First Core M Laptop Sucks, but Critics Eat Humble Pie Tonight

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/192893-the-first-core-m-laptop-paints-a-depressing-mediocre-picture-for-intels-broadwell

Long story short, Lenovo rushed to market a crappy 2-in-1, critics the world over fired shots at Intel, and then Intel and independents showed off.

http://www.se-eng.com/2014/10/30/intel-broadwell-critics-swallowing-their-tongues-as-chip-review-shows-14-nanometer-die-shrink-met-its-specs/

Newsflash: Intel doesn't lie to consumers about chip performance and specs. Lenovo just tried to force a 4.5 Watt chip into a 3Watt package.

Snarky, lazy, but I'm in a bad mood.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

wait wait wait...

4.5wat?!?!

HOLY mother of gahd!!

omg

wat?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

wait wait wait...

4.5wat?!?!

HOLY mother of gahd!!

omg

wat?

This is not news. the specs on core M have been out for a while. It's like 4.5-4.6 Watts, so they rounded to 5 to be safe in marketing.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This is not news. the specs on core M have been out for a while. It's like 4.5-4.6 Watts, so they rounded to 5 to be safe in marketing.

I had no idea.

I try to ignore new releases like this just so I dont become jelous

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

that could make one hell of a phone chip, asuumming it turbos to that and doesnt sit there at all times

#1 Why would anyone care about how "badly" an entry level mobility product performs. It's an entry level devices nough said.
#2 Intel lies, just like every other mega-corporation Intel just packages it better.

that could make one hell of a phone chip, asuumming it turbos to that and doesnt sit there at all times

phones chips are kept under 2 watts, even lower if possible, if this was inside a phone with a 2000mah battery wouldn't last half a day with this, this chip was made for tablets and low to mid end laptops

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

phones chips are kept under 2 watts, if this was inside a phone a 2000mah battery wouldn't last half a day with this, this chip was made for tablets and low to mid end laptops

i mean something along the lines of a chip that sits below 2 watts almost all the time but can spike a few extra watts to avoid performance drops and things when necessary. i should have been more clear

i mean something along the lines of a chip that sits below 2 watts almost all the time but can spike a few extra watts to avoid performance drops and things when necessary. i should have been more clear

still the battery would die fast, 2 watts is what a chip could eat if its playing a game without throttling, normal usage gets around 1  

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

phones chips are kept under 2 watts, even lower if possible, if this was inside a phone with a 2000mah battery wouldn't last half a day with this, this chip was made for tablets and low to mid end laptops

^This. Let's see what the broadwell-based Atom chips look like if we want to see 1.5W chips in phones.

still the battery would die fast, 2 watts is what a chip could eat if its playing a game without throttling, normal usage gets around 1

okay then second idea, a phone that can be placed in a dock and opens up on a monitor. and allows for more power to be used

okay then second idea, a phone that can be placed in a dock and opens up on a monitor. and allows for more power to be used

dude, no one is going to put core m on a phone, it eats to much bloody power, for whatever use you put it, what you said here sounds good except for that part that its still a phone, meaning its mobile and has a small battery, at most a variation of this design for low power could get into phones, like the atoms @partickjp93 mentioned

dude, no one is going to put core m on a phone, it eats to much bloody power, for whatever use you put it, what you said here sounds good except for that part that its still a phone, meaning its mobile and has a small battery, at most a variation of this design for low power could get into phones, like the atoms @partickjp93 mentioned

i never expect it to be a realistic product, maybe just a fringe device. but now you have said that im going to go make a core m based phone, and since i said phone and not mobile i can make it a landline :P ha ha victory.

but hey we an all dream for laptop power in a phone

Now that would be cool that is the sickest idea be sweet if they did that with a ubuntu phone or windows phone once they give us a full desktop os on the phone.

I haven't read much of that review yet, but it seems to bash intel for someone else's bad product. Shameful.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I haven't read much of that review yet, but it seems to bash intel for someone else's bad product. Shameful.

More or less. The author is an AMD zealot too if you look at his history of articles.

Still want to dump my Intel stock if AMD picks up its game, but ethics of journalism should always be upheld.

#1 Why would anyone care about how "badly" an entry level mobility product performs. It's an entry level devices nough said.

#2 Intel lies, just like every other mega-corporation Intel just packages it better.

1. Entry level products are what constitute a lot of sales, so yes, people care about how entry level platforms perform because those are the ones that can be cheaply packaged and sold. Just cause its cheap, doesn't mean it has to be cheap. 

2. Except Intel didn't lie? They were 100% correct? And Lenovo were the ones who messed up? 

RTFA next time. 

So.. when will this be on phones?

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

So.. when will this be on phones?

Maybe with the broadwell-based Atom processors, but I don't think the Haswell Atoms have launched yet either.

Lol i've used an old atom laptop before, it was slow as heck and took legit 10 minutes to launch anything. But that was a school laptop. I'm sure this one is way better.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Lenovo just tried to force a 4.5 Watt chip into a 3Watt package.

wait wait wait...

4.5wat?!?!

HOLY mother of gahd!!

omg

wat?

4.5 Watt.

cxvqcsy7.jpg

I just couldn't resist, sorry

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

cxvqcsy7.jpg

I just couldn't resist, sorry

I was waiting for this

Maybe with the broadwell-based Atom processors, but I don't think the Haswell Atoms have launched yet either.

To my knowlegde, Intel wont release a broadwell based atom and haven't released a haswell atom.

55817523.jpg

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ