Very first PC build :3

Choony

EDIT:

Budget: $2000-$3000 NZD

Aim: Gaming and a little Video editing

Monitors and Peripherals are already sorted

Hey guys, I want to get your opinions on my first build. I am planning on buying everything and completing the build at the end of this year

My main purpose for this build is for PC gaming, I want to be able to run my favorite game, Bioshock Infinite but also want forward compatibility running the top games for the next few years at 1080p, 60 fps .

CPU: 

INTEL DEVIL'S CANYON CORE I7 4790K 4.0GHZ 8MB LGA1150

Mobo

Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7

Cooling:

NOCTUA NH-D14 CPU COOLER W/NF-P14 + NF-P12

Ram

CORSAIR CMD16GX3M2A1866C9 DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3-1866 CL9

Storage

WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK WD2003FZEX 2TB 64MB CACHE SATA3

GPU

ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 GEFORCE GTX970 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0

Case

NZXT PHANTOM 530 FULL TOWER CASE - WHITE

Power

CORSAIR RM SERIES RM650 650W FULLY MODULAR PSU 80PLUS GOLD

(Remember this is NZ dollar)

Once again I am open to suggestions as this is my very first pc build. My computer knowledge isn't very good neither is my english.

I personally like water cooling, many others may disagree with me. I would go with a H100 or a H110 (if your case can fit it).

It's not worth the extra money for an i7 over an i5 just for gaming. 

Blacks aren't worth the extra money for anything but the warranty over the cheaper and slightly slower Barracudas. No ssd?

Are you planning to sli? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I personally like water cooling, many others may disagree with me. I would go with a H100 or a H110 (if your case can fit it).

all in ones are expensive in new zealand

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

I have that case, can fit a 360mm on top...

It's not worth the extra money for an i7 over an i5 just for gaming. 

Blacks aren't worth the extra money for anything but the warranty over the cheaper and slightly slower Barracudas. No ssd?

I agree with wooden, the i7 isnt worth the more price just for gaming, I have a WD caviar black too, and in idle is the noisiest thing here... Would really go with a Barracuda... And an ssd

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

Not everyone has the need for an SSD.  The OP clearly is focused on making a gaming rig and an SSD would be the last thing I'd be worrying about.  Now as for storage look at the newer Seagate drives that are 3 TB and 7200 RPM as they always seem to be the best buy in terms of value.  As for an i7 cpu I agree with the others to drop down to an i5 cpu instead.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

It's not worth the extra money for an i7 over an i5 just for gaming. Blacks aren't worth the extra money for anything but the warranty over the cheaper and slightly slower Barracudas. No ssd?

I have that case, can fit a 360mm on top...I agree with wooden, the i7 isnt worth the more price just for gaming, I have a WD caviar black too, and in idle is the noisiest thing here... Would really go with a Barracuda... And an ssd

I personally think that WD Black HDDs are far more reliable or just WD drives in general. I have an external WD HDD and its lasted quite awhile, yet my mum has a Seagate external HDD and its had several problems. Just something to think about. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I was planning to buy SSD's later but for now I am focusing on buying the best bang for the buck.

And the other note is the i7. What is the main difference between the two, and which one is better for gaming

(I LOVE THE LINUSTT COMMUN!!!! SO FAST AND RELIABLE)

I personally think that WD Black HDDs are far more reliable or just WD drives in general. I have an external WD HDD and its lasted quite awhile, yet my mum has a Seagate external HDD and its had several problems. Just something to think about. ;)

Everyone has one side of the story or another. Seagate and WD are pretty much equally reliable and I wouldn't be surprised if their drives came from the same factories. 

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I was planning to buy SSD's later but for now I am focusing on buying the best bang for the buck.

And the other note is the i7. What is the main difference between the two, and which one is better for gaming

(I LOVE THE LINUSTT COMMUN!!!! SO FAST AND RELIABLE)

Getting an i7 for gaming isn't exactly a good value. You can quite easily fit a ssd with such a healthy budget. 

The difference between the i5 and i7 for gaming is little to none for the most part. The i7 is better but the difference generally doesn't show if at all. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Is the i5 4690K a better option then the i7 4790?

(it's $150 cheaper at the store i'm buying at)

As others have suggested, an i5 and 8GB of memory is quite sufficient for a system that will be used mostly for gaming. In fps gaming an i7 contributes 1-2 fps or less in most games. The gpu is much more important.

Since the ssd will be used for booting, it makes much more sense to get it initially. Saves having to re-install everything later.

There are better quality psu that are less expensive than the RM-650.

I would also suggest a different motherboard to help keep down costs.

Dominator Platinum is listed as incompatible with the NH-D14. The modules are too tall to fit under the overhanging fan. Besides while they are of excellent quality and quite flashy, there are equally good kits available for less.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($319.00 @ PC Force)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($143.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($249.00 @ PC Force)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($134.05 @ Aquila Technology)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.00 @ PC Force)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($115.00 @ PC Force)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($693.13 @ Ascent Technology)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case  ($212.52 @ Aquila Technology)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($189.95 @ Computer Lounge)
Total: $2154.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-31 20:22 NZDT+1300

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

A lot of people seem to be pushing the i5 but he/she did say that they were going to do some video editing.  This is where an i7 would come in handy wouldn't it? I'm not saying get a balls to the wall i7 though.  Maybe a lower end i7 that's still unlocked (if overclocking is something you're going to do?) would be a better choice.  Like the 4820K, a slightly cheaper option that has hyper threading capabilities.  I fully admit that I could be wrong here so please do correct me because I'd like to learn!

As far as cooling goes I'd recommend water cooling just because then you don't have to worry about clearance for ram.  Also it can be just as efficient if not even more efficient depending on the route you take.  Also it's fun to see people (my parents for example) react when you tell them that your computer is liquid cooled!

Lastly I'm going to say yes to the SSD because of DEM BOOT TIMES.

I try as hard as I can to not be a fanboy

Is the i5 4690K a better option then the i7 4790?

(it's $150 cheaper at the store i'm buying at)

For gaming, yes.