How close to 144fps at 1440p is possible with a $2500 budget?

Hey, first time poster here although ive followed the youtube channel for quite a while.

So anyway i have a PG278q coming my way soon for when i build my computer, which has a $2500 budget. How physically close can i get to using all the potential of that monitor on a $2500 budget? My current build is

2x GTX 970 from gigabyte (the G1 gaming model) - i want to overclock both of them as far as possible

Intel i7-4790k

maximus VII hero motherboard

samsung EVO SSD for system drive

EVGA g2 850w PSU

16gb g.skill 2400mhz ram 

>some form of water cooler, h220x or 240x are high on my interest list for the CPU but they aren't available in Aus so i might have to get a h105 or h100i or something like that<

(Argh the case is hard to decide, currently all for very similiar prices my option are:)

Carbide 540 from Corsair

HAF-X 942

Core V71 from thermaltake

A71

I live in australia, so most of my prices come from here http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf Ive found these to be the best prices i can possibly get, since when i find a better price, shipping absolutely kills it. Even those GTX 980 prices ($868 AUD for example) come out less than getting the much cheaper newegg ones shipped to australia. 

Essentially i've been gaming on a potato for years, my 8 year old PC struggles to do much of anything although it was semi decent back when i first got it and i want to take this oppurtunity (and the screen i'm being gifted) as far as physically possible on my budget. Any advice and tips from you much more experienced people would be wonderfully appreciated. This is the first PC im going to be building myself too! I want to really experience the real highest end possible of graphics with this setup although i realise $2500 with australian prices doesn't go as far as it should

Thanks a lot for the help!

Enough, but in some games u will have to turn the settings a bit down...

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

Games like BF4 you should be running at 108FPS with 1440p and Crysis 3 at 72FPS in 1440p

Edit: At max settings

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

To get 144fps++ in absolutely everything anything these days, you need either a ridiculous, perhaps non existant amount of power. 

With 2 overclocked 970s you may hit 144fps in some games, like sleeping dogs, mass effect series, stuff like that. Crysis 3? No. Far Cry 4? No. 

Moving forward over the next few years, your odds of hitting 144fps with new titles go down even more. Don't buy a 144Hz monitor thinking "I have to use all 144Hz or I'm going to die!"

Buy it thinking "If I run into a game that can crank 144+FPS on max settings, I have a monitor that can keep up with it.

Is the monitor G-Sync? That's a killer feature with Nvidia cards. 

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

Welcome to the forums!
Change that i7 to i5-4690k and 16gb ram to 8gb (1600) of ram

Will save you 200 bucks, gaming doesn't benefit from that stuff (if you're doing REALLY REALLY REALLY heavy modding then you can go with 16gb but I'd rather not do that)

Corsair cases are pretty nice, go with them

As for storage, go with a 1/2TB HDD (Preferably Seagate or Western digital) and 120/128 SSD for the OS (samsung 840 is a good choice IMO)

Well, now that you saved some moneys you can buy a third 970! (hooray)

Welcome to the forums!

Will save you 200 bucks, gaming doesn't benefit from that stuff (if you're doing REALLY REALLY REALLY heavy modding then you can go with 16gb but I'd rather not do that)

As for storage, go with a 1/2TB HDD (Preferably Seagate or Western digital) and 120/128 SSD for the OS (samsung 840 is a good choice IMO)

Well, now that you saved some moneys so you can buy a third 970! (hooray)

Thank you! oh and im very sorry i didnt mention it before, i do a lot of photoshop work for concept art and 16gb from what ive read is really quite ideal for that, otherwise i would definitely be on 8gb! my bad i didnt say i also had that other goal in mind with the ram. i'm quite forgetful sometimes

And yes mister sprinkles, its a g-sync monitor which im pretty excited about which is why i'm only considering the nvidia cards personally at the moment. Yeah i just want the most ideal setup possible, dont want to make any horrific mistakes on my build

Welcome to the forums!

Well, now that you saved some moneys you can buy a third 970! (hooray)

As much as I hate to say it, that, or going with even 3 980s is the only option to get close to 144fps across most titles on shall we say "med-high>high" settings. Some games will run that res 144fps on ultra. I know sleeping dogs will for example because Ive seen it. Hell, 2 970s will almost pull it off at even higher res. 

You need to throw as much graphics horsepower at this problem as possible. Thats your solution. 2 way SLI is inefficient in that it doesnt perform 200% as well as single card, and 3 way SLI is even worse. Youre lucky to get a 25% improvement from that third card. Usually its much less. I think maybe going with overclocked 980s and a case with mega air flow is a good move here. 

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

As much as I hate to say it, that, or going with even 3 980s is the only option to get close to 144fps across most titles on shall we say "med-high>high" settings. Some games will run that res 144fps on ultra. I know sleeping dogs will for example because Ive seen it. Hell, 2 970s will almost pull it off at even higher res. 

You need to throw as much graphics horsepower at this problem as possible. Thats your solution. 2 way SLI is inefficient in that it doesnt perform 200% as well as single card, and 3 way SLI is even worse. Youre lucky to get a 25% improvement from that third card. Usually its much less. I think maybe going with overclocked 980s and a case with mega air flow is a good move here. 

980s are pretty impossible to three way since that costs my entire budget, should i be say, going down to i5 to try and squeeze in the 980s? if i buy cheaper aftermarket 980s they can cost as low as $700 AUD, maybe getting them shipped i might be able to save money but its really expensive pretty much from anywhere for Aus. 

Three GTX 970s from gigabyte for example g1 gaming cost the same as two cheaper 980s (say, gigabyte's non g1 gaming model costs $750 AUD) although i have to go up to x99 to run a 3way sli with  8x 8x 8x dont i? Would you reccomend two overclocked 980s or three 970s, although they are both very intense to squeeze in on my budget haha