Question about Wireless Network Adapters

Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,

Hi! So my friend is just about to buy his first PC. I picked out the parts and we're about to go pick it up. He just informed me that the place he will set it up has no Ethernet ports... Being a noob at networking, I need help finding an adapter that will work with his old 802.11b/g access point (Lynksis Wireless-G 2.4 GHz to be specific). If he were to go get a USB 802.11n WiFi adapter for his computer, would it work? I know it'll be bottlenecked but slow internet is better than no internet.

Wireless N devices will connect to Wireless G networks perfectly fine, bandwidth will just be limited to G speeds. In terms of adapters I've always had better luck with PCIe network adapters then USB ones. I'd recommend an Asus PCE-N15. I have a brand new one I'd sell for 10 bucks if you're willing to come by and get it.

Hi! So my friend is just about to buy his first PC. I picked out the parts and we're about to go pick it up. He just informed me that the place he will set it up has no Ethernet ports... Being a noob at networking, I need help finding an adapter that will work with his old 802.11b/g access point (Lynksis Wireless-G 2.4 GHz to be specific). If he were to go get a USB 802.11n WiFi adapter for his computer, would it work? I know it'll be bottlenecked but slow internet is better than no internet.

Thanks!

Wireless N devices will connect to Wireless G networks perfectly fine, bandwidth will just be limited to G speeds. In terms of adapters I've always had better luck with PCIe network adapters then USB ones. I'd recommend an Asus PCE-N15. I have a brand new one I'd sell for 10 bucks if you're willing to come by and get it.

"Rawr XD"

Usually yes, most Wifi N device are backward compatible with Wifi G. It should say on the box or the manufacturer's website.

Adding a PCI-E wifi card will drain a amount of PCI-E lanes used for the graphic card.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

sorry for double posting

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

Adding a PCI-E wifi card will drain a amount of PCI-E lanes used for the graphic card.

This isn't really an issue, since with AMD chipsets you'll have PCIe lanes to spare, and with Intel chipsets the x1 slots run off the chipset on the mobo, not affecting the graphics-only lanes coming straight from the CPU.

"Rawr XD"

I am willing to go get it, but the problem is, the MoBo is an mITX and there is, of course, a GPU in the only PCIe slot

I am willing to go get it, but the problem is, the MoBo is an mITX and there is, of course, a GPU in the only PCIe slot

I have a Netgear USB one too, this one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122227 but I'm pretty sure I lost the cap for it.

edit: wow he gets the best answer...

"Rawr XD"