Ripped Off Part of My USB Header

eja642
Go to solution Solved by ManWithBeard1990,

Happened to me once too. You can just put it back on, but there's a caveat: make sure not to put it on backwards because it will fit but won't work, and switching the pins can damage your equipment. What I'd do is find a picture of that particular board to make sure the plastic it isn't backwards.

I have an ASUS Z97M-Plus motherboard(Micro ATX). Today I was trying to install my new GPU. I realized I needed to reroute the USB 3.0 front panel cable in order for the GPU to fit.

In an attempt to unplug the USB cable from the header, I pulled off the plastic bit that surrounds the pins. I don't know what to call this little piece. I wasn't particularly rough with it. Just wiggled it when it wouldn't budge. After my 3rd or 4th wiggle I heard and felt it break loose. Was that just the adhesive pulling from the board?

There doesn't appear to be any damaged pins.

It was a hell of a time getting the plastic piece detached from the end of my USB cable. It felt like my fingernails would budge before it would. I had to pry it off with the back of my knife.

What should I do? Try to re-seat the plastic bit on the pins? How would I go about this?

The board is only a month or two old, so it's certainly still under warranty. Should I just swap it out for a new one? I waited a while for my GPU to come back in stock, so I can wait a few more days if need be.

Photos here: http://imgur.com/a/xqyj0#0

The first ones are of the plastic piece attached to the USB cable. The next two are (poor quality) pictures of the exposed pins. The final few are of the plastic piece after being pried from the end of the cable.

tl;dr: Broke off the plastic bit that houses the USB pins. Should I attempt to reattach it myself, or just RMA the board? http://imgur.com/a/xqyj0#0

td;lr motherboard USB 3.0 connector came off with little effort when OP was taking out the cable RMA or swap?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

-words- 

RMA as a manufacturing defect? 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

RMA as a manufacturing defect? 

Is it not a manufacturing defect? It broke while being used as intended.

But it is a defect. You can lie a little bit when RMAing things you know. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

It is either manufacturing defect, or you did something you are not supposed to.

Anyhoo I would probably try to RMA it myself.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

But it is a defect. You can lie a little bit when RMAing things you know. 

I misunderstood your initial post. Thanks. 

It is either manufacturing defect, or you did something you are not supposed to.

Anyhoo I would probably try to RMA it myself.

I guess that's what I'll have to do. Seems like a lot more work than trying to fit the piece back on to the pins, but it's not worth the risk of damaging it further. Really annoying, I just wanted to play with my new GPU :(

Not a big deal, it'll still work. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Happened to me once too. You can just put it back on, but there's a caveat: make sure not to put it on backwards because it will fit but won't work, and switching the pins can damage your equipment. What I'd do is find a picture of that particular board to make sure the plastic it isn't backwards.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Not a big deal, it'll still work. 

Have you come across this problem before? You'e likely, as all of the pins seem like they're fine, but I'm not sure they will be after I try to put it back on.

Thanks for the tip.

Have you since unplugged the USB from that header? If so, did the problem reoccur?

Also, is the connector as physically stable as it was originally? Or is there some play in it? I don't want it coming loose unexpectedly.

Have you come across this problem before? You'e likely, as all of the pins seem like they're fine, but I'm not sure they will be after I try to put it back on.

I have not, but since you only ripped some plastic, it really should not matter. The worst problem I can see is the possibilty of the connector coming loose if you tug on it.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Thanks for the tip.

Have you since unplugged the USB from that header? If so, did the problem reoccur?

Also, is the connector as physically stable as it was originally? Or is there some play in it? I don't want it coming loose unexpectedly.

That connector is still in there and has been for 2 years. It's stable enough.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

That connector is still in there and has been for 2 years. It's stable enough.

Was able to push it back into place. Took a little bit of pressure. I guess the friction of the pins is enough to just keep it in place solidly.

Thanks man!!  :D