Having trouble getting CyanogenMod on my HTC One M7...

Go to solution Solved by Gala,

I went to the XDA developers forum and a nice guy named Danny helped me there. 

I had HBOOT 1.44 on my phone. This HBOOT has an issue with Windows 8 and drivers, so he suggested I use Linux as it doesn't need drivers to communicate with the Android system (since they are so similar). Things went a lot easier after fixing that. 

Here's the thread for others who are curious on what I did to get through it all.

My phone's status is the following:

• HBOOT 1.55
  • Firmware 5.XX
  • TWRP 2.3.6.6
  • Cyanogenmod 10.2.1
  • Unlocked
  • S-OFF
  • No Tamper

Now I'm just trying to figure out how I want CM since it's big thing is customizability and I had no idea what I wanted to begin with. I just knew I wanted freedom.

As I said, the drivers took a shit.

Glad you had it working!

Hi guys,

I bought a used HTC One M7 off a fellow forum member. He sent it to me with Cyanogen Mod installed. However, for varying reasons, I had to flash the vanilla AT&T ROM onto it. 

Now, when I try reinstalling CM, it fails. It shows a red triangle with a phone coming out of it when I try installing TWRP/SuperSU Installer after the first reboot. This is where I'm stuck as I'm not sure how else to install CM.

When I boot to it's Bootloader, this is what I see:

***TAMPERED***
***UNLOCKED***
M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.44.0000
RADIO-4A.14.3250.13
OpenDSP-v26.120.274.0202
eMMC-boot

<date>

HBOOT

<commands>

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
FACTORY RESET
SIMLOCK
IMAGE CRC
SHOW BARCODE

I know for a fact that it had CM on it before, so I assume it's rooted. Not sure what TAMPERED or UNLOCKED means. 

I've tried googling this issue (where the red triangle comes up), but haven't found anything specific to help. Apparently something green is supposed to come up that basically says it's working.

Any help is appreciated.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

unlocked= unlocked bootloader

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Vitalius? I thought you left... Anyway I know that a tampered boot loader means that the phones warranty has been voided. So what point during the installation did the get the red triangle?

Root is removed if you go back to stock. 

If you just want CM without going through the trouble of rooting/flashing, take a look at the CM Installer. Hopefully it supports the M7.

Vitalius? I thought you left... Anyway I know that a tampered boot loader means that the phones warranty has been voided. So what point during the installation did the get the red triangle?

Ah, cool. I didn't have one to begin with, so that's fine.

After I try installing TWRP via the app I downloaded to the phone. Cyanogen's instructions tell me to run it so it can have Root access to install Cyanogen. When I run it, it reboots the phone and that's when the red triangle comes up. Then the phone boots and TWRP isn't installed. So it's failing to install it with Root priviledges.

I will be leaving again shortly. I just need to do something stuff, like finally get CM on my phone.

Root is removed if you go back to stock. 

If you just want CM without going through the trouble of rooting/flashing, take a look at the CM Installer. Hopefully it supports the M7.

Ah, ok. 

I'd rather root/flash it, but I've tried that CM installer and I believe it supports the M7 as when I tried it, I checked and it did list the M7 as compatible.

When I try to run that, this is what happens:

I follow the instructions and everything works until CM is actually installing onto the phone.

The phone reboots and is at the Bootloader screen while the CM program on my computer says it's installing the Recovery Software. 

Nothing happens for some time, so I manually go to recovery on the bootloader screen to continue the installation (Not sure if that's what I should be doing).

CM Program on my computer says it can't contact my phone, and my phone boots to the Triangle-Exclamation point with the phone under it screen.

Then my phone reboots to the stock AT&T ROM again.

I think it's the Bootloader throwing it off. What should I be doing when that's up? Nothing? Should I select fastboot? Should I reboot it? 

Edit:

I retried the installation, except this time I did nothing at the bootloader screen. The CM Program on my computer eventually said it couldn't contact my phone. 

This is why I was trying to use TWRP, as this way wasn't working.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Bump: Anyone have any idea? 

Should I somehow get rid of the bootloader? 

No, you dont.

Get the recover IMG for your phone here : http://htconeroot.com/cwmtwrp-recoveries/

Install ADB and Fastboot on your PC

Connect your phone in fastboot

open a cmd window where the recovery IMG is, type

fastboot devices

You should see your phone, then type

fastboot flash recovery filename.img

and then

fastboot reboot

let phone boot, shut it down, boot into recovery, flash CM zip, fap, done

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

What I reccomend is try to relock the bootloader, do a full factory reset. Than fash CWM on it ( of course re-unlock the bootloader) and try installing it again.

Interested in Business and Technology

-snip-

Awesome. I'm already on that path having just read this. The Android SDK is installing now. Thanks for the step by step instructions.

"zip, fap, done"

Your profile picture makes that all the more amusing.

What I reccomend is try to relock the bootloader, do a full factory reset. Than fash CWM on it ( of course re-unlock the bootloader) and try installing it again.

I'm not sure how to relock the bootloader. Or do a full factory reset. What would that do? I'm illiterate when it comes to phone modding things.

† Christian Member †

Awesome. I'm already on that path having just read this. The Android SDK is installing now. Thanks for the step by step instructions.

"zip, fap, done"

Your profile picture makes that all the more amusing.

I'm not sure how to relock the bootloader. Or do a full factory reset. What would that do? I'm illiterate when it comes to phone modding things.

With ZIP i mean the CyanogenMod package zip lol

Dont lock anything.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

With ZIP i mean the CyanogenMod package zip lol

Dont lock anything.

Any progress @Vitalius?

Any progress @Vitalius?

Sorry. I haven't had time to mess with it as I've required a working phone for a while. I'll give you an update once I have made some progress or at least tried to.

† Christian Member †

Any progress @Vitalius?

I've hit a roadblock.

I'm at "type fastboot devices", but fastboot can't see my device. My phone is on the fastboot USB menu. Specifically, this is what I see on the screen:

*** TAMPERED ****** UNLOCKED ***M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RHHBOOT-1.44.0000RADIO-4A.14.3250.13OpenDSP-v26.120.274.0202eMMC-boot<date>FASTBOOT USB<commands>BOOTLOADERREBOOTREBOOT BOOTLOADERPOWER DOWN

But when I run fastboot devices, it just says "< waiting for device >". My PC says the device malfunctioned or something when I plug it into the computer, and I've tried both USB 2.0 & 3.0, along with older and newer HTC One drivers. 

Not sure what else to try. ADB sees the device just fine.

† Christian Member †

I've hit a roadblock.

I'm at "type fastboot devices", but fastboot can't see my device. My phone is on the fastboot USB menu. Specifically, this is what I see on the screen:

*** TAMPERED ****** UNLOCKED ***M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RHHBOOT-1.44.0000RADIO-4A.14.3250.13OpenDSP-v26.120.274.0202eMMC-boot<date>FASTBOOT USB<commands>BOOTLOADERREBOOTREBOOT BOOTLOADERPOWER DOWN

But when I run fastboot devices, it just says "< waiting for device >". My PC says the device malfunctioned or something when I plug it into the computer, and I've tried both USB 2.0 & 3.0, along with older and newer HTC One drivers. 

Not sure what else to try. ADB sees the device just fine.

Hmm, unistall all the drivers and try again, but this time boot Windows with driver verification turned off. Sony devices tend to do that too.

Hmm, unistall all the drivers and try again, but this time boot Windows with driver verification turned off. Sony devices tend to do that too.

I had HBOOT 1.44 on my phone. This HBOOT has an issue with Windows 8 and drivers, so he suggested I use Linux as it doesn't need drivers to communicate with the Android system (since they are so similar). Things went a lot easier after fixing that. 

Here's the thread for others who are curious on what I did to get through it all.

• HBOOT 1.55
  • Firmware 5.XX
  • TWRP 2.3.6.6
  • Cyanogenmod 10.2.1
  • Unlocked
  • S-OFF
  • No Tamper

Now I'm just trying to figure out how I want CM since it's big thing is customizability and I had no idea what I wanted to begin with. I just knew I wanted freedom.

† Christian Member †

• HBOOT 1.55
  • Firmware 5.XX
  • TWRP 2.3.6.6
  • Cyanogenmod 10.2.1
  • Unlocked
  • S-OFF
  • No Tamper

As I said, the drivers took a shit.

Glad you had it working!