H440 Question.

tlmills82

I was reading some info on the NZXT H440 which I'm now considering using for my new PC build.  The info I was reading was said the person who built in it had to remove the top cover in order to achieve decent temps on his liquid cooled CPU.  Has anyone used this case and had this issue?  I'm planning on using the Intel 4690k and the Corsair H100i to cool it.

no problems here ;)

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I figure if I have the H100i pulling fresh air in from outside the case I shouldn't have any issues.

I figure if I have the H100i pulling fresh air in from outside the case I shouldn't have any issues.

i run them as exhaust and i still dont have any problems.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Do you have negative air pressure in your case?  

I live in a relatively dusty environment and ease of cleaning will be a huge bonus if I can run these in pull exhaust so I can just clean the rad from inside the case without removing everything.

I live in a relatively dusty environment and ease of cleaning will be a huge bonus if I can run these in pull exhaust so I can just clean the rad from inside the case without removing everything.

if you have a dusty environment you'll need positive pressure you have minimal dust

if you have a dusty environment you'll need positive pressure you have minimal dust

I think that's what I meant.  What I want is more incoming air that exhaust right?  So the "excess" air leaves via the unfiltered openings?

I think that's what I meant.  What I want is more incoming air that exhaust right?  So the "excess" air leaves via the unfiltered openings?

Correct! Pretty much the more intake you have over exhaust the less dust that will be in your system 

The goal of the H440 was silence, so there aren't too many large vents. This guys fans were probably getting choked. If you don't overclock, or only do a slight one you should be fine.

My name is Sebastian, I relate to Linus

The goal of the H440 was silence, so there aren't too many large vents. This guys fans were probably getting choked. If you don't overclock, or only do a slight one you should be fine.

Yeah, I was originally planning on using the Define R4 which I hear is also not very optimized for airflow.

I use a Kraken X61 and a 4670K OC'd to 4.4GHz undervolted to 1.23V. Here's my advice to you: do NOT get the H440. It's true that the top cover is awful for ventilation. When removed, I get up to 20C lower temps than when it's in place. But the top cover is a major part of the aesthetic of the case and actually contains the cover for the power button as well. Removing the cover exposes wires and LEDs and other gross things. Get an airflow optimised case, this thing isn't even silent.

Had no problem here with a 4770K @ 4.4GHz with a X61 with 2 fans at the top. It's silent and the temps are very nice.

Could you provide the link to where the person had a problem? I'm curious about what his/her setup was.

(But it's true that the top isn't the best for ventilation, but it's usually enough for most setup. Not a deal breaker though)

What CPU did the guy have and was he overclocking it?  It may have simply been a case of the watercooler itself not really being up to par for his CPU.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

Had no problem here with a 4770K @ 4.4GHz with a X61 with 2 fans at the top. It's silent and the temps are very nice.

Could you provide the link to where the person had a problem? I'm curious about what his/her setup was.

(But it's true that the top isn't the best for ventilation, but it's usually enough for most setup. Not a deal breaker though)

Here's the link to the guy's setup.  Granted he was using a custom loop water cooler but I was worried I'd get similar results using an all-in-one unit.

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/KZwV3C

Most of the conversation happens in the comments.

well i have them in pull exhaust so i could clean it from inside fairly easyly but as long as the front intakes run slightly faster than the exhausts evverything seems to be just fine

I've got an H440, went from a Corsair C70, didn't upgrade any components, except the fans on my H100i, running 3 intake (front), 3 Exhaust (Rad, and back of case), and my temps went up maybe 3-4 degrees, because of less airflow ventilation.

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

Correct! Pretty much the more intake you have over exhaust the less dust that will be in your system 

NO! even just one fan more on intake is enough. dust particles are so light that you need barely any airflow to keep them away, so more fans on intake is just stupid, since they wont be as effective at moving air then

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

NO! even just one fan more on intake is enough. dust particles are so light that you need barely any airflow to keep them away, so more fans on intake is just stupid, since they wont be as effective at moving air then

You seem to really really hate dust particles, make love, not war.

I was reading some info on the NZXT H440 which I'm now considering using for my new PC build.  The info I was reading was said the person who built in it had to remove the top cover in order to achieve decent temps on his liquid cooled CPU.  Has anyone used this case and had this issue?  I'm planning on using the Intel 4690k and the Corsair H100i to cool it.

As an owner of the H440 for a little over half a year, with an NZXT X60 cooler mounted on top as an exhaust, I can't say I've had any trouble at all. Looking at very nice temperatures with a 4.4GHz overclock and have had no overheating problems at all.

I did however remove the unused hdd bays considering they restrict the airflow quite a bit, though I have no idea if it helped or not. I guess the thought of them not obstructing the airflow makes me sleep better at night.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice