Consumers wasted at least $300 million paying for AT&T’s ‘unlimited’ data

Victorious Secret

ftc-building.jpg

Oh dear, ATT really fucked of a lot of people with their "unlimited data" nonsense. Thats a lot of extra money earned for not offering the service they should've offered. 

I am very appalled that they thought this was okay to do, but hey its ATT as if they have ever cared about consumer rights and giving you bang for your buck. I suggest you all go read the source for a far more in depth look at this, since I can't do it any justice in trying to explain it. 

TL;DR: ATT is basically the Devil on this one. If the Devil were a cheap bastard.

First, here's the quick summary. AT&T may have lost consumers anywhere from $300 million to over $1 billion or more.

That $300 million figure may not sound like much, considering the company allegedly misled 3.5 million customers a total of 25 million times over the course of three years. Indeed, $300 million is just a fraction of AT&T's annual revenue — two-tenths of a percent, to be exact. But what's pocket change to a wireless company is big money to consumers and for the FTC: $300 million is 13 times greater than the biggest fine the FTC has ever levied and (for a more apples-to-apples comparison) nearly four times greater than the agency's biggest restitution award against a wireless carrier.

And remember that $300 million is just a conservative baseline figure. Economists and lawyers from both sides are going to argue that damages should be calculated in all kinds of other ways, which we'll go into below.

With that said, let's start running some numbers. We can begin with a simplified equation that multiplies the number of times the throttling allegedly happened (25 million) by the amount of money AT&T extracted from affected users during throttled periods ($1 per day, or $12 every month). This should yield the amount of money that AT&T collected in subscription fees, from everybody on an affected unlimited plan, just during the throttled periods.

(25 million instances of throttling) x ($12, for 12 days of throttled service per month) = $300 million

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/10/31/consumers-wasted-at-least-300-million-paying-for-atts-unlimited-data/?tid=rssfeed

AT&T fucks people over on a lot of things, not just their "unlimited" data

"Rawr XD"

This is why I use T-Mo bruh

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Remember the crying "consumers are oversaturating our networks"

Funny how they kept quiet while collection additional $300 mil.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?