Heavily modified Fractal Define R4 with dual 180mm and 360 radiators

d33g33

Fantastic job on the delidding! I'm happy to see that it didn't destroy it.

Personally, I'm a form follows function guy, but seeing as function does not demand

off-center mounting I'd probably try to get it centered if you can. But even off-center

it still looks pretty nice. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

this looks cool, man! :)

Current rig: i7-5820K, R5E, 1070ti (windows), Radeon HD7850 (Mac), a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, running MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 + a bunch of debian servers on Proxmox KVM hypervisor

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" 2017

Previous projects: Razmac G5, Server, zenbox HTPC

See my GitHub profile!

A coder/modder from Finland

Also decided I didn't like my exposed heatshrink sleeving so am going to try again with heatshrinkless sleeving. Going for the same colour scheme. This sleeving I used 10m+10m+10m and was right on the edge I have about 2ft of each colour left. so I ordered 30m+20m+20m this time for future proofing. Also instead of 2x 6pins I'll need 2x 6 pins and 2x 8 pins. *hint* *hint* :)

Dude Now I have never seen such a thing. This is 100% Pure awesome! Love the white lights with the white tubes... OMG I must copy this... 

Dude Now I have never seen such a thing. This is 100% Pure awesome! Love the white lights with the white tubes... OMG I must copy this... 

Wow thanks!

I think the fancy photo's might have done it more justice than it deserves. I cant wait until I get the new rads in, new GPU and the Primochill Ridgid acrylic tubing. I really think it will be something special.

I'm really looking forward to finishing this one and then maybe be super ambitious and go for a full custom case for Haswell-E

Wow thanks!

I think the fancy photo's might have done it more justice than it deserves. I cant wait until I get the new rads in, new GPU and the Primochill Ridgid acrylic tubing. I really think it will be something special.

I'm really looking forward to finishing this one and then maybe be super ambitious and go for a full custom case for Haswell-E

Make me one I like your design and color choices. White on black genius! 

Soo I picked up my new rads... its so huge its almost comical...

So here they are!

a 180mmx360mm and a 120mmx360mm

0EDpi6Lh.jpg

Here i'm trying to compare it to a 2x120mm sized radiator... Just... just... ridiculous...

1hicVtr.jpg

Placed them roughly where they will be mounted. had to lift them up with some magazines so ignore that... Some modding to ensue!

9Ayg7i2h.jpg

ZEpeQaRh.jpg

And the MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION

Can I fit the 360 in the roof without using a shroud? Maybe... its gonna be close!

giyuLHbh.jpg

I've never seen this much rad in a R4 before so should be very interesting...

just waiting on some fittings and then I can start mounting and piping up.

s**t just got real peeps :D

Oh dear R4... what have I done to you...

ERRdVU5h.jpg

e72UCnzh.jpg

aq6iYXUh.jpg

This process is quite hard. I have to get it just right to clear the ram, the back IO shield and still have enough space to fit the front rad...

Finished chopping the roof, and i've chopped the front as well so I can sink the front fans into the front a little bit kind of like how the original fans were, this just means I need to make up a cradle for the front.

Lucky I did decide to cut the roof because there is no way the fans would have mounted underneath the rad internally...

The front getting cut out...

z8J6eBI.jpg

Put in the motherboard with memory to make sure everything would clear, looks good...

meaTVmC.jpg

And clearances...

vGDLeAs.jpg

mqakqzC.jpg

OYIP9Hd.jpg

I still can't get over how big this 180 dual is... Its ridiculous to hold in my arms

lY0Afdb.jpg

Yjm5ARh.jpg

Getting there slowly!

Mate awesome build I just gotta say though I have a 180mm single nexxxos rad with the same Silverstone fan and I think using this fan in push pull is overkill. They work so effectively in push as they generate so much pressure. Just a thought

Mate awesome build I just gotta say though I have a 180mm single nexxxos rad with the same Silverstone fan and I think using this fan in push pull is overkill. They work so effectively in push as they generate so much pressure. Just a thought

Cheers for the advice, if its too noisy I can probably just remove the rear 2, or turn them off. Do you run them on 12v or the speed reduced (9v)?

I had a 240 with push/pull in the same location before, hence thought I might as well go the same with the dual 180.

Hey nice build I have the same case and I want to also water cool it with a lot of the same components you chose like the frozen q reservoir and the koolance water block. How did you mount the reservoir? And also, is there a way to fit a 120-140mm rad on the rear exhaust along with a slim 240 up top?

I also struggled with my rads in the r4. At first, I thought about two 240cl rads, one to the roof and the other to the front. The roof one just.. Uh.. I didn't fit.

So I thought about it for a moment and asked a friend of mine if one 360 would be sufficient. He thought it would be, so now I have just one 360 to the front.

If you need ideas for how to place the front rad/its fans, feel free to refer to my log :)

Looking grrrrreat, keep it up!

Current rig: i7-5820K, R5E, 1070ti (windows), Radeon HD7850 (Mac), a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, running MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 + a bunch of debian servers on Proxmox KVM hypervisor

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" 2017

Previous projects: Razmac G5, Server, zenbox HTPC

See my GitHub profile!

A coder/modder from Finland

Hey nice build I have the same case and I want to also water cool it with a lot of the same components you chose like the frozen q reservoir and the koolance water block. How did you mount the reservoir? And also, is there a way to fit a 120-140mm rad on the rear exhaust along with a slim 240 up top?

The res in the photos is just mounted directly to the pump with a single rotary male-male G1/4. Its not the most secure but if you're not move the case around much it doesn't matter. I wouldn't lay it down on its side though for example. I don't like your chances of getting a 120 or 14 single in the back if you have a 240 in the roof, it's probably not impossible, but I cant see it being easy.

In the rebuild it will be mounted directly the the false motherboard tray using the supplied mounts that came with the FrozenQ

I also struggled with my rads in the r4. At first, I thought about two 240cl rads, one to the roof and the other to the front. The roof one just.. Uh.. I didn't fit.

So I thought about it for a moment and asked a friend of mine if one 360 would be sufficient. He thought it would be, so now I have just one 360 to the front.

If you need ideas for how to place the front rad/its fans, feel free to refer to my log  :)

Looking grrrrreat, keep it up!

Thanks for the kind words.

Apparently the R4 was slightly revised to make the offset better for rads in the roof, no matter. I have used the Koolance rad shroud and mounted it as far across as I am able to to clear the Dominator Platinums and also the case pop out for the IO plate. I've done a lot of checking and the 120x360mm will fit snugly. It will actually just slide above the 180x360mm so it's all very tight but should be a great result.

Currently a couple of things holding up the build. I'm getting a new front panel folded to set the fans in about 10mm like the stock fans sit. I'm hoping someone in Aus will stock the Primochill Revolvers so I can order some of those, if not i'll have to order them in from the US. Also the final piece is a new videocard. I was waiting to see what aftermarket 780Ti cards would come out. the Stock ones are beast but the 106% TDP restriction stuck out really obviously for me. I've decided on a  EVGA GTX780Ti Classified. Depending on the layout and if I can get a waterblock on it, maybe even a rumoured Ti k|ngp|n...

New sleeve finally arrived. Took a month!

Resleeving 24 pin, EPS and PCI-E 8pins. Also able to sleeve all my fans and controllers now.

First order I ordered 30m and just scraped in, I had about 2ft spare. this is 70m worth :)

zYpLvIk.jpg

I tested out my 3D printed mandrel last night and amazingly... it doesn't melt at all.

It was my very first attempt and I cooked the absolute life out of the tube but the plastic will hold up no problems.

The initial radius is 17mm which I feel may be too tight. I'm going to change this to 22-25mm. @ 17mm I tested a full 180 degree bend but it ripples on the inside, this could however be due to my technique.

Ignore the blatant burning of the Primochill tube... like I said, first time... Also the tube cracked in my bag on the way to work this morning it WAS fine...

post-28719-0-76930900-1386194001.jpg

post-28719-0-22689100-1386194003.jpg

I did take a video as I did it because I assumed it would just turn into a molten mess... However I had a power outage last night so didn't get to upload.

Soo got a little done with the side window today.

progress has been slow because im still waiting for my front panel to arrive and the correct fittings to come into stock. Also EVGA to hurry up and release their Classified GTX780Ti :)

I managed to delicately fiberglass up some of the nicks that I had done when cutting the window which I didn't think would work at all but came our really well so I felt like I had a win there.

First coats around the cuts

983kM23h.jpg

Yay 6 coats later paint is looking even and as close to the original as im able to get it

aEKdRcHh.jpg

Recut the windows and I guess it fits in err something like this?

INF5DP1h.jpg

Yessssssss 3M sticky stuffs!

SOAwppjh.jpg

Not bad if i do say so myself!

RkL4zCzh.jpg

wBKGNYeh.jpg

Nothing outrageous but different enough to give it an edge. Really happy with how it came out.

Im actually in the middle of planning my window right now on a lian li pc-a71f, what i planned to do is something similiar to your honey comb thing, where i would have some sort of shape or design on opposite corners, but i was gonna put a grill where the honeycombs are on yours. But never the less, it looks amazing. im a bit scared of do thin designed too with the dremel, i see theres a bit of bending at the ends of those honeycombs =[ sucks.

On another note, im assuming you cut the main hole first, you think if you did just the honeycombs first then the big hole last it would be less warping?

Im actually in the middle of planning my window right now on a lian li pc-a71f, what i planned to do is something similiar to your honey comb thing, where i would have some sort of shape or design on opposite corners, but i was gonna put a grill where the honeycombs are on yours. But never the less, it looks amazing. im a bit scared of do thin designed too with the dremel, i see theres a bit of bending at the ends of those honeycombs =[ sucks.

On another note, im assuming you cut the main hole first, you think if you did just the honeycombs first then the big hole last it would be less warping?

The honeycombs were cut with a Dremel so has no effect on the flexing of the sheet metal cutting them before or after the main window. To be honest I cant remember in which order I cut them.

The curving was caused by the filing work that needed to be done afterwards, regardless, I'm happy with the result

The honeycombs were cut with a Dremel so has no effect on the flexing of the sheet metal cutting them before or after the main window. To be honest I cant remember in which order I cut them.

The curving was caused by the filing work that needed to be done afterwards, regardless, I'm happy with the result

Noted, ill be careful from filing, maybe ill try to make a makeshift clamp between two pieces of wood tightly and file it. This helps a crap ton when i do mine you have my gratitude my friend.

A little update from today.

I got the front panel its made out of galvanized tin, it's 2mm but heavy as hell!

Made up a template from an offcut of plexi here;

4QvtKQvh.jpg

Applied template to galvanized plate...

9TnxKdHh.jpg

Thickness and profile

EtyhxQNh.jpg

First cut

rkEpm6Z.jpg

And cut! also Tilly says hi...

yrXg1DFh.jpg

Goes together kinda like this...

iuTBrJkh.jpg