SSD not reacing half of the supposed write and read speeds.

Revel
Go to solution Solved by hojnikb,

I have a problem with my SSD when it comes to write and read speeds. My friend has an SSD with around 500 read and write, his Windows 8 boots up in seconds, mine takes triple his time. We downloaded the AS SSD Benchmark program and he achieved around 450 in read and write, but when I did my test I got this. http://prntscr.com/51rwzo I have the A-data Premier Pro SP900 60GB version and it is supposed to read and write in 550 and 505. I need help on why it is so slow. Thanks!

Those speeds are perfectly normal for Sandforce drive. Sandforce uses compression, so manufacturers can use crappy flash and still hit 550/500MB/s sequential speeds. Pretty much the best way to fool novice buyers.

From adata website

Multimedia Data Transfer (AS-SSD)

Read : Up to 250MB/S 

Write : Up to 85MB/S

MAX 4K write IOPS up to 86K

I have a problem with my SSD when it comes to write and read speeds. My friend has an SSD with around 500 read and write, his Windows 8 boots up in seconds, mine takes triple his time. We downloaded the AS SSD Benchmark program and he achieved around 450 in read and write, but when I did my test I got this. http://prntscr.com/51rwzo I have the A-data Premier Pro SP900 60GB version and it is supposed to read and write in 550 and 505. I need help on why it is so slow. Thanks!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gnome Child.

It sounds like your SSD is connected in a SATA2 port or a third party SATA3 chipset as Asmedia and not directly plugged in Intel/AMD one.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

Make sure its connected to the native sata 3 controller of your motherboard.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Make sure you have AHCI mode enabled on your motherboard.

I love eating mice and I'm scared of dogs. So just like a cat. Well. What'd you expect?

It sounds like your SSD is connected in a SATA2 port or a third party SATA3 chipset as Asmedia and not directly plugged in Intel/AMD one.

What do you mean intel/amd one?

Most motherboards need to have third party SATA controller to have all the SATA ports they have because the Intel/AMD chipset is only capable of a specific amount which depends of the chipset itself. So you have some SATA ports going right to the Intel/AMD chipset and some have to go through a third party SATA controller which explain your low performance results of your SSD.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

My motherboard is an Asus m5a97 r2.0 by the way.

DON'T connect the SSD in Sata port 5 or 6 and set all SATA ports in AHCI mode. But there is a thing, if you formated/installed your Windows on IDE mode and you change it to AHCI, it won't boot your Windows anymore. The AHCI should be on by default by reading about this AMD motherboard.

DON'T connect the SSD in Sata port 5 or 6 and set all SATA ports in AHCI mode. But there is a thing, if you formated/installed your Windows on IDE mode and you change it to AHCI, it won't boot your Windows anymore. The AHCI should be on by default by reading about this AMD motherboard.

Indeed it is in AHCI mode.

Check for the right ports and if you were doing something else from your SSD while you were benchmarking it, it would explain the low performance results.

Check for the right ports and if you were doing something else from your SSD while you were benchmarking it, it would explain the low performance results.

I just did another test and got the same results.

Edit: I did it almost a minute after I did a computer restart.

What SATA port your SSD is plugged in ?

What SATA port your SSD is plugged in ?

Number 1

Bump

Try another SATA cable

All SSDs say "Up to" a certain speed it isn't guaranteed.  However I see you are using an old AMD board they may be SATA 3 but seems the driver may be holding it back. I had a M5A99FX Pro R2.0 with a 840 EVO and only getting 470ish read, 400 wright. When I switched to intel z97 board i now get 550 Read 530 Write. Also the random read(iops) jumped from 60k to 90k. So more then likely AMD is holding it back. 

All SSDs say "Up to" a certain speed it isn't guaranteed.  However I see you are using an old AMD board they may be SATA 3 but seems the driver may be holding it back. I had a M5A99FX Pro R2.0 with a 840 EVO and only getting 470ish read, 400 wright. When I switched to intel z97 board i now get 550 Read 530 Write. Also the random read(iops) jumped from 60k to 90k. So more then likely AMD is holding it back. 

Alright, thanks.

Those speeds are perfectly normal for Sandforce drive. Sandforce uses compression, so manufacturers can use crappy flash and still hit 550/500MB/s sequential speeds. Pretty much the best way to fool novice buyers.

From adata website

Multimedia Data Transfer (AS-SSD)

Read : Up to 250MB/S 

Write : Up to 85MB/S

MAX 4K write IOPS up to 86K

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

You are using the 60GB version, with flash storage, 60GB uses the fewest channels, and thus, it will run significantly slower. You do not get anything close to advertised speeds unless you are using an SSD that is around around 256GB+.

Also keep in mind that with lower end SSD's after more than half of the storage space is used, writes will slow down, as the SSD must engage in additional internal IO's in order to pack in 2 bits per cell.

Goddammit A-data, Corsair SSD's any better?

Goddammit A-data, Corsair SSD's any better?

No. Well, depends on the model.

But right now, crucial mx100 offer best bang for the buck. And no silly compression like sandforce.

No. Well, depends on the model.

But right now, crucial mx100 offer best bang for the buck. And no silly compression like sandforce.

Doesn't that SSD write in like 150/mbps?

Doesn't that SSD write in like 150/mbps?

So ?

Is that a problem ?

Write speeds doesnt matter much with ssd (as you would be doing reads most of the time anyway). And 150MB/s is pretty decent for a 128GB ssd. Again, don't get fooled by tricks, which offer 550/500MB/s on even lowest capacities. Many of those budget ssds can't even hit that, when hammered with incompressible data.

So ?

Is that a problem ?

Write speeds doesnt matter much with ssd (as you would be doing reads most of the time anyway). And 150MB/s is pretty decent for a 128GB ssd. Again, don't get fooled by tricks, which offer 550/500MB/s on even lowest capacities. Many of those budget ssds can't even hit that, when hammered with incompressible data.

Alright, might look into buying it then, because this A-data is really getting on my nerves. Thanks for the help.