All I need to order my first new pc is a cpu, I7 4790k or I5 4690k...

I have everything sitting at my house except my cpu. I just can't make up my mind. I'm honestly just going to be gaming on my pc, but is the I7 really that much better at multi tasking for the price? Not that a 100 extra bucks is going to hurt my bank too much but I just can't make up my mind...

Would you guys mind pointing me in the right direction please? Will I regret not getting the I7 a few months down the road? Thank you

If you only game then you won't regret it. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I have everything sitting at my house except my cpu. I just can't make up my mind. I'm honestly just going to be gaming on my pc, but is the I7 really that much better at multi tasking for the price? Not that a 100 extra bucks is going to hurt my bank too much but I just can't make up my mind...

Would you guys mind pointing me in the right direction please? Will I regret not getting the I7 a few months down the road? Thank you

If you're just gaming, save the money and get the i5.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Even if you make a couple of videos, the money you would have put into an i7 would maybe have been better spent on a better graphics card, a bigger SSD and so on.

When in doubt: C4

save a third of the price and go for an i5

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

I would for i7, if you want to change it you would have to buy a new processor, a new motherboard and a new kit of RAM but whatever the motherboard you have, you can get any new graphic card whatever you want without having to change your whole computer.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

Assuming you have a high-end GPU, get the i7. i5 CPUs aren't able to feed GPUs like 290x and gtx 970/980 in BF4. My 4670k is bottlenecking my 290x in 64 player servers: http://i.imgur.com/iPRmQ15.png

Don't know what games you play but, if anything, the i7 is more future-proof. 

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

We have seen a small handful of titles benefit from Hyper-Threaded Core i7 processors, though.

Because we believe this is a trend that will continue as developers optimize their software, we're including the Core i7-4790K as an honorable mention,

now selling for $340. In a vast majority of games, the Core i7 won't demonstrate much advantage over the Core i5. But if you're a serious enthusiast

who wants some future-proofing and values highly-threaded application performance, this processor may be worth the extra money.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Assuming you have a high-end GPU, get the i7. i5 CPUs aren't able to feed GPUs like 290x and gtx 970/980 in BF4. My 4670k is bottlenecking my 290x in 64 player servers: http://i.imgur.com/iPRmQ15.png

Don't know what games you play but, if anything, the i7 is more future-proof.

The fuuu ? No. Just no. An i5 won't bottleneck an SLI system with any of those cards. Your problem is elsewhere, not the i5.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

i5 would be enough,

But , if you're planning to keep your PC for a bit like 4 years or more i'd say things are gonna need that few extra horsepower , chances are you won't be just using it for gaming for all those years, since you have the money , I'd strongly recommend that you go with an i7

Details separate people.

Yeah @Bigsky108 try choosing i5 4690K.

If gaming is only your best option.

But another thing is always think of future, you should not feel like "I should've gone with 4790K" for some reasons.

So think both of that, then Choose the CPU.

Good luck choosing your CPU! 

Have fun!  :)

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Sigh... I'm already 2.5-3 grand into the damn thing. I just ordered the I5, I only play moba's and rpg's anyways really. Gaming is all I'll be doing besides surfing the web. Felt good to save a 100 bucks to boot.

Thanks again guys! I can't wait to post a build log of my first pc =)

The fuuu ? No. Just no. An i5 won't bottleneck an SLI system with any of those cards. Your problem is elsewhere, not the i5.

Does the graph lie? If you look at the numbers it's obvious that the GPU was able to produce 100 fps, and I was getting 78 due to my CPU.

BF4 is a CPU heavy game, especially on 64 player servers. Bf4.exe cpu usage is around 95%, with fps being 60-90. And this is with 1 GPU.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Does the graph lie? If you look at the numbers it's obvious that the GPU was able to produce 100 fps, and I was getting 78 due to my CPU.

BF4 is a CPU heavy game, especially on 64 player servers. Bf4.exe cpu usage is around 95%, with fps being 60-90. And this is with 1 GPU.

is 60-90fps not enough for u?

out of how many games atm uses more than 2-3 threads?

if u were at max setting with 77fps with one gpu, should feel pretty good right?

is 60-90fps not enough for u?

out of how many games atm uses more than 2-3 threads?

if u were at max setting with 77fps with one gpu, should feel pretty good right?

You missed the point. My i5 is preventing my 290x from reaching its potential.