4790 on a Z87

ttam

Has anyone run into performance problems for something like this? Flashed over a old Asus VI Hero board and tossed in a spare 4790k for a friend to use (recently out of the Marines) so we can game together but it's just not running right. It's on a GTX 780 TI, 16gb of ram and a 500GB 840 SSD... All working parts but it just seems choppy as hell. Can toss the 4790k in another system and runs fine with same components, and same thing for the mobo.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

It would work, you would just have to make sure its got the most recent bios. (for z87 boards)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It would work, you would just have to make sure its got the most recent bios. (for z87 boards)

It's been flashed to the latest one. Performance in Windows is just sluggish and it's only this 4790 and asus board together. Separately with different parts they work great.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix

It's been flashed to the latest one. Performance in Windows is just sluggish and it's only this 4790 and asus board together. Separately with different parts they work great.

that's odd. rma the board for lols? and see if it a was just that board? 

that's odd. rma the board for lols? and see if it a was just that board? 

I can pop up a 4770k in the same setup and it works fine. Or I can pop the 4790k into my test bench system and it works fine. These two just don't like each other and I don't have another Z87 board to test it with :(

They should be fully working as far as I know. And most Mobo's (Z87) released latest bios version for it to be able to run DC CPU's.

Did you check your Mobo / CPU-Z Mainboard Tab : see if its atleast Bios version 1504

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @4.5Ghz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 | Cooler : Cryorig R1 Ultimate | Ram: 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 2-Way SLi | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo / 4x2TB Caviar Black | PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 | Windows 7 64-bit  | Case: Enthoo Pro | オール・イズ・バニッティー (all is vanity)

If you work hard, you can make your own Luck.

Depending a bit on which mobo.

@JayzTwoCents had allot of issues with his Z87 Gigabyte board and 4790K.

The Gigabyte bios was overvolting the 4790K.

I second that^, Checked some more Z87 with DC, alot of people are having problems with it too... 

I guess the best way for it really is to sell your z8x mobo then get a nice Z97 Alternative. I guess the compatibility can only be fix through hardware, since most software update they did causes alot of problem if you pair it with the Z87 because after all the Z9x will be for Broadwell's as well.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @4.5Ghz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 | Cooler : Cryorig R1 Ultimate | Ram: 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 2-Way SLi | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo / 4x2TB Caviar Black | PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 | Windows 7 64-bit  | Case: Enthoo Pro | オール・イズ・バニッティー (all is vanity)

If you work hard, you can make your own Luck.

It is actually not really recommended to use Haswell Refresh CPUs on Intel Z87 boards...

There's nothing saying that you can't use them on these boards, but Z87 boards were designed for Haswell CPUs (Intel Core i7-4770K, for example), so it may not always work well with newer CPUs. (aka Devil's Canyon, if I recall correctly.)

On the contrary a i7-4770K works just fine on a Z97.

kompooterz.

Well op using a Asus maximus 6 hero, i think he might be allright.

i would atleast just try it, and look how it runs.

check the voltages carefully.

Asus was the first company that came with a bios update for theire Z87 board. for DC support.

I personaly do trust Asus on that.

It is actually not really recommended to use Haswell Refresh CPUs on Intel Z87 boards...

There's nothing saying that you can't use them on these boards, but Z87 boards were designed for Haswell CPUs (Intel Core i7-4770K, for example), so it may not always work well with newer CPUs.

On the contrary a i7-4770K works just fine on a Z97.

Well op using a Asus maximus 6 hero, i think he might be allright.

i would atleast just try it, and look how it runs.

check the voltages carefully.

Asus was the first company that came with a bios update for theire Z87 board. for DC support.

I personaly do trust Asus on that.

I took it to work to test it on a Z87 Gigabyte board I have in my work machine and it all works fine. Just this one Asus board is having a fit.