Crucial MX100 vs M500,M550, Samsung 840EVO, 850PRO.

XzzDSA

Heyo o/

Crucial MX100 vs M500,M550, Samsung 840EVO, 850PRO.

I'll be getting a 512gb model, and ONLY store my games on it. All it needs to do.. Got a seperate SSD for my windows, and a separate HDD for Media.

Which one to get and for what purpose?
Price/Performance/Reliability?

Regards
  XzzDSA

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

the 850 will be the fastest and longest lasting i would reccomend the 840pro as it is barly slower and much less

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

850 PRO is the best between those for your needs. Games use Random Read performance.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

]Which one to get and for what purpose?

Price/Performance/Reliability?

SP610

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

850 PRO is the best between those for your needs.

For my 'purpose'... Ehh, speeds not really..

Not able to tell the speeds between them when doing exactly that, loading games.

The reason I'm hesitant from the 850pro is the price.. It's almost double the rest of them...

I like the 10 year warrenty.. And I know samsung in general makes good SSDs..

But as I've heard, so does Crucial, intel and so on.

But tbh. I'd really like a NAND-flash SSD, instead of TLC-flash.

So that's another thing that's intising about the 850 pro.

But again, it's double the price...

- Cool right?

You means a MLC instead of TLC, Random Read isn't Sequential Read as advertissed as 550 Mb/s on most SSDs. Games use Random Read and not Sequential Read.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

The difference in performance of the so called "professional SSDs" like the 840 PRO, 850 PRO and MX 550 is not worth the premium you're paying. Even more because you'll be using it for games only. Every once in a while you'll need to load something from the SSD and paying $100+ for a "faster" SSD that will make your game load 3~6 seconds faster is not worth it, IMO.

I'd rather get more space from a "slower" SSD (840 EVO or MX100) than less space with a faster SSD.

Regarding warranty, unless you're extremely unlucky, don't worry about 10 year warranty. Once someone said this and I have to agree: "The reason why they have 10 year warranty for their new 850 PRO's is because they have no idea how the new NAND cells will behave in a long time use because it's so new".

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

If computers were so simple you would be a technician by now.

You means a MLC instead of TLC, Random Read isn't Sequential Read as advertissed as 550 Mb/s on most SSDs. Games use Random Read and not Sequential Read.

Hmm.. MLC ofcourse*

But is it justifiable spending so much more on an 850pro over the others? I'm just not sure at all.

- Cool right?

There aren't such a thing as ''professionnal SSDs''.

Yes it is if what you will be using it for will actually use the Random Read performance as games and OS. Copying files and rendering videos won't get benefits that much because they use Sequential Read.

It's how the SSD work, games and OS don't get loaded from 1 point to another each time the same way as a video get read to render it.

In my setup I use two of the best Random Read performance SSD in RAID 0 for my games and a EVO one for my rendering performance that I boost with RAPID which use my RAM to get to over 6000 Mb/s sequential read performance but high latency.

In my setup I use two of the best Random Read performance SSD in RAID 0 for my games and a EVO one for my rendering performance that I boost with RAPID which use my RAM to get to over 6000 Mb/s sequential read performance but high latency.

All of this. means nothing to me..

I'm not an enthusiast for performance.. It's an SSD and it's much faster than any HDD or hybrid drive would ever be. I understand newer ssds are marginally faster. But I'm not sure I want to spend so much on an ssd. And I'm leaning towards the MX100.

The MX100 still uses NAND which is proberly my main concern when buying an SSD.

Thanks for your input though - ANd the rest of you :D

- Cool right?

All SSDs I know use NAND.. it's not about enthusiat, it's about the best for the money for your usage. Don't expect no where near 300 mb/s on any SSDs when it comes to gaming (Random Read) so the performance increase on 850 PRO is way more significant.

All SSDs I know use NAND.. it's not about enthusiat, it's about the best for the money for your usage. Don't expect no where near 300 mb/s on any SSDs when it comes to gaming (Random Read) so the performance increase on 850 PRO is way more significant.

"Money for your usage".

To me the percieved performance increase is only justifiable for anyone who is really enthusiastic about their storage solutions. Like it seems like you are, which is totally fine. I'm just not one of you.

EDIT: 840EVO uses MLC and other similar budget SSDs

- Cool right?

I have an mx100 and its a great and inexpensive option. If you have the money get the 850 pro. That thing is amazing. :)

There aren't such a thing as ''professionnal SSDs''.

other than the entire line of ssds that are made for professional use....

Any kind of hardware that's designed for high performance and thus will benefit professional users (people that make a living out of working with that said hardware) is a professional grade piece of hardware (you might confuse it with enthusiast, which's just someone that can afford professional grade stuff but doesn't have to), IMO.

Anyway, I think there are many better places to spend your money other than on your SSD. As I said before, I'd rather get more space of a slower SSD than less space of a faster SSD. Or get a better GPU/CPU/Memory. Either way, it's all about how much you can afford. Hell, I wish I had 2 850 PROs in RAID 0. As the OP didn't mention budget, current system, etc, I'm just sharing my thoughts that an SSD is not where you want to spend your money if you want better performance for games, not talking about rendering, having a home server, etc.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

Any kind of hardware that's designed for high performance and thus will benefit professional users (people that make a living out of working with that said hardware) is a professional grade piece of hardware (you might confuse it with enthusiast, which's just someone that can afford professional grade stuff but doesn't have to), IMO.

Anyway, I think there are many better places to spend your money other than on your SSD. As I said before, I'd rather get more space of a slower SSD than less space of a faster SSD. Or get a better GPU/CPU/Memory. Either way, it's all about how much you can afford. Hell, I wish I had 2 850 PROs in RAID 0. As the OP didn't mention budget, current system, etc, I'm just sharing my thoughts that an SSD is not where you want to spend your money if you want better performance for games, not talking about rendering, having a home server, etc.

I should've proberly clearified better what I want to spend.

But I did write "Price/Performance/Reliability" <- As in, best for the money basicly... For me personally I think I've come to the conclusion that the almost double price for the 850pro is not worth MY money :)

It'll still be a little while for the upgrade. But basicly I want a setup where I have OS on my 256gb. Along with any other program that is not a game basicly, so programs like ccleaner, word and so on.

The 512gb will be for all of my games. Just throw everything on there.

And lastly my 1tb HDD for media.. Downloads, videos, and so on.

This will make it super easy for me too clean out windows a few times a year. While just keeping my steam library on the other SSD :)

Anyways, thanks for the input guys.

I see there's still stuff for me to learn about SSDs :P

- Cool right?

I should've proberly clearified better what I want to spend.

But I did write "Price/Performance/Reliability" <- As in, best for the money basicly... For me personally I think I've come to the conclusion that the almost double price for the 850pro is not worth MY money :)

It'll still be a little while for the upgrade. But basicly I want a setup where I have OS on my 256gb. Along with any other program that is not a game basicly, so programs like ccleaner, word and so on.

The 512gb will be for all of my games. Just throw everything on there.

And lastly my 1tb HDD for media.. Downloads, videos, and so on.

This will make it super easy for me too clean out windows a few times a year. While just keeping my steam library on the other SSD :)

Anyways, thanks for the input guys.

I see there's still stuff for me to learn about SSDs :P

All right then. Best buck for the bang is definitely the MX100 and 840 EVO I believe. SanDisk and Intel might have good prices as well but I can't talk about them tbh.

Keep in mind that an SSD is more than just linear reads. when gaming, you will largely be using low queue depth. You may see a cheap SSD and a high end one both giving close to the same linear reads, while the cheaper on may only do an extremely tiny fraction of the 4K random reads at low queue depths.

For SSD's like the MX100, you will have even lower write endurance than the 840 evo. furthermore, keep in mind that when using an SSD, you do more writes than you think. Many people believe that a low endurance SSD is fine because they do not downloading or directly saving data to it. What they don't consider is the writs that their applications do, during their normal operation.

Me working with photoshop, adobe premiere pro, aftereffects, maya, and other production applications, easily puts around 50TB of writes per year on my SSD (I would probably put 70+TB if I were to actually dump the media files onto the SSD before working on them).

While there are many SSD's, with a wide range of prices, currently, we are at a point where the higher end SSD's are still a better value when you consider the better effective performance, as well as the write endurance. With some low cost SSD's often you will spend half as much, but you may only get like 1/20th or less of the write endurance and probably 1/5th or less of the low queue depth performance.