my Seiki 39" 4k TV isn't displaying 4k on my cumputer properly

Go to solution Solved by alme55,

i found a solution after hours of searching, i tried using the 50" firmware and that didn't make a difference for me, but then i stumbled across a software called AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher  located here: http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher and it worked, kinda makes me mad i have to do all this just to get a tv over 1080p on my computer working properly, but for under $300 i don't know of another tv that can do 1440p.  Thank you guys for helping me out as well.

So I bought this TV yesterday and hooked it up to my computer and it works fine, the 4k works good, I used "custom resolution utility" to get 1440p @ 60hz, 1080p @ 120hz and 720p @ 240hz.

The problem i am having is whenever i turn the TV on it only starts up in 1080p @ 24hz and when i look in the "screen resolution" menu on windows 8.1 it show 1080p(recomended) and nothing higher , and a message pops up saying  "An HDMI-to-DVI display connection has been detected. In order to hear audio on your tv or display you will need a seperate audio connection to your pc".

I don't know why it says that because i am using the HDMI-HDMI cable included with the TV.  To get it to do any resolution over 1080p, even 4k its native resolution, i have to either restart my pc or shutdown my pc and turn the tv on first then my pc.

I have tried factory resetting the tv, updating the firmware of the tv, re-installing the amd driver, I also tried unplugging my other 2 monitors from my r9 290 and trying with just the tv, but it still happens. 

I bought the TV so i could mirror my 1440p monitor so i could play games from my couch without having to keep switching main displays. if i could just get it to always turn on in that resolution i would be a happy duck.

i5 4690k, Corsair H55 w/ Noctua NF-F12 fan, AsRock z97 Extreme4 Mobo, Kingston HyperX Blue 1x8gb ram, 2x Reference MSI R9 290 crossfire,  120gb Kingston ssd now v300, 2tb WD Green, 3tb Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill Capstone 750w Gold Psu, Define R4 Case, Crossover 27QW 27" 1440p monitor, LG 1080p E2742 monitor

HDMI doesnt support 4K, only HDMI 2.0, which only the Nvidia 9xx series has

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

HDMI doesnt supported 4K, only HDMI 2.0, which only the Nvidia 9xx series has

it does but only at I believe 30hz also want to make sure you know that you have to mirror at the same res

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

HDMI doesnt support 4K, only HDMI 2.0, which only the Nvidia 9xx series has

It does on 30Hz or the one with fucked up colour modes.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Ya i know u have to mirror at the same resolution and hdmi does display 4k just at 30hz as stated, my problem is the tv wont turn on in anything over 1080p while my pc is on, i would have to restart my pc to get it to go back to 4k or anything above 1080p @ 24hz.

Seiki 39" se39uy04 4k tv

Alright.  I had almost this exact situation, just with the 50" version.  Same exact issue and message, same exact graphics card (MSI R9 290).  Updating the firmware solved it for me.  Interestingly could never get it to go at 1080p 120Hz with the custom resolution utility though, seems like you have the opposite problem.

Glenwing, would u happen to still have the update for the 50" you could email to me? I checked the seiki website and the are missing that one.

i found a solution after hours of searching, i tried using the 50" firmware and that didn't make a difference for me, but then i stumbled across a software called AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher  located here: http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher and it worked, kinda makes me mad i have to do all this just to get a tv over 1080p on my computer working properly, but for under $300 i don't know of another tv that can do 1440p.  Thank you guys for helping me out as well.

Please Help!
could you try to use two hdmi´s because I´ve seen something about it working as two sceens if you use two hdmi´s and it could run @60hz, then use eyefinity to make them "one monitor" and voila you get 4k@60hz, the eyefinity is only necesery for gaming, If it works could you make a video about it or tell me.
 Thanks!

Please Help!

could you try to use two hdmi´s because I´ve seen something about it working as two sceens if you use two hdmi´s and it could run @60hz, then use eyefinity to make them "one monitor" and voila you get 4k@60hz, the eyefinity is only necesery for gaming, If it works could you make a video about it or tell me.

Thanks!

I was wondering because if that works I´ll definetly buy this for me for x-mas if the seiki pro 40" 60hz 4k monitor with display port hasn´t released (with a goo price) or any other 32"-42" 4k monitor/tv that runs 4k@60hz and is under 500€

I was wondering because if that works I´ll definetly buy this for me for x-mas if the seiki pro 40" 60hz 4k monitor with display port hasn´t released (with a goo price) or any other 32"-42" 4k monitor/tv that runs 4k@60hz and is under 500€

I don't have another HDMI 1.4 cable, but I will try with a normal one when I get home, because ya 4k@30hz it really unplayable, especially compared to the 1080p@120hz the TV does

I don't have another HDMI 1.4 cable, but I will try with a normal one when I get home, because ya 4k@30hz it really unplayable, especially compared to the 1080p@120hz the TV does

thanks, keep me updated

Please Help!

Thanks!o  

So i did some research and found out that the tv is not capable of doing this. I am assuming you got this idea from the Asus PQ321Q monitor that got released a while back.  The reason that monitor works with 2 hdmi cables is because it is actually 2 monitors put together in one shell, so it has 2 separate scalers.  your graphics driver would then use surround to put them together.  This TV only has one scaler inside so it would not work the same way, unfortunately because of hardware limitations the TV will not be able to do 4k@60hz, at least that is what i understand from my research. it is better explained here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pq321q-4k-gaming,3620.html

But these limitations don't bother me though i really just wanted a TV to mirror my main 1440p monitor @60hz and i am getting the functionality i wanted out of the TV.

Another thing for others to note as well that want to buy this to use as a 4k TV, it only has an 8bit panel, the newer 4k content and tv's are coming out in 12bit so you wouldn't be getting the best picture quality with this TV to view future 4k content.