First Review of the Logitech G910 Orion Spark? (Logitech's RGB Mechanical Keyboard)

Scionyde

(Sorry in advance if this isn't tech news-worthy and belongs in the Peripherals subforum instead)

Source:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/logitech-g910-orion-spark,review-2436.html

I can't be sure, but I think this might be the first full review of Logitech's soon-to-be-released RGB mechanical keyboard. In case you haven't been paying attention, many PC peripheral companies are coming out with their RGB mechanical keyboard designs: Corsair has been using their newly developed Cherry MX RGB switches, Razer is using their Cherry-imitation Kailh switches, and Logitech is claiming to have designed a new type of mechanical switch developed in partnership with Omron.

To summarize, the main points I'm seeing in the review are these:

-The G910 will be $10 more expensive than the Corsair K70 or the Razer Blackwidow Chroma ($180 USD)

-The G910 is slightly larger than the other keyboards (19.9 x 8.3 inches versus the 18.7 x 6.7 inches on the Razer BW Chroma and 18.6 x 8.3 inches of the Corsair K70)

-Keyboard comes with two wrist rests of varying size

-Keycaps use an angular indentation rather than round, but the reviewer found them to be reasonably solid

-Logitech's new "Romer-G" switches are comparable to Cherry MX Brown, but with a slightly lower actuation point (reviewer didn't feel a drastic difference however)

-The associated software is apparently more user-friendly than Corsair's, but it lacks features such as ripple effects or the ability to link color combinations with individual games

-Recording macros on the keyboards is relatively easy.

-Software features an analysis mode to detect how often you tap keys and for how long

g910-orion-spark-rgb-mechanical-gaming-k

Personally, it seems like a decent enough keyboard to me. I'm a little disappointed that it's more expensive than the Corsair K70 (even though the K70 lacks macro keys and the K95 is $10 more expensive than the G910). This is especially since the keyboard appears to be all-plastic(I think) compared to the Corsair's aluminum finish. I also think it's unfortunate that the only option is a Cherry MX Brown clone, rather than have options comparable to Reds or Blues. Still, I rather like Browns, so it's not a dealbreaker for me. Appearance-wise, I think the keyboard looks pretty good(bonus points for not having a tramp-stamp logo?), with the exception of the wrist rest which makes it look a little too gamer-ish. However, it seems like they're removable, so I suppose that's not a huge problem. I wish the review talked a bit more about the Arx iOS/Android app, which I am a little curious about. Ultimately, I'm still torn between getting this keyboard and the K70(maybe the K95?). I look forward to seeing further reviews!

I don't like the look, I prefer clean looks on everything, but I certainly see why people would like it.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

this review hardly has any depth....

and no pictures, just press/marketing render pictures

this review could have been done without even touching the keyboard................

so many tech sites hardly even try on reviews anymore...

I've got the Logitech G710+ and was considering moving to the corsair K70/K95 rgb. They just seem a bit more "robust". This looks nice but it looks too "gamer-ish" in my opinion whereas the corsair looks a little bit more grown up....if that makes sense.

IMO it looks really good. Dealbreaker would be that they are also getting rid of Cherry MX.

Y U DO DIS?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

I'd take a subtle "tramp stamp" logo over this keyboard's design any day of the week but that's just me  :rolleyes:

What Corsair's new logo suggests this keyboard screams.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

this review hardly has any depth....

and no pictures, just press/marketing render pictures

this review could have been done without even touching the keyboard................

so many tech sites hardly even try on reviews anymore...

Heh, I kinda felt the same thing as I was typing up summary points - a few of them were details we already knew from Logitech's official announcement over a month ago. Tom's Hardware usually does pretty good multi-page reviews, but I suppose their Tom's Guide sister website doesn't do as well. :/

IMO it looks really good. Dealbreaker would be that they are also getting rid of Cherry MX.

Y U DO DIS?

I believe Corsair has a one-year exclusivity contract with Cherry on their RGB switches. So for companies like Logitech and Razer, their options are to sit on their hands for a year, or release their own versions of mechanical switches.

People think that looks gorgeous?

The asymmetric wrist rest is driving me nuts. The weird texture on the keys (like WASD) looks bad as well (in my opinion).

I don't see the appeal of this keyboard at all. It doesn't even have Cherry MX switches.

The asymmetric wrist rest is driving me nuts. The weird texture on the keys (like WASD) looks bad as well (in my opinion).

I don't see the appeal of this keyboard at all. It doesn't even have Cherry MX switches.

Its ugly as balls

I still sort of want it....I cannot explain why

Quite interested in trying omron switches, and I love the whole arx tablet/phone app thing like roccat grid

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hehe, I'll admit, I find the wrist rest a lot less appealing than Corsair's new logo. The asymmetry doesn't bother me too much, but the design of it reminds me of a particularly hideous Zalman case. xD

Still, I actually like the look of the angular keycap indentations, and they apparently seemed comfortable enough to the reviewer. I just hope the keyboard still looks decent with the ugly wrist rest removed...looking at the angled view now, it seems like there might be some kind of thin frame left behind that the wrist rest is supposed to clip onto. :unsure:

Y U DO DIS?

Because cherries are exclusive for Corsair. :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Cherry MX switches also aren't rated for as many presses as the generics which have come out. I haven't gotten the chance to try them, but come on people. Not having cherry should be far from a deal breaker.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Lol is logitech still trying to target 12 year olds? That's the ugliest fucking thing I've ever seen. 

Hey now... They make awesome keyboards for general consumers and typists. I use the K200 at school and I enjoy it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Hehe, I'll admit, I find the wrist rest a lot less appealing than Corsair's new logo. The asymmetry doesn't bother me too much, but the design of it reminds me of a particularly hideous Zalman case. xD

Still, I actually like the look of the angular keycap indentations, and they apparently seemed comfortable enough to the reviewer. I just hope the keyboard still looks decent with the ugly wrist rest removed...looking at the angled view now, it seems like there might be some kind of thin frame left behind that the wrist rest is supposed to clip onto. :unsure:

Yes there is a frame when you remove the wrist rest. It  is the one thing I don't like but I ordered it today anyways. :-)

I've tried all the other RGB keyboards and although Corsairs is probably the most flexible it is also the most broken, software wise. The software is barely alpha quality and IMO it will take them a year to finish and polish it up. So I went with this. If corsair had finished the thing before release I'd have one now but they screwed the pooch and I and many others have moved on.

I have not received a shipping notice yet but I have heard other US customers say theirs is on the way so it is shipping but only from Logitech. 

Now I have to choose between these 2...

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Cherry MX switches also aren't rated for as many presses as the generics which have come out. I haven't gotten the chance to try them, but come on people. Not having cherry should be far from a deal breaker.

Yeah I can't figure out why everyone thinks cherry is the holly grail of switches, heck most people probably never even heard of them before this year and have never touched one.

(Sorry in advance if this isn't tech news-worthy and belongs in the Peripherals subforum instead)

Source:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/logitech-g910-orion-spark,review-2436.html

I can't be sure, but I think this might be the first full review of Logitech's soon-to-be-released RGB mechanical keyboard. In case you haven't been paying attention, many PC peripheral companies are coming out with their RGB mechanical keyboard designs: Corsair has been using their newly developed Cherry MX RGB switches, Razer is using their Cherry-imitation Kailh switches, and Logitech is claiming to have designed a new type of mechanical switch developed in partnership with Omron.

To summarize, the main points I'm seeing in the review are these:

-The G910 will be $10 more expensive than the Corsair K70 or the Razer Blackwidow Chroma ($180 USD)

-The G910 is slightly larger than the other keyboards (19.9 x 8.3 inches versus the 18.7 x 6.7 inches on the Razer BW Chroma and 18.6 x 8.3 inches of the Corsair K70)

-Keyboard comes with two wrist rests of varying size

-Keycaps use an angular indentation rather than round, but the reviewer found them to be reasonably solid

-Logitech's new "Romer-G" switches are comparable to Cherry MX Brown, but with a slightly lower actuation point (reviewer didn't feel a drastic difference however)

-The associated software is apparently more user-friendly than Corsair's, but it lacks features such as ripple effects or the ability to link color combinations with individual games

-Recording macros on the keyboards is relatively easy.

-Software features an analysis mode to detect how often you tap keys and for how long

-picture snip-

Personally, it seems like a decent enough keyboard to me. I'm a little disappointed that it's more expensive than the Corsair K70 (even though the K70 lacks macro keys and the K95 is $10 more expensive than the G910). This is especially since the keyboard appears to be all-plastic(I think) compared to the Corsair's aluminum finish. I also think it's unfortunate that the only option is a Cherry MX Brown clone, rather than have options comparable to Reds or Blues. Still, I rather like Browns, so it's not a dealbreaker for me. Appearance-wise, I think the keyboard looks pretty good(bonus points for not having a tramp-stamp logo?), with the exception of the wrist rest which makes it look a little too gamer-ish. However, it seems like they're removable, so I suppose that's not a huge problem. I wish the review talked a bit more about the Arx iOS/Android app, which I am a little curious about. Ultimately, I'm still torn between getting this keyboard and the K70(maybe the K95?). I look forward to seeing further reviews!

Great specs, but UGH *vomits* it's ugly as balls. It has that stupid "Derp cheesy gamer" look to it. The G710+ is elegant and sexy, and the coloured highlights are subtle. This is about as subtle as a dump truck.

Also, I can't see the volume wheel on it, which honestly was one of the best features of the G710+. The volume wheel on the G710+ is absolutely kickass. CORRECTION: The volume wheel is indeed there, just couldn't see it in the small pictures. It appears to be the same volume wheel as the G710+ has on it.

Honestly I'd be a lot more excited about this, if it wasn't so Gaudy looking. I have the G710+ and love the look and feel of it. The only complaints were the fragile key caps (Check out the review posted in the user reviews subforum), and I spilled some soda on it and the space bar now sticks - even after repeated cleanings, and dousing the whole damn space actuator mechanism in alcohol. Though I 100% acknowledge that the second issue is user fault.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Too ugly...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

i already think my g710+ is on the edge of being to gamerish, this is just way too much

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

Great specs, but UGH *vomits* it's ugly as balls. It has that stupid "Derp cheesy gamer" look to it. The G710+ is elegant and sexy, and the coloured highlights are subtle. This is about as subtle as a dump truck.

Also, I can't see the volume wheel on it, which honestly was one of the best features of the G710+. The volume wheel on the G710+ is absolutely kickass. CORRECTION: The volume wheel is indeed there, just couldn't see it in the small pictures. It appears to be the same volume wheel as the G710+ has on it.

Honestly I'd be a lot more excited about this, if it wasn't so Gaudy looking. I have the G710+ and love the look and feel of it. The only complaints were the fragile key caps (Check out the review posted in the user reviews subforum), and I spilled some soda on it and the space bar now sticks - even after repeated cleanings, and dousing the whole damn space actuator mechanism in alcohol. Though I 100% acknowledge that the second issue is user fault.

Yeah I would have liked a more 710 style but as for "This is about as subtle as a dump truck."

Come on its BLACK :)

and you can make the keys any color you want. If you don't like super colorful colors CHANGED them.

I'm going to try it out (I've tried all the others) if it sucks in person I will return and wait for the Duck Shine 4 which as a very nice look IMO.

Really like the G910 in front of me.

One point however is really odd - hope Logitech will fix this.

When choosing a gameprofile all active keys are the same color and you cannot assign different colors to active keys.

Of yourse you can create a schema on your own, all keys in any color you like,  but this you cannot link to a profile.

So this very essential feature is not to achieve with the LG-SW - most probably this will be possible only with the SDK. (not released yet)

But how many of us are willing or able to fiddle around with the SDK?
Already asked at Logitechforum, but still no reaction from Logitech.

This basic and essential feature has to be reachable easily via the LG-SW.
This kb is made to allow this and at time of writing this it doesn`t.