Impossible to overclock with voltage under 1.35

Hi, I am trying to overclock my i5 4670K to 4.4GHz and I am having to crank the voltage all the way up to 1.35 just to avoid BSOD. My temps are around 70-80C in games which is way too high for me. Is there something I am missing or is it just that my CPU is bad. Thanks!

Hi, I am trying to overclock my i5 4670K to 4.4GHz and I am having to crank the voltage all the way up to 1.35 just to avoid BSOD. My temps are around 70-80C in games which is way too high for me. Is there something I am missing or is it just that my CPU is bad. Thanks!

You just didn't do well in the silicon lottery, which is why voltage (and therefore temps) are to be higher to remain stable. 

edit: fuck

"Rawr XD"

doesn't look like you did good in the silicon lottery. go slowly with your overclocks, too. time ensures stability.

Yeah as @Lanoi said, make sure that when you benchmark or do any sort of stress test, you give it some time.

Also, I think you should stick to the OC that your motherboard gives you if its a higher clock speed (for whatever reason) 

Otherwise, i'd rather not overclock at this voltage and temperatures, its just not worth it in my opinion 

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Yeah as @Lanoi said, make sure that when you benchmark or do any sort of stress test, you give it some time.

Also, I think you should stick to the OC that your motherboard gives you if its a higher clock speed (for whatever reason) 

Otherwise, i'd rather not overclock at this voltage and temperatures, its just not worth it in my opinion 

I think I might have a stable 4.2 at 1.31 voltage with pretty good temps. I am just trying to keep under 70-73C.

EDIT: Scratch that. Just crashed.

What cooler do you have for reference with the temps.

what are all the settings that you changed and how did you overclock it?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

What cooler do you have for reference with the temps.

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

what are all the settings that you changed and how did you overclock it?

I followed this template with the highest on everything. This is from an overclocking guide for my motherboard on Overclock.net

CPU VRIN Override LLC: Set to Extreme (this is to make sure VIN doesn’t droop)

CPU VRIN Override Voltage: 1.7-1.8v

VCore: 1.25-1.32v

Ring Voltage: 1.2-1.26v

CPU Multiplier: 44x-45x

BCLK: Auto

Turbo: Auto

C1E, C3, C6/C7, and EIST: All Disabled (There is a table in Step #1 which describes the behavior or different power saving features and what to enable/disable to get the behavior you want.)

I followed this template with the highest on everything. This is from an overclocking guide for my motherboard on Overclock.net

C1E, C3, C6/C7, and EIST: All Disabled (There is a table in Step #1 which describes the behavior or different power saving features and what to enable/disable to get the behavior you want.)

You'd probably be better off just leaving most things at default and adjusting only the voltage and multiplier at first. You can dial in the details later after you get as far as you can with only adjusting those 2 settings. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You'd probably be better off just leaving most things at default and adjusting only the voltage and multiplier at first. You can dial in the details later after you get as far as you can with only adjusting those 2 settings.

I have tried that but I get the best results from following this template. What settings would affect heat other than Vcore?

What motherboard are you using?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I have tried that but I get the best results from following this template. What settings would affect heat other than Vcore?

Nothing else matters as much as the vcore when it comes to temps. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Nothing else matters as much as the vcore when it comes to temps.

Well, looks like I will just have to leave it at stock settings. Thanks anyway!

Have you tried putting the settings back to default and just adjusting the vcore with the multiplier?

You've been trying to overclock your processor since you got it 6 months or more ago.  You might have to accept the fact that it just doesn't overclock well.  It happens.  As long as your performance is fine, don't worry about it.  You dont need an i7, you dont need to overclock your current one.  All you are doing is gaming, and a stock i5 is plenty for gaming.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."