Coil Whine Question on Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Wesley

So here is an odd thing i have an AM3+ board with an 8350 and an AM3 board with a X4 965.  With the AM3+ board and my 8350 installed i get alot of coil whine when gaming at desktop etc.  When i swap the AM3 board and X4 965 cpu into the system with all the same parts including the 970 gpu using same power supply case etc my Coil Whine is almost gone it is still very noticeable in loading screens for things but i've been told thats just normal.  Any ideas on why that is?  My previous GPU was a GTX 680 Lightning and when i put that back in the system 0 coil whine so i just find it odd that my  8350 CPU and AM3+ motherboard is making it worse.

Intel 4790k • Asus Z97-A • Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce • G.Skill 1866 4GBx2 • Corsair HX850W PSU • Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler • Intel 530 120GB SSD(OS) • 1TB HDD(Games) • Cooler Master HAF 912 • Logitech G15 Key • Razer Abyssus Mouse • Asus 24in 144hz VG248QE

coil whine is not something to worry about really

but it is annoying...

but it is annoying...

Put your cans on & turn the dial up to 100% :)

@Wesley are there any other components like the cpu cooler, fans on both the case or gpu cooler that might be causing it?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

coil whine is not something to worry about really

After a few hours of gaming my ears  worry about it.  When gaming alot of the time i do not use volume cause of the environment i'm in and i don't dig using headphones all the time so if i'm playing wow i could play wow for like 3 hours with no audio and 3 hours of continous buzzing annoyanous sucks.  But i'm looking for possible reasons as to why it happens more on my AM3+ setup.

Intel 4790k • Asus Z97-A • Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce • G.Skill 1866 4GBx2 • Corsair HX850W PSU • Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler • Intel 530 120GB SSD(OS) • 1TB HDD(Games) • Cooler Master HAF 912 • Logitech G15 Key • Razer Abyssus Mouse • Asus 24in 144hz VG248QE

Put your cans on & turn the dial up to 100% :)

@Wesley are there any other components like the cpu cooler, fans on both the case or gpu cooler that might be causing it?

no i've narrowed it down to the gpu itself

I had a problem with coil wine on my Intel core i7 3820. I was about to return it when I figured out is was just a setting in the bios. When the bios was set to manual instead of XMP, the coil wine occurred. My advice is to play around with your bios settings seeing if anything changes. I know you said the whine is coming from your gpu but give it a shot.

After a few hours of gaming my ears worry about it. When gaming alot of the time i do not use volume cause of the environment i'm in and i don't dig using headphones all the time so if i'm playing wow i could play wow for like 3 hours with no audio and 3 hours of continous buzzing annoyanous sucks. But i'm looking for possible reasons as to why it happens more on my AM3+ setup.

Because it Doesn't hold back the card as much. The more GPU usage/higher frames the more coil whine.

Have you tried maybe V-Sync does that help the issue at all?

Have you tried maybe V-Sync does that help the issue at all?

I Will give V-Sync a try lock myself at lower FPS see if that maybe does anything for me.

Try Adaptive V sync. Depending on your Monitor's hz, it will lock it to 60, 75, 120 or 144fps. 

mostly coil whine I had from my old MSi GTX 770 Lightning starts when I hit 300+ fps (on loading screens) But now most of my loading screens get max 30 fps so the coil whine is gone. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @4.5Ghz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 | Cooler : Cryorig R1 Ultimate | Ram: 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 2-Way SLi | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo / 4x2TB Caviar Black | PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 | Windows 7 64-bit  | Case: Enthoo Pro | オール・イズ・バニッティー (all is vanity)

If you work hard, you can make your own Luck.