Linus and Luke should stand up for the WAN show (rather than sit).

Hello,

I'm not very active on the forum, but I would like to see Linus and Luke stand up for the WAN show.

The WAN show is over one hour and 30 minutes and they and any guests are quite literally sitting the entire time.

I have QUICKLY turned my desk into a "standing desk" within 10 minutes.

I used a bunch of boxes and DVD / gamecube (medal of honor) cases.

My only gripe is my keyboard is too high and tying this right now is NOT comfortable.

Here is a link that shows standing rather than sitting is MUCH healthier.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/five-health-benefits-standing-desks-180950259/?no-ist

I'd also like to know if anyone else here using a standing desk.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

Hello,

I'm not very active on the forum, but I would like to se Linus and Luke stand up for the WAN show.

The WAN show is over one hour and 30 minutes and they and any guests are quite literally sitting the entire time.

I have QUICKLY turned my desk into a "standing desk" within 10 minutes.

I used a bunch of boxes and DVD / gamecube (medal of honor) cases.

My only gripe is my keyboard is too high and tying this right now is NOT comfortable.

Here is a link that shows standing rather than sitting is MUCH healthier.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/five-health-benefits-standing-desks-180950259/?no-ist

I'd also like to know if anyone else here using a standing desk.

Thanks,

Tim.

They have the expensive desks that go from standing to sitting posistions..

But who wants to stand that long....

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

aah luke and taren both have standing desks

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

I would invest in a VertDesk (the ones LMG uses) if I wanted to stand while at my computer, but the VertDesk is $1200.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Your link doesn't suggest standing all the time "If you're going to start doing so, most experts recommend splitting your time between standing and sitting, because standing all day can lead to back, knee or foot problems."

Desktop: i7-4790k, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, 2xR9 290 Vapor-X's (1 working atm), Asus Z97-Pro, NZXT H440 White, 16GB G. Skill Sniper RAM, NZXT HALE V90 850W.

Laptop: Samsung Chromebook 11.6" 

Phone: 8GB Galaxy S4

That really is up to them, but considering how often they say that they are tired during the stream, my bet is they will keep sitting.

I agree that standing is much healthier, although when trying to present a show of that format, it would be harder (I think) for Linus and Luke to keep as much focus on the topic, since they would have to think about standing up. Idk. It would also add more movement into the frame which could cause nausea to some viewers. Honestly this is just speculation, and I can imagine it would be a big hassle to set up the Wan Show room for standing, but I guess it could add to the show in other ways, if not the presenters' health.

BLACKWIDOW: i5 4690k - MSI GTX970 - 2x 4gb GSkill RJ X - 256gb MX100 - 1tb WD Blue - NZXT H440

ew a one poster with an opinion. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

This isn't Top Gear, why would they want to stand for that long?

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

aah luke and taren both have standing desks

awesome, I didn't know this!

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

Standing for an hour and a half isn't long. Most of my days I spend 3+ hours standing.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

OK so obviously it would be too much to stand for the whole time - great point everyone, but maybe they could do both -- stand for 20 - 30 minutes, and sit for 10 or 15 and then stand up again.

(also did you get the reference on the choice of text in the first post?)

Software suggestions

That really is up to them, but considering how often they say that they are tired during the stream, my bet is they will keep sitting.

Yeah, I think they don't do this anymore -- I have noticed they say they are tired in the past, and they are up at 4 AM in the morning showing benchmarks... I suggested they get some lamps with low wattage Incandescent bulbs so they can go back to sleep easier when they are up that late but so far they haven't seemed to have responded to it.

Anyway they seem to have it under control now and I think they are doing better.

Software suggestions

I dont think there is anything wrong with them sitting for the wan show. Also, THAT FONT HURTS

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Its a chilling, relaxing type of a show. Let them have a rest.

AMD FX-8350 @4GHz / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / G.Skill RipJaw X 8GB 1866Mhz / Samsung 840 120GB SSD / Sapphire R9 270X Toxic / Corsair CX500 / Fractal Design Define R4 / Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue / Xiaomi  Piston 2.0 / Steelseries Sensei / LG G3 32GB

I dont think there is anything wrong with them sitting for the wan show. Also, THAT FONT HURTS

Did you see it when it was pnik / bold / italic comic sans?

Software suggestions

Its a chilling, relaxing type of a show. Let them have a rest.

Ah good point!

Software suggestions

Yeah standing for long periods of time without moving can be just as bad as sitting

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

TV anchors? Sit. 

Radio hosts? Sit. 

Colour commentators? Sit. FFS, the athletes they talk about are also sitting unless its literally down to the wire and they are anxious. 

I don't know if you've ever had a job that involved standing or sitting in the same place, but its not fun. Neither is being on your feet all day. Days I'm in the clinic are entertaining. Standing in the same spot gets painful. Sitting that long gets painful. I have to shuffle around every 45 minutes just because I hate the feeling of soreness that comes from most seating options I have. Even my comfy as hell home chair gives me a few hours before I absolutely need to stand up and walk around. 

Plus, its the WAN Show. Standing implies seriousness and not comfort and relaxed. 

They still sit during the news though. Also when they have the celeb interviews. I can't imagine being an audience member for a TopGear show - I'd probably pass out (really out of shape)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Standing for an hour and a half isn't long. Most of my days I spend 3+ hours standing.

But for 1.5 hours of nonstop standing on top of being tired from a long day, just can't see the benefit.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

You ever been sitting on the couch with bunch of people together watching TV, and there's that one person off to the side standing there? Everyone wants to punch that person until they sit down, because someone standing means "this is not the time for relaxing." I think if Linus and Luke were standing, I would either be unable to relax while watching the WAN Show, or I would be expecting them to leave the room at any moment.

bad idea is bad.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I literally don't understand why you would want or need them to stand up, the only benefit is that maybe it's healthier and they might be a tiny bit more active, but it's a waste of their energy and would be very uncomfortable