Modern Vs Classic [Yes, another gun thread]

Jack.EXE

I do not want your opinions on Pro gun or anti-gun, I just want your views on classic Vs modern stylings & tech of weapons.

They really are an amazing tool, and can be a work of art.

uavepr_001.jpg

I love guns like Russia's Vepr here, a mix of classic character with a spice of modern tech, truly before it's time.

So, What's your favourites?

The anything made by or inspired by Mikhail Kalashnikov's designs I love. The Soviets in the 20th century were absolutely brilliant in terms of technology. Although in terms of aesthetics I do like the older look of the AK-74s/47s rather than the newer variants.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

M4A1-S. Good Spray pattern and silencer. Gives me the most headshots.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Gonna have to say classic with a few exceptions like the MP7, UMP-45, SCAR-H, ACE 52 CQB and the SG 553 :D

Steve

The anything made by or inspired by Mikhail Kalashnikov's designs I love. The Soviets in the 20th century were absolutely brilliant in terms of technology. Although in terms of aesthetics I do like the older look of the AK-74s/47s rather than the newer variants.

but the germans had superior tanks in the second world war 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

This is on my profile

Favourite sniper rifle: Barrett M107
Favourite assault rifle: SA80
Favourite pistol:M9
Favourite sub-machine gun: PPsh-41
Favourite light-machine gun: M240b

I mostly like modern guns but some older weapons are nice, very used a gun so i have to rely on pictures and appearances

Some other favourites

M110
M110_ECP_Right_Bipod.jpg
fg42
germany-FG-42.jpg
XM8 s
xm8_sniper_rifle_by_zehfox-d3edr78.jpg
M99

barrettm-1.jpg

mosin nagant

Mosin_Nagant_M38_2nd.JPG

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

the panzer tigers and stugs were monsters. You sure are right there.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The Germans barely made tanks: the British were the first to make and use them! The Germans mostly fixed up and used captured British tanks and only utilised very few of their own in the last few months of WW1

BLACKWIDOW: i5 4690k - MSI GTX970 - 2x 4gb GSkill RJ X - 256gb MX100 - 1tb WD Blue - NZXT H440

M4A1-S. Good Spray pattern and silencer. Gives me the most headshots.

SCAR 20 FTW :D 

Well the soviets were in deep shit with the aircraft side of things, their lagg series was made of wood, stukas went to town on them, fw190s and bf109s followed suit, then there is the do 217 which was better then the il2, more guns, faster, didnt have drunk pilots. Im not too sure after the war but germany was way ahead of the game when it came to air craft, honestly a year later they would of finished the development of a wing bomber, faster then any other bomber it would of had the ability to drop 3000kg of hell in a flash, luckily it never did take flight, because if it did then that bomber alone would of turned the tides(probably not, sure the americans would have thrown a few more "little boys" at the axis had they continued to fight.

Listen if you care.

Well the soviets were in deep shit with the aircraft side of things, their lagg series was made of wood, stukas went to town on them, fw190s and bf109s followed suit, then there is the do 217 which was better then the il2, more guns, faster, didnt have drunk pilots. Im not too sure after the war but germany was way ahead of the game when it came to air craft, honestly a year later they would of finished the development of a wing bomber, faster then any other bomber it would of had the ability to drop 3000kg of hell in a flash, luckily it never did take flight, because if it did then that bomber alone would of turned the tides(probably not, sure the americans would have thrown a few more "little boys" at the axis had they continued to fight.

soviet planes were pretty bad, they had some neat ideas but design doctrine ruined most of it

Definetly bigger fan of older design of weapons, cars and general everything.

everything was built to last back then. ( definetly biased as i own a car from 1956 and drive it daily during the summer )

doesnt matter where you look, Colt, AK, HK, FN, CETME, M1 Garand,ect,ect

they are all built to outlast its users.

One of my favorite gun designs of all time is the Colt 1862 Navy Revolver.

Colt1862Navy.jpg

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

The US still uses M14s for desert warfare, It's hard to break such a gun.

soviet planes were pretty bad, they had some neat ideas but design doctrine ruined most of it

i believe the la 5(f & fn), la 7 and la 9 were great, and yeah thats about it i think.

Then the list for the british, americans, germans, austrians, french, italians and japanese(only kinder, japan has a few weird ones as well) are way better and longer.

Listen if you care.

Anything from the 20th century is pretty good with me.

DAT FG42 DOH

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

@Matimo I'm talking about ww2 i know nothing about ww1

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

i believe the la 5(f & fn), la 7 and la 9 were great, and yeah thats about it i think.

Then the list for the british, americans, germans, austrians, french, italians and japanese(only kinder, japan has a few weird ones as well) are way better and longer.

]

they were still fortunately/unfortunately depending on how you view the soviets in ww2, gimped by there design doctrine. of mass mass production and simple controls etc

How modern are we talking? 

Assault_rifle.png

4_Morph_Gun_Jak_II.png

:wub:

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Classics. Hands down 

Muskets and flintlock pistols in particular

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Styling - I really like more classical firearms, wood and metal. They have a certain aesthetic appeal I enjoy.

aNIEGFU.jpg

Tech - As far as usability and ergonomics are concerned, I think that lends itself well to synthetic polymers and the modern designs.

nVygJMI.jpg

So I like both for different reasons.

I really liked the Soviet Space Program. But in reality I feel like you could look at almost all branches of soviet tech and come to a similar conclusion. Theirs was set up so different R&D teams competed with each other within the program leading to each team trying to outsmart the other. This turned out to be extremely effective since after the cold war when the Americans and the Soviets finally began sharing technology, the Americans thought it was impossible their engines could be so fuel efficient. During WWII Germany was seen as the tech giants but afterwards I feel like the Soviets quietly filled the void without anyone else really noticing xD

Modern = faster, lighter, more powerful, more efficient, easier to handle.

That is somewhat wrong.

Modern = Lighter, faster, and easier to handle. People realized it doesn't take a lot to kill someone.

However classic usually was more powerful, more reliable (I am looking at you AR-15), and more cost effective(less automatics). 

The design philosophy has changed in recent times (for the better mostly) but the classics still do their jobs really.