Headphone around $300 max

80thRaptor

So im buying an amp and dac from mayflower in the next couple weeks, and i am looking for a good pair of headphones for no more than 300 that i can use both with that, and with my iphone when im not at home. I was looking at the fostex version 3's that they offer just for pure convenience from ordering at the same place but im not sure if that would be a good choice to go with, im not really up to date with whats out there currently as far as headphones, any suggestions?

Denon AD-H2000 have been excellent for me, however they are a little heavy and can get somewhat hot after extended use (more than 3 hours). If you have a smaller head (like me), they can look a little large, but they are very well built and look great. After having had them for some time now, I will more likely consider either doing the MarkL mod to them or paying for the mod service rather than buying a new pair of cans, as the mod makes them equivalent to $750-1000 headphones. Sorry if that was more info than was necessary  :P

Edit: As per the sound profile, they are neutral, even bass response and not boomy, detailed highs but no harshness, good mids but the MarkL mods improve the sound in this department. 

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | ASUS Z97-A | Intel Core i5 4690K | G.Skill Ripjaw 4 GB (desperately needs upgrade) | MSI Radeon R9 290 | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Seagate Constellation 1 TB HDD (also needs upgrade) | NZXT Kraken X61 for CPU | NZXT Kraken X61 + G10 for GPU | Corsair M45 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | ASUS Xonar DSX | Denon AD-H2000

So im buying an amp and dac from mayflower in the next couple weeks, and i am looking for a good pair of headphones for no more than 300 that i can use both with that, and with my iphone when im not at home. I was looking at the fostex version 3's that they offer just for pure convenience from ordering at the same place but im not sure if that would be a good choice to go with, im not really up to date with whats out there currently as far as headphones, any suggestions?

Fostex might have problem running straight of mobile devices (depending on the device), i.e. volume too low. Depends on your preferred volume, naturally. If your everyday listening volume is quite low, then it's all good.

DT 770 80 ohm or custom one pro for travel. Home I would grab the akg k612. Both should come under $300.

Don't get a high powered pair of headphones if your using it on a phone

Custom one pros would be your best bet

And don't get an amp you won't need it

Also if you really want the DAC then get a portable DAC

Fiio has some

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)