Is the build good?

Go to solution Solved by thekeemo,

I would have gone with z97 and had dual 970's but this works too

Hey Guys!

What do you think of the following potential build?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.97 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($106.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($204.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Intel 530 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($349.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($349.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050016-RLED 52.2 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($19.91 @ Mwave) 
Total: $1641.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-01 08:54 EDT-0400

Please note I will also be adding on a spare WD hard drive for storage

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Looking great to me ;)

BLACKWIDOW: i5 4690k - MSI GTX970 - 2x 4gb GSkill RJ X - 256gb MX100 - 1tb WD Blue - NZXT H440

If the 970m benchmarks are anything to go from, then a cheaper CPU and motherboard would pose a HUGE performance boost! Incidentally I just bought the same graphics card too, looks amazing, hope you enjoy yours.

BLACKWIDOW: i5 4690k - MSI GTX970 - 2x 4gb GSkill RJ X - 256gb MX100 - 1tb WD Blue - NZXT H440

What will you be using it for?

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

the 970 doesnt makes sense to me in this build

the CPU utilization is going to be low while the gpu is going to have a sweat :D

rather go with 4790K and z97 and DDR3 and go with 980 which will make it more balanced and you will gain much more fps in games than lose by going with 4790K

but it also depends on what type of usage are you targeting

regarding ssd i understand you are going with an intel sdd but crucial seems to be quite good and their mx100 256 GB is i think the best price/capacity ssd there is on the market today

also 1600 dollar build and 30 dollar psu ???? are you sure, you trust a 30 dollar piece of equipment to protect other 1600 dollars ??? really ? psu wattage is good if you dont want to overclock, brand is also good but i would suggest you up the ante and spends at least 70 dollars on a gold certification

Lenovo E330 i5-3230M, 8GB RAM, 250GB Samsung msata SSD

mostly paired with LG 25UM55 ultrawide + 3TB WD Elements

Trackpoint rulezz!!

Thanks for the advice guys.

What will you be using it for?

I will be using this build for video editing, streaming, and moderate gaming.

the 970 doesnt makes sense to me in this build

the CPU utilization is going to be low while the gpu is going to have a sweat :D

rather go with 4790K and z97 and DDR3 and go with 980 which will make it more balanced and you will gain much more fps in games than lose by going with 4790K

but it also depends on what type of usage are you targeting

regarding ssd i understand you are going with an intel sdd but crucial seems to be quite good and their mx100 256 GB is i think the best price/capacity ssd there is on the market today

also 1600 dollar build and 30 dollar psu ???? are you sure, you trust a 30 dollar piece of equipment to protect other 1600 dollars ??? really ? psu wattage is good if you dont want to overclock, brand is also good but i would suggest you up the ante and spends at least 70 dollars on a gold certification

I'll definitely consider the 980. From what I've seen, I don't really care about the small improvement of FPS for mid range games. I'll also take a look at crucial SSDs.

Also, one of the key reasons I am building with X99 is to be as future-proof as possible.

Another note, I'll probably wait until black friday and cyber monday to see what deals come out before I make the build final.