Is my cpu or gpu damaged?

Skreedles

My computer just randomly forze and whe I checked it with my hand i noticed it was really hot I'm wondering if you guys think it was damaged or not?

Probably not. It just seems like your cpu was throttling due to heat. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Probably not. It just seems like your cpu was throttling due to heat. 

Doesn't it take a while for the compnents to get damnaged?

Doesn't it take a while for the compnents to get damnaged?

Do you not know what throttling is?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

So you're saying it saved itself?

Basically, yes. Today's hardware is capable of throttling it's power consumption (and as such, energy discharge) in an effort to keep itself alive. It wouldn't take very long to fry hardware if it went unchecked.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Basically, yes. Today's hardware is capable of throttling it's power consumption (and as such, energy discharge) in an effort to keep itself alive. It wouldn't take very long to fry hardware if it went unchecked.

So do you think my hardware is alright or not?

Do I think it's very likely? Yes, it's very likely that it's just fine.

Will I tell you that it is, or is not? No.

If you begin to experience repetitive failures, or odd behavior, something has likely failed.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Do I think it's very likely? Yes, it's very likely that it's just fine.

Will I tell you that it is, or is not? No.

If you begin to experience repetitive failures, or odd behavior, something has likely failed.

What sort of behaviours?

Just general odd behavior, I couldn't possibly tell you everything you might encounter. Some things might be like... your computer acting sluggish, you experience bluescreens, random shutdowns, not running at your rated clock speed, or always running at full load, ETC, ETC.

It is highly unlikely that it is damaged. As other users have mentioned, there is a good chance that it was thermally throttling itself- the parts run slower (throttle themselves) to kick out less heat, and hence reduce the temperatures by running slower. This happens when they run too hot and risk getting damaged.

If you want to test whether a part was damaged, I first suggest getting adequate cooling to rule out any more heat.

Run a GPU stress tester such as 3DMar11 in loop for 12 hours. If there is any weird artifacting (lines, dots, etc.) after a few hours, chances are your GPU is damaged.

For the CPU, assuming you are running Intel, run their processor diagnostic tool.

On another note, heat won't kill your parts immediately, but they will wear them down faster and reduce their life cycle. To somewhat mitigate this on the GPU end, download MSI afterburner and set a custom fan curve such that when the card reaches a certain temperature, it's fan spin faster, hence, lesser heat.

I hope this helps! :)

Edit-

If you want to test each part, here's what I recommend-

RAM- Memtest 86+ for 24 hours

CPU- Prime95 for 24 hours

GPU- 3DMark for 12 hours

If any of the tests fail, it's the part you are testing for or a motherboard issue. To validate the motherboard, try the parts with a known working motherboard.

PC in Profile