.10 Yosemite

Phone: Nexus 4

Question: Will running a keyboard and mouse simultaneously from 1 usb port (usb hub or similar) degrade performance when gaming?

60FPS Microwave

Question: Will running a keyboard and mouse simultaneously from 1 usb port (usb hub or similar) degrade performance when gaming?

For the CPU (which processes your inputs), you are the massive bottleneck. Hes the one going "Maannn... is he doing to send me something to do here or what?.. I am soooo boooored.... A power point presentation is faster than that guy!"

So, no.

However, if you attach other things in addition to keyboard and mouse, and that other thing is doing something with the system while you game, then: possibly.

Another problem is power. If you have a power hungry keyboard and mouse because it has lights everywhere, and shoots lasers on the sides, and has a built-in fog machine to turn your room into a disco rave at night, like some of these "gaming" keyboard/mouse, then you might need a power hub, as you'll be sharing the power of the USB port for these 2 devices. So it might not be enough.

Another question: Will I still be able to use other function and multimedia keys on the keyboard when it is hooked up to a hub along with a mouse? The two I am looking at in particular is the Corsair K65 and a Logitech G100s

60FPS Microwave