960gm/u3s3 voltage regulators.

So my voltage regulators on my motherboard are overheating. I know this because they burn my finger to the touch and causes serious fps drops when I'm playing cpu intensive games. And example is playing bf4 on max settings at 60fps then at random intervals dropping down to 10 fps. I think it does this because it slows everything down in order to cool itself.

My specs are.

cpu; fx 8320. with hyper evo 212. For cooler. Max temp is 55c on heavy load.

Motherboard; 960gm/u3s3

Gpu, gigabytes windforce gtx 970

Psu; 675 wat. Forget brand.

saTa 3 hardrives.

I forget case name, its a thermaltake one.

Anyway my question is how can I fix this problem? Atm I have a fan blowing directly on to the voltage regulators and have turned my cpu down from 3.5ghz to 3.3ghz. This barely keeps them cool enough to play games. But as I live in the Australian outback the Warmer weather is on the way.

Does anyone have any suggestions that may help?.I dont mind buying a new motherboard if it comes down to that.I can include photo of current setup if wanted.

Please help!!! This is driving me mad.

Btw I'm sort of a noob at computers. Can you please explain? (Helps me learn)

Remember to quote posts if you're replying to them. Anyway, he says that you have 2 options: reducing the CPU voltage and getting a different board. By reducing the voltage, you are reducing the load on the VRMs and make them run cooler. By getting a different board (must be from 900 series, e.g 990FX) you get better VRMs capable of providing more power to your CPU. Is your case ATX or mATX?

The thing is, the 760G chipset you have, is old. It doesn't support SATA3, USB3, PCIe Gen 3 and many other features. And as the board is older, it's not designed for modern CPUs (e.g the FX series). FX CPUs are known to be heavy power hogs that require proper VRMs with heatsinks on them. And as the 900-series was launched with Bulldozer (FX-x1xx series), the boards too had better VRMs.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

The board you have is based on the 760G chipset from 2008. The voltage regulators are only on a 4+1 power phase which for a 125W chip is pushing it (Which is why they're roasting).

Underclocking a chip won't drop the TDP, you'd need to undervolt it.

If you change manual voltage to 1.2v and set clock speed to 15x (3000mhz).

Ahh okay. That is bit more helpful lol. Okay I will do that for now. But you think i should upgrade motherboard??

Ahh okay. That is bit more helpful lol. Okay I will do that for now. But you think i should upgrade motherboard??

Yes, if your case is ATX.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

How would I find out if it's atx?? It sounds familiar thou lol

My case is thermaltake chaser a21 mid tower

Mid tower? That's fine then.

If you'd like a good board on the cheap the Gigabyte 970-UD3P is worth a look. As is the MSI 970 Gaming and the M5A97 EVO R2.0.

If you can spend more the Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 is nice.