What is a situation in which I would need to flash my BIOS?

If it doesn't crash on startup that's a good sign. I use Prime95 to stress test, and make sure it's 100% stable.

Sounds good. So just to reiterate, I probably won't have to flash by BIOS unless some kind of bug fix or compatibility issue arises?

Sounds good. So just to reiterate, I probably won't have to flash by BIOS unless some kind of bug fix or compatibility issue arises?

If it scares you then don't. I do it because I have a backup just in case. You probably won't have to though.
Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

OPINION :-

Flashing is not something I would do routinely some ASUS boards have a BIOS flash facility where they do not have to have anything at all attached to the motherboard no processor no memory nothing.

JJ shows how to use this BIOS flashing in :-

He shows, I beleive, how complicated it can be and talks of just how dangerous it can be.

Once again .  IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO FLASH THE BIOS THEN DON'T.

I believe (IDK) that ASUSs AI suite makes changes to the BIOS from the O/S how it would do this I have no idea.  The OC this provides is 95% of what an expert can achieve.  Yes the BIOS OC performed by an expert can get slightly more out of the system but, to me, for sheer ease of use/no knowledge required the AI suite is worth the 5%.

Linus has said he likes the AI suite, it performs to 95%, and anyone can use it.

O/Cing is very much a personal thing, are you just wantimg a bit more out of your equipment or do you want every bit you can squeeze out of it?

Flashing, unless there was a good reason, I wouldn't go near.

/OPINION

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

The reason I flashed my BIOS to F7 and haven't yet flashed to F9 was that it didn't allow any fan controls with software. And BIOS was really buggy. Since than everything is working fine and I don't really have to OC, which would need another flash to gain more stability.

As for flashing and why people warn about it. Its actually pretty simple to do if you follow instructions and be patient. But if something goes wrong, you are in for RMA process. I can say that even if many say software based flashing is more dangerous, it really isn't. There's one extra step and maybe an extra part of danger (software crashing) but nothing more special. And I've now done it with 2 mobos successfully.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv