Cops can make you unlock your phone if you use your fingerprint to unlock.

Tygron

it's a good thing I dont subscribe the Apple products or their terribly insecure policies

I was trying to figure out what Apple had to do with this on any level apart from offering a fingerprint scanner in their phones, and I couldn't find it. 

Oh well, I guess its that time of day where people have to say silly things for the sake of saying silly things. Samsung also has fingerprint scanners, so why not hurl crap at them too? 

And this is why fingerprint scanners on phones aren't a selling point.

Meanwhile, I'm sat here with password protection and encrypted storage. GG.

Because the majority of us are involved in illicit activities, right?  :rolleyes:

its a biological password so it still extends

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

You can hate me on this one, but I'd rather not have a cop snooping around my phone or PC, because these days you can get sued for anything, even if it's not illegal they will find a way to make it sound illegal. So encrypt your personal folders and don't worry too much.
And what makes you guys think that the only people who encrypt their personal data are criminals or up to no good?

Not going to use fingerprint Id now lol

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Fingerprints are about as secure as placing a spare key under a doormat. I recall a Mythbuster episode about the false sense of security with fingerprint scanners. Also what another member said. If your phone is just contacts, music and random usual stuff, there is nothing to be worried about. 

Apple presented a new feature for the newer phones.

Someone else saw the opportunity to abuse it.

Everything can be abused.

Apple may have presented it as a new feature, but I had an ANCIENT Windows Mobile 6.5 device that had Fingerprint locking/unlocking on it. This was several years (I'd guess at least 4?) before Apple Touch ID came out.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It's pretty fucking simple people, don't use your phone for illegal shit, and if you are going to cheat on your partner, do it the old fashioned way with either a co worker or the mail man.

Wise words.

Or don't cheat.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Fingerprints are about as secure as placing a spare key under a doormat. I recall a Mythbuster episode about the false sense of security with fingerprint scanners. Also what another member said. If your phone is just contacts, music and random usual stuff, there is nothing to be worried about. 

Yes that Mythbusters episode was a real eye opener. Someone bypassed the Apple one just a few days after release using the same methods.

On top of that, you are literally leaving your password everywhere. Everything you touch will have your password printed on it, and you can NEVER change it. The idea of never being able to change your password is terrible by itself, but then the fact that you are leaving it everywhere just makes the whole idea awful.

Fingerprints should be usernames, not passwords.

Yes that Mythbusters episode was a real eye opener. Someone bypassed the Apple one just a few days after release using the same methods.

On top of that, you are literally leaving your password everywhere. Everything you touch will have your password printed on it, and you can NEVER change it. The idea of never being able to change your password is terrible by itself, but then the fact that you are leaving it everywhere just makes the whole idea awful.

Yeah people don't seem to understand that to gain your fingerprint, all it takes is about 5 minutes (or less) of following you around discretely, and household materials. You touch a railing, press an elevator button, throw out a can of coke, etc. Fingerprints are actually hugely not secure, unless combined with other biometrics.

That episode was mind blowing. They broke the biometrics security within minutes, if I recall correctly.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Apple may have presented it as a new feature, but I had an ANCIENT Windows Mobile 6.5 device that had Fingerprint locking/unlocking on it. This was several years (I'd guess at least 4?) before Apple Touch ID came out.

I'm sorry, it was my mistake.

I meant to say "Apple presented a new feature for their newer phones."

I'm sorry, it was my mistake.

I meant to say "Apple presented a new feature for their newer phones."

Oh of course. And lets be honest, they did market it as if they were the first people to ever consider fingerprint biometics (even if they didn't outright say it) ;)

Yeah people don't seem to understand that to gain your fingerprint, all it takes is about 5 minutes (or less) of following you around discretely, and household materials. You touch a railing, press an elevator button, throw out a can of coke, etc. Fingerprints are actually hugely not secure, unless combined with other biometrics.

That episode was mind blowing. They broke the biometrics security within minutes, if I recall correctly.

I am not so sure it's a good idea even when combined with other biometrics. The rumors about iris scanners in Samsung phones sounds promising (assuming it works properly) since you don't leave it everywhere. It still has the issue of being unchangeable.

All that is needed is some malicious app scanning your iris and they will be able to use that data to unlock your other stuff. The same can happen with any combination of biometric data.

I agree with all of the above.

If the Apple ID was purely for the sake of ease of use, then it can be somewhat understandable. However, by the perspective of security, it will be more trouble than it is worth. There was a thread some time back where someone was complaining about fingerprint collection by a local agency involved with GameStop (I think). Fingerprints are unique to each person, but they are far too easy to obtain to be worth anything in security or privacy. It does not need special-grade equipment, or even a visit to Walmart. You can use regular items from home to improvise a fingerprint lifting kit. While it can be argued that the Apple ID implementation is (marginally) better than other consumer fingerprint scanners up to now, it is still leaves a dangerous "loophole" wide open.

I have also seen this Mythbusters episode. While it was still an important thing to test, I was not remotely surprised, for the reasons stated above.

I am not so sure it's a good idea even when combined with other biometrics. The rumors about iris scanners in Samsung phones sounds promising (assuming it works properly) since you don't leave it everywhere. It still has the issue of being unchangeable.

All that is needed is some malicious app scanning your iris and they will be able to use that data to unlock your other stuff. The same can happen with any combination of biometric data.

IMO that presents a whole new problem. While the iris is unique, the scanner (which is basically a camera) has a finite sensor resolution and aperture. Unless you stick the sensor to your eye with the LED glaring at your cornea, it is going to have a very difficult time picking up the iris. If that is the case, then the resolution and lighting will limit the uniqueness of the iris data that it collects. That will open the risk of somebody else "accidentally" unlocking the system. 

And generally speaking, what is going to stop someone from using a high-res photo of you (taken with or without consent) to get through? That is another consideration to take into account, with the cameras getting as low profile as they are.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I'm pretty sure the amendments come before some silly state ruling, and this goes against multiple amendments. The people of the state could easily overrule this.

I'd still get a warrant if I was the cop.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Every thought of the fact that your fingerprints will be all over the screen, and on other items if you committed a crime? And the fact that they take your fingerprints in the booking process?

I was trying to figure out what Apple had to do with this on any level apart from offering a fingerprint scanner in their phones, and I couldn't find it. 

Oh well, I guess its that time of day where people have to say silly things for the sake of saying silly things. Samsung also has fingerprint scanners, so why not hurl crap at them too? 

its a good thing I dont subscribe to a technology that Apple popularized or many other companies' insecure policies

^_^ FTFY

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

I'm pretty sure the amendments come before some silly state ruling, and this goes against multiple amendments. The people of the state could easily overrule this.

which amendments?

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

What did you expect?

We need to stop with the whole fingerprint unlocking and fingerprint sensors on smartphones.

Fingerprint unlocks your phone way faster than a passcode, at least on the iPhone. It's actually faster to unlock my iPhone with my finger print than it is to not have a password at all and unlock the phone and have to swipe the lock screen away. 

Why the hell would we give this up just because cops can force us to unlock our phones. Don't do illegal shit. End of story. 

And that's why you encrypt your phone, use a never-heard-of-rom, use a long password & scream random amendments. 

You can hate me on this one, but I'd rather not have a cop snooping around my phone or PC, because these days you can get sued for anything, even if it's not illegal they will find a way to make it sound illegal. So encrypt your personal folders and don't worry too much.

And what makes you guys think that the only people who encrypt their personal data are criminals or up to no good?

I'm not hating on you. I'm calling you paranoid. A police officer is not going to randomly walk up to you and ask to go through your phone. Ever. You need to give them a reason to. Take your tinfoil hat off. 

Fingerprint unlocks your phone way faster than a passcode, at least on the iPhone. It's actually faster to unlock my iPhone with my finger print than it is to not have a password at all and unlock the phone and have to swipe the lock screen away. 

Why the hell would we give this up just because cops can force us to unlock our phones. Don't do illegal shit. End of story. 

Well thats kind of the point: Fingerprint unlocking is a CONVENIENCE ONLY. It's NOT secure. If someone stole your phone, they could literally lift the "passcode" off the screen or case within minutes, unless you happen to go around MJ style wearing gloves 24/7:

724644_1319828631866_426_312.jpg

It's not even about doing or not doing illegal shit. It's just literally, straight up, not secure. Your fingerprints are everywhere. In a single day, you will leave them behind in a thousand places. If your device is lost or stolen, and the person who finds it is halfway competent, (s)he can lift your prints off the screen using common household items.

Well thats kind of the point: Fingerprint unlocking is a CONVENIENCE ONLY. It's NOT secure. If someone stole your phone, they could literally lift the "passcode" off the screen or case within minutes, unless you happen to go around MJ style wearing gloves 24/7:

724644_1319828631866_426_312.jpg

It's not even about doing or not doing illegal shit. It's just literally, straight up, not secure. Your fingerprints are everywhere. In a single day, you will leave them behind in a thousand places. If your device is lost or stolen, and the person who finds it is halfway competent, (s)he can lift your prints off the screen using common household items.

It's not easy to fake the iPhone figer print scanner. Not sure about other phones but apples is quite secure. You can say all you want about it not being secure but unless you're the CEO of a big company or someone else important no one is going to expend the energy. You can't just lift the figer print from any old smudge.

I see you haven't read the 2nd part of that post. ENCRYPTING DOES NOT EQUAL ILLEGAL ACTIVITY

Sure, pattern unlock is also fast, but how much did you save? 0.5s at best. And I don't want any device to have my fingerprint at all, not even a fingerprint scanner for door unlocking that works offline. I use the standard swipe to unlock, I don't have much on my phone that is compromising me in any way other than a few photos in the gallery xD But on the other hand I do have some sensitive info related to the company and a few clients, which is encrypted and stored both on the PC and on the phone, that's that 5-10% of personal data that needs to stay personal! :D