Dark rock pro 3, vs custom loop (specs in descrip.)

Hello! I can not make up my mind. I absolutely love the look of the drp3 cooler, but I also want to make a custom water loop (i am posting this in both sections, air and water as they contain people who know lots about each) As far as I know, both of these solutions would have appx. the same noise level, but how well will they cool an non oc'd 4790k? (eventually overclocking, 2 years till i do probably) For my water-cooling loop, it would be : Apogee XL, Swiftech quiet series 3 120mm rad, and Linuse's favorite pump. I will have the price of either covered  (price is not a problem) What about portability? Will making a custom loop render my pc usless for trips to LAN parties horizontally laying in the back of a car? Thanks for your responses! 

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Hello! I can not make up my mind. I absolutely love the look of the drp3 cooler, but I also want to make a custom water loop (i am posting this in both sections, air and water as they contain people who know lots about each) As far as I know, both of these solutions would have appx. the same noise level, but how well will they cool an non oc'd 4790k? (eventually overclocking, 2 years till i do probably) For my water-cooling loop, it would be : Apogee XL, Swiftech quiet series 3 120mm rad, and Linuse's favorite pump. I will have the price of either covered  (price is not a problem) What about portability? Will making a custom loop render my pc usless for trips to LAN parties horizontally laying in the back of a car? Thanks for your responses! 

hte liquid will cool and look bettter

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

If you're going to be moving it around a lot then I'd be hesitant to use rigid tubing. And a full custom loop would add some heft to the case--thereby making it meh for LANs. With that said, a custom loop would cool the cpu MUCH better (although it would also cost significantly more). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Water weighs something, so I wouldn't go for a loop if you are going to LAN parties often.

As for which oone will perform better, a custom loop will. However, BeQuiet make some stunning coolers and you're probably best going with one of them.

Compatible with Windows 95

I cannot speak to the transporting aspect of water cooling for I have never been there but I personaly use  DRP3 in my OC i7 4770k and I can say that my temp most of the time are fine under 60 but under high load I will hang around 70-85 but that still is fine. So I would say with that chip non OC the air would be fine. I am also going to be making a water loop in the next few months and love then look when done right. So if you are ok with higher temps and solid portability I would go with the DRP3  

I cannot speak to the transporting aspect of water cooling for I have never been there but I personaly use  DRP3 in my OC i7 4770k and I can say that my temp most of the time are fine under 60 but under high load I will hang around 70-85 but that still is fine. So I would say with that chip non OC the air would be fine. I am also going to be making a water loop in the next few months and love then look when done right. So if you are ok with higher temps and solid portability I would go with the DRP3  

thanks, this answers my question! now to see what the water cooling forum thinks...

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Don't double post mate, the right people will always see your thread. 

You might as well get the DRP3. It will handle a good 4.6-4.8 (depends on CPU lottery) OC on the 4790K just fine. 

A custom loop would be much more hassle and research required than getting a good, very capable air cooler.

In terms of portability, there a small risk of your reservoir shattering and destroying everything. No biggie. :)

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Don't double post mate, the right people will always see your thread. 

You might as well get the DRP3. It will handle a good 4.6-4.8 (depends on CPU lottery) OC on the 4790K just fine. 

A custom loop would be much more hassle and research required than getting a good, very capable air cooler.

In terms of portability, there a small risk of your reservoir shattering and destroying everything. No biggie. :)

okay, no double posting, thank you for your resopnse, but every other day i seem to change my mind about what i want, but you have swayed me in the direction of.... air. thanks!