New Outlook for Mac available - New Office suit for Maxc coming later.

GoodBytes

In a strange move, Microsoft has released a new version of Outlook for Mac. However, the full new version of Office for Mac isn't ready yet.

So basically, see it that the new Mac version of Office is still in the works, but Outlook is done, so that is available.

This new version of Outlook is only available to Office 365 subscribers.

01-Mail-All-Retina-1024x674.png

The new Outlook has a new look, which matches very closely the Windows version of Office.

As new features and improvement, the company says, that it has:

• Better performance and reliability as a result of a new threading model and database improvements.
  • A new modern user interface with improved scrolling and agility when switching between Ribbon tabs.
  • Online archive support for searching Exchange (online or on-premises) archived mail.
  • Master Category List support and enhancements delivering access to category lists (name and color) and sync between Mac, Windows and OWA clients.
  • Office 365 push email support for real-time email delivery.
  • Faster first-run and email download experience with improved Exchange Web Services syncing.

So if you have: Office 365 Commercial, Office 365 Home, Office 365 Personal or Office 365 University, you can get it by checking out your Office 365 account main page.

Microsoft says that a public beta version of the new Office for Mac will be availible in early 2015.

In the first half of 2015 we will release a public beta for the next version of Office for Mac, and in the second half of 2015 we will make the final release available. Office 365 commercial and consumer subscribers will get the next version at no additional cost, and we will release a perpetual license of Office for Mac in the same timeframe.

Source: http://blogs.office.com/2014/10/31/new-outlook-mac-available-office-365-customers/?WT.mc_id=CIC_TWITTER_Outgoing%20-%20News%20&%20Events_20141031_106768508_Office&linkId=10288991

Interesting that they decided to do it this way. Although, Outlook is pretty much the most fundamental application in the Office suite and its been a long while since the Mac Office apps have been updated so I can see why they would want to make this one available before the rest.

The nice thing about having a Office 365 Home subscription is that once this is released I could install it and use it without having to "pay" for it. I mean, I won't cause I don't own a Mac, but the fact that buying into the subscription entitles you to Office apps on any device the apps are available on is really convenient.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Yet another email application that I will use to never answer my emails. 

But it does look good. 

I hope there will be some major bug fixes in this because by damn outlook for mac needs them.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

Hope this dripples down to Linux seeing how Satya loves it and all and it's not that much of a stretch from OSX to Linux in terms of porting

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yet another email application that I will use to never answer my emails. 

But it does look good. 

For most home users Outlook desktop application is pretty much overkill. Most webmail sites like Gmail or Outlook.com website are more than enough if all you need is basic email functionality.

But for office/corporate environments its an absolute must.

For example, at my job I have 2 different email accounts (each for a different company) in Outlook that connect to a different Exchange database for each, one located within my employers corporate network and the other within another company's corporate network. Then we also have Microsoft Lync (think Skype for corporations) which integrates with your Outlook account/application where you can schedule Lync meetings on your Outlook calendar, etc. and Lync instant messaging conversations are archived in Exchange and accessible through Outlook.

Although I do still use Outlook at home because it has nifty features that I prefer like integration with OneNote and other Office apps.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Well finally we get the well deserved scaling graphics. I hate working with Office on my Mac, due to performance and blurry icons and text.