Thinking of upgrading to windows 8.1

N3rot0xin

Been looking around, and i think it might be time for me to upgrade to windows 8.1 (from windows 7 ultimate). My initial reason was gaming, in particular BF4. Thats my main game of choice right now for PC, and lately I"m not happy with the performance. Upgrading to 8.1 would help with this, or so I'm told and thats what I"m here to inquire about. Not just in BF4 tho, but games in general. What are some of the advantages of running windows 8 over 7 for gaming? And is it worth it for every other aspect of day to day computer usage? I've been reluctant to upgrade because I hate change in my OS. I've been using windows 7 for a couple years now, and its now "mine" so to speak. Everything is how I like it, i know it and its comfortable for me to use. I also hate losing apps. There are some I only use once or twice, but I know when and where i'll need them and they're the kind of thing you forget about until you need them. Sure I could reset all of that after upgrading, but i dont *have* to if you know what I mean.. I guess i'm really asking is it really that worth the upgrade? I also dont want to deal with Metro, ever. So that also needs to be able to be eliminated. 

I run with dual screens (not set up in any kind of display group or multi monitor gaming, just two single screens and display fusion). Everything else about my rig is in my profile. 

I am whatever I am. 

8.1 performs a bit better for games and is a better OS overall if you fix the start menu and program associations. I really do appreciate the cleaner and sharper look along with the more robust task manager. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

psst

wait for windows 10 next year

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

Skip it and go windows 10 using it right now I had some issues but turns out they were from a corrupt boot.img that I installed

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

psst

wait for windows 10 next year

Skip it and go windows 10 using it right now I had some issues but turns out they were from a corrupt boot.img that I installed.

The main reason I am considering upgrading is for performance. If windows 8.1 is better and worth it, reagardless of when windows 10 is available, I'll go for it. I dont want to wait to get the performance Im looking for.  

I am whatever I am. 

I recently uninstalled W7 and installed W8.1, here's the summary of my own experience, as a gamer:

The minimum frame rates, and smoothness of games & apps in general are amazing, with few issues. I use Classic Shell to navigate similarly to Windows 7, and I never use the Metro UI anymore, in fact it's closer to W7 than I thought it would be because of it. At first, there were issues such as a BSOD due to audio drivers, apps wouldn't open, my settings would always be reset to default, and crazy high HDD usages. However, I've since then fixed all these issues (which have shown up in just the past week). I think of the OS like this: When it works, it works extraordinarily well... however getting it to work can be a pain in the ass. I think it's worth the performance increase if you understand what you're getting into, and are willing to spend the time and effort fixing those initial issues. However, if you're satisfied with Windows 7 performance, it's not essential to upgrade.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Psst.....wait for windows 10 next year.

Windows 10 FTW! :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I suggest waiting for Windows 10 anyway since it's just about a year away.

Personally, I'm using 8.1 without any problem (of course with a start menu mod). Win 7 virtually has no problem right now, so get 10 once it's released to maximise your usage lifespan before the next OS upgrade.