Pc does not detect pcie graphics card

Go to solution Solved by BuntzenB,

Alright thats great! Post = Solved.

Hi,

a friend of mine has a problem with his graphics card (geforce gts450). The card doesn't output any signal to the monitor and doesn't show up in the Windows device manager (He can check it while the monitor is connected directly to the mainbord - the onboard graphics work). The bios settings seem to be fine (pcie is selected as preferred output). He has already checked the connection to the power supply and re-installed the card on the mainboard.

What could be the problem?

P.S. sorry for my very "basic" English skills. I'm not a native speaker :)

Have you checked to see if the Pcie lane is turned on in the bios or see if it's set to use onboard or dedicated?

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

The Pcie lane should be turned on, because the pc worked in this configuration until now. But I will ask him about that.

I think I have to mention that he moved to a new flat just a few days ago. Is it possible, that something broke while the pc was carried?

Maybe the card is fried. Have you tried it on another rig?

I will try it out after I know more about the bios settings.

Try to access the BIOS and check if the PCIe slot is enable, otherwise, maybe the DVI(or whatever port you're using) port is broken.

The Pcie lane should be turned on, because the pc worked in this configuration until now. But I will ask him about that.

I think I have to mention that he moved to a new flat just a few days ago. Is it possible, that something broke while the pc was carried?

I will try it out after I know more about the bios settings.

I think that something breaking is very likely. And plus if all he did was move then I don't think the BIOS settings were changed... If you have an extra card lying around then maybe try to put that into his rig and see if that works (that would test his BIOS). And then if it works, try his card in a different rig to see if the card works.

I had a look into the bios. It seem to be ok.

I got one additional information: He put the vga calble accidatly into the vga port on the mainboard at first when he reinstallt his rig and monitor. Could that be a problem ?

Now i will install his card in my rig.

I had a look into the bios. It seem to be ok.

I got one additional information: He put the vga calble accidatly into the vga port on the mainboard at first when he reinstallt his rig and monitor. Could that be a problem ?

Now i will install his card in my rig.

I don't really see why that could be a problem especially if you made sure that all the setting are correct in the BIOS.....

And good luck!

ok... It runs in my rig. I have no Idea what I can do now. Uninstall all drivers on the other system?

I re-installed the card in his system. We decided to give it a last try. So we booted his rig and.... it worked. somehow.... I did nothing except installing the card in my system and drive with it through the town :)

The monitor started as normal when we turned on the system. But  the monitor went to sleep mode for a few seconds (maybe 15 -20) between the windows loading screen and the windows account selection. The same thing happened after a second reboot again.

So I think I don't have to put my gpu in his system. It would be very hard anyway, because my card is water-cooled :)

I re-installed the card in his system. We decided to give it a last try. So we booted his rig and.... it worked. somehow.... I did nothing except installing the card in my system and drive with it through the town :)

The monitor started as normal when we turned on the system. But  the monitor went to sleep mode for a few seconds (maybe 15 -20) between the windows loading screen and the windows account selection. The same thing happened after a second reboot again.

So I think I don't have to put my gpu in his system. It would be very hard anyway, because my card is water-cooled :)

My monitor (ASUS VS-228HP) goes to sleep when booting Windows 7 (not 8 as it boots much faster). If it still functions fine after falling asleep then I think you shouldn't worry.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||