Upgrades ? Really Worth it?

TrueWhiteWolf

So I decided to return my notebook pc because the graphics werent good enough to run what i wanted since i'm a pc gamer ** PC MASTER RACE FTW** 

anyways I was hoping that these upgrades would be worth it by using the money instead of for the notebook i revive my old pc so here are the specs 

Old PC parts that i will be re using in this build

- mother board is a gigabyte ga p35 ds3l with an intel celeron dual core processor at 2.4 Ghz and a 1g ram stick ddr2 

also a 500GB HDD , cd/dvd drive and that is all i am going to be re using now here are the items i will be buying with my 250$ budget

Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Plus CPU Cooler 

an EVGA GeForce GTX 750 1GB SuperClocked GFX Card

Rosewill Galaxy-01 ATX MidTower Case

5 more Gigabytes of DDR2 667 RAM for a total of 6 GB's

and a EVGA 430W 80+ Certified PSU 

the total price for the upgrades are 213$ as of right now so I'm wondering is it worth it ? or is there something else i should add any help would be greatly appreciated 

the total price for the upgrades are 213$ as of right now so I'm wondering is it worth it ? or is there something else i should add any help would be greatly appreciated 

Is a proper upgrade possible? This is just...well, meh..You'd be better off holding off until you can afford to do a proper upgrade to a new cpu + gpu + ram + mobo

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Wait. DDR2? Celeron? 

Upgrade it all, bad platform to start on.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I wouldn't bother too much with upgrading it, I'd look more towards replacing it.

I would suggest a 750 ti over a 750, and maybe up to just 3-4GB of ram total (so add 2-3GB).

Perhaps also a slightly higher wattage power supply.

I would highly suggest saving more so you can upgrade the mobo, cpu, and ram to something a bit more.... usable.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Wait. DDR2? Celeron? 

DDR2 is not a bad platform. He just probably needs a better CPU, like a Q6600. Then maybe the GPU can be next.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Wait. DDR2? Celeron? 

with 250$ only ? and i played just fine on bf4 with my old 9800gtx + gfx card so im pretty sure a gtx 750 sc and with more ram would be good. 

with 250$ only ? and i played just fine on bf4 with my old 9800gtx + gfx card so im pretty sure a gtx 750 sc and with more ram would be good. 

DDR2 is not a bad platform. He just probably needs a better CPU, like a Q6600. Then maybe the GPU can be next.

compared to ddr3/ddr4 and the z97/h97/z87/x79/x99 platforms it's basically outdated.

compared to ddr3/ddr4 and the z97/h97/z87/x79/x99 platforms it's basically outdated.

It's not outdated. It's still a fine platform to game on.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

you're forgetting i'm on a maximum budget of 250$ . 

you're forgetting i'm on a maximum budget of 250$ . 

Which Is why i recommend you wait it out until you've got more money. 

It's not outdated. It's still a fine platform to game on.

thank you for understanding i don't play too demanding games and the motherboard is able to overclock the cpu so thats why i got a little better of a cooler then the stock one to over clock it a little i'm going to be upgrading in a couple months and as of right now i need a pc for college work and a little gaming on the side the most demanding game i play would be battle field 4 

thats going to be hard since i don't work...well at least as of right now

thank you for understanding i don't play too demanding games and the motherboard is able to overclock the cpu so thats why i got a little better of a cooler then the stock one to over clock it a little i'm going to be upgrading in a couple months and as of right now i need a pc for college work and a little gaming on the side the most demanding game i play would be battle field 4 

Then maybe a Q6600 would be decent then. I got one right now and it's still pretty killer.

Anyone still using a Q6600 should be extremely embarrassed, old outdated instruction sets 7+ years old. Makes no sense investing into a dead platform when even today's dual cores would eat it for breakfast.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

perhaps go amd because they really focus on price/performance

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Anyone still using a Q6600 should be extremely embarrassed, old outdated instruction sets 7+ years old. Makes no sense investing into a dead platform when even today's dual cores would eat it for breakfast.

Nope. Not embarrassed. In fact, I'm more proud than if I had a 4770 or something like that. It's still killer.

perhaps go amd because they really focus on price/performance

would you recommend a set of motherboard + CPU + decent ram for a decent price ? 

Buy some used parts, go to reddit.com/r/hardwareswap or eBay and you could get a new cpu mobo combo for 100 , psu for around 30-40 so 140 ram for 40 180 and a 750 ti for 70 so 250 in your budget range which would kill your current upgrade.

I touched the face of death, 4770K at 5.2 with 1.6

Nope. Not embarrassed. In fact, I'm more proud than if I had a 4770 or something like that. It's still killer.

to be able to still game pretty nicely on that cpu i'd be pretty proud myself i would love  an i3 at least but don't and will not have the money going to graduate college in a little under a year and will right away save for a beast of a PC already got a name for it , Blue Eyed White Dragon (; 

understand that no matter how much overclock you put into a core 2 quad, its somehow going to bottleneck the newer generation stuff. i dont exactly know why cuz a core 2 quad in cpu horsepower is about a sandy/ivy i3 and these cpus dont bottleneck these gpus. its a strange thing when you dealing with ancient system and new gpus but ultimately the platform itself will not operate to the maximum capability regardless. the tech is too old and you're going to need an upgrade to match the generation of hardware

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

would you recommend a set of motherboard + CPU + decent ram for a decent price ? 

I was talking about GPU like the 260x

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

not worth it. If you want to play games smoothly, try to save up for:

- latest intel core i5 CPU + compatible mobo

- at least 4GB memory (I would recommend 8GB)

- SSD boot drive

- nvidia gtx 760 or AMD's equivalent (better graphics card = better game play experience)

that's at least $500

not worth it. If you want to play games smoothly, try to save up for:

- latest intel core i5 CPU + compatible mobo

- at least 4GB memory (I would recommend 8GB)

- SSD boot drive

- nvidia gtx 760 or AMD's equivalent (better graphics card = better game play experience)

that's at least $500

well honestly i'm really liking this mother board its been very reliable for all these years and not once given my a single issue my gpu gave out so i gave out on the psu the ram and sold it and made a good profit anyways in order to upgrade to a better system thats at least another year honestly and as of right now i don't want to spend an excessive amount of money on the parts for a brand new pc i'll just get the new things and lower the amount of ram i'm getting so i spend less then 150 and save the rest for a mobo upgrade and a cpu and ram the gpu i'm okay with as of right now or i can spend a little on an ssd boot drive like you recommended. 

When i do have the money this is roughly around the type of build i want 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XP6v23
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XP6v23/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($12.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($53.00 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($68.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7770 2GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($128.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7770 2GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($128.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Xigmatek Recon ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $672.90