1440p now or 2160p later?

APrettyCoolWalrus
Go to solution Solved by Geekazoid,

Just something to keep in mind, people might tell you to go for a 4K display mostly because they just love them and also love the idea of such a high resolution, however, this may not be in your best interest, so I'd just make sure you go with what YOU really want and not them. But, of course, if you REALLY wanted to go 4K then just do it. Bare in mind that you'd have to spend into the thousands to get an IPS 4K screen. Whereas a 1440p IPS display can be had for as little as $400 - $500. ;)

@APrettyCoolWalrus

I don't know whether to jump to 1440p now or wait for a 4K monitor that doesn't kill my bank, is IPS, and has a 60Hz refresh rate. 1440p is such a difficult resolution to deal with and I feel that it will be obsolete soon, while 4K is expensive and I have no hardware to run 4k.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

i'd go for 1440p now.

It will be quite a while for 4K to come to 1080p requirements in terms of performance and refresh rate

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

1440p will run a lot better on a single 780, I would just get a decent 1440p IPS monitor. If you had something with more VRAM and 2/3 cards then go 4k. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

1440p will run a lot better on a single 780, I would just get a decent 1440p IPS monitor. If you had something with more VRAM and 2/3 cards then go 4k. 

To be honest I would get a 980 soon.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I don't know whether to jump to 1440p now or wait for a 4K monitor that doesn't kill my bank, is IPS, and has a 60Hz refresh rate. 1440p is such a difficult resolution to deal with and I feel that it will be obsolete soon, while 4K is expensive and I have no hardware to run 4k.

Well this decision is entirely up to you mate. May I ask why you think that 2560x1440 is a difficult resolution to deal with?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Well this decision is entirely up to you mate. May I ask why you think that 2560x1440 is a difficult resolution to deal with?

I believe it is because of scaling issues with windows

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

1.) A single 980 isn't guaranteed to get 60 fps Ultra in BF4

2.) If I am playing a game that is very intensive and I want to go down in resolution I would have to go for 720p (since I don't want to deal with a blurry screen for 1080p).

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1.) A single 980 isn't guaranteed to get 60 fps Ultra in BF4

2.) If I am playing a game that is very intensive and I want to go down in resolution I would have to go for 720p (since I don't want to deal with a blurry screen for 1080p).

or turn aa down

or turn aa down

Very true

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I believe it is because of scaling issues with windows

I think that's more 4K that has those issues.

I think that's more 4K that has those issues.

yeah!

Just something to keep in mind, people might tell you to go for a 4K display mostly because they just love them and also love the idea of such a high resolution, however, this may not be in your best interest, so I'd just make sure you go with what YOU really want and not them. But, of course, if you REALLY wanted to go 4K then just do it. Bare in mind that you'd have to spend into the thousands to get an IPS 4K screen. Whereas a 1440p IPS display can be had for as little as $400 - $500. ;)

@APrettyCoolWalrus

I really like 1440p as a resolution. It has a really nice PPI at 27 inches and because the PPI isn't insanely bigger than 24" 1080, it doesn't scale badly. I didn't like 4k at all, I couldn't use windows anywhere near as well and while games looked amazing, I just use DSR at 1440p and get the same benefit there. There's also no single GPU on the planet that will play next years games at 4k, maxed out while maintaining what I consider to be acceptable frame rates.

That's why I love 1440p, it's as good as it gets for me right now. The only way I'd use a 4k screen right now is if I hooked it up to my Macbook pro since they have awesome scaling built into the apple OS. 4k is something to look forward to in the future though, MS will add scaling eventually or there will be amazing 3rd party solutions (like start is back did for windows 8 ect). It still only makes sense to use it for a computer though, especially in the UK. It's hard enough getting TV at 1080 here, there's not many channels doing it on both satellite and cable so the chances of 4k contenting coming soon are slim to none.

of course though, if you want 4k, don't let me talk you out of it. We all love what we love.

Asus Maximus VII GeneIntel i7 4790k @ 4.8 - Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB DDR3 @ 2000Mhz - Asus Strix GTX980 SLI @ 1400Mhz/8000Mhz - 2x Samsing EVO 840 500GB RAID0 - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master v1000 - Focusrite Scarlett 18i6

Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear - Genelec 8040a Pair - Audio Technica AT4040 - Asus PG278Q ROG Swift - Asus PB278Q - 2x Bad Asus IPS 1080 Screens - Ducky Shine 3 w/Browns - Corsair m65 - Razer Orbweaver Clicky - Razer Sabertooth

Apple rMBP Late 2013 - Applie retina iPad 2 - Apple iPhone 5 - Apple iPod Classic - XBone - Wii U - Pikachu 3DS XL - Katsukity 3DS XL