Game developer receiving death threats

Xsilent(X)

1.jpg

Games publishers and industry figures must "stand-up and condemn" the movement referred to as "GamerGate", developer Zoe Quinn has told the BBC.

Ms Quinn has been at the centre of a furore which some argue is about ethics in journalism, but others consider to be a largely misogynist hate campaign.

The 27-year-old was forced to leave her home after receiving death threats.

She said publishers must "say GamerGate, and what it's been doing, is wrong".

"The fact that so much of the responsibility is offloaded to the people most harmed by it, when somebody in a much safer position than I am can stand up and condemn it... it's frustrating."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29821050

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Posted Image

Games publishers and industry figures must "stand-up and condemn" the movement referred to as "GamerGate", developer Zoe Quinn has told the BBC.

Ms Quinn has been at the centre of a furore which some argue is about ethics in journalism, but others consider to be a largely misogynist hate campaign.

The 27-year-old was forced to leave her home after receiving death threats.

She said publishers must "say GamerGate, and what it's been doing, is wrong".

"The fact that so much of the responsibility is offloaded to the people most harmed by it, when somebody in a much safer position than I am can stand up and condemn it... it's frustrating."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29821050

That popped up on reddit a while ago. Reading it made me feel sick actually; just how one sided the coverage actually is, even from something as reputable as the BBC.(Yes I get that it's an interview but there should be more articles written to highlight the other side of the story. I feel like the real issue is that the anti gamergate movement has a face; Zoe and Anita, while gamergate itself doesn't).

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

DmQ9cAA.gif Isn't this insanely fucking old news?

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

DmQ9cAA.gif Isn't this insanely fucking old news?

i don't know article says 29 October 2014 Last updated at 23:59 GMT  so new content has been added

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

So basically, she's just saying "Merely condemning death threats in general is not enough, developers and everybody else should be condemning GamerGate as a whole just cuz."

*sigh*. As always, I think TotalBiscuit's advice about handling death threats is probably the best. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sd042v Tell the authorities, be around loved ones, and keep a level head. Of course, she's managed to leverage the last few months into $3600 a month via Patreon, so she's probably eager to get as much attention and pity contributions as possible.  :rolleyes:

That popped up on reddit a while ago. Reading it made me feel sick actually; just how one sided the coverage actually is, even from something as reputable as the BBC.(Yes I get that it's an interview but there should be more articles written to highlight the other side of the story. I feel like the real issue is that the anti gamergate movement has a face; Zoe and Anita, while gamergate itself doesn't).

Yeah, probably not as balanced as it could've been. I suppose I should be grateful that a mainstream media source at least bothered to include a brief quote from a prominent(yet anonymous) GamerGate supporter, because it's more than most places seem to be doing...

People just need to stop talking about gamergate. When that happens, that is when it will die

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Well, in this case they seem to stand for Bullshit Broadcasting Corporation.

I think I might purposely add a slut to some game in the future called "Snita Aarkeesian" just to fuck with her (both literally and metaphorically...)

well... im kinda after regarding gamergate... and dont even know what it is... o_O

I completely forgot about gamergate

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Is it bad/sad that I just assume this is Zoe trying to become relevant again?

I am pretty sure everyone else had moved on. It seems to be the most logical explanation since barely anyone cares about her anymore.

People receive death threats?

What's new?

I think I might purposely add a slut to some game in the future called "Snita Aarkeesian" just to fuck with her (both literally and metaphorically...)

Go with Skyrim.

You alreay have a full toolset in modded Skyrim to "fuck" with her(both literally and metaphorically...).

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

That's how this is going away.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

People just need to stop talking about gamergate. When that happens, that is when it will die

You may want to look into the situation a bit more if you think gamergate is to blame for all of this.

No thank you, I actually care about improving the games industry.

i don't know article says 29 October 2014 Last updated at 23:59 GMT so new content has been added

U missing the point he was making.

This is what u missed: Is this first time game dev got threathened ?! Is this 1st time anybody in gaming industry or tech industry got death threats ?

No, this happens everyday to Boogie for example. So a normal thing.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I don't even know what each side cares about anymore, the messages are so broken and quite frankly stupid. 

This is boring.

Give me a new scandal that the intarwebs can rally behind for a few weeks, pls and thx. 

U missing the point he was making.

This is what u missed: Is this first time game dev got threathened ?! Is this 1st time anybody in gaming industry or tech industry got death threats ?

No, this happens everyday to Boogie for example. So a normal thing.

Exactly. I was playing Dark Souls last night, and some pleb messaged be on GFWL saying that I sucked and they were going to hunt me down and kill me and my family. I laughed till I was out of breath, then continued invading them in-game.

Perhaps ms quinn should stop trying to politicize the industry, and have it just be an industry about games. You don't get special treatment because you are a woman, deal with it. Either bring something to the table that people want to buy, or fuck off.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Death threats from the internet is nothing new, chances are the people make these empty threats aren't even in an adjacent state or even country.

Also if she wasn't a massive cunt, none of this would have happened in the first place.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

GamerGate is NOT about Zoe Quinn, don't let her fool you into thinking it's about her. It is about ethics in gaming journalism - she isn't a game journalist.

Wasn't it about women's portrayal in video games?

Also to paraphrase Stephen Colbert the only thing worse than gaming journalism might be Hollywood journalism  :rolleyes:

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Also to paraphrase Stephen Colbert the only thing worse than gaming journalism might be Hollywood journalism :rolleyes:

It's a confused issue. Gamergaters say they want more transparency in journalism, and that the issue Zoe Quinn had kinda started all of this.

Zoe Quinn got death threats then feminists got involved who say gamergate is just an excuse for white introverted nerds to practice misogyny.

The media has since provided one sided coverage trying to prove that point.

Also to paraphrase Stephen Colbert the only thing worse than gaming journalism might be Hollywood journalism  :rolleyes:

Quote from wikipedia

Gamergate (sometimes referred to as GamerGate or as hashtag #gamergate) is a controversy centering on misogyny and harassment in video game culture, the role of social commentary in game critiques, and ethics in video game journalism, particularly alleged conflicts of interest between video game journalists and developers. The controversy began in August 2014 and has occurred primarily over social media. A number of people, primarily women, working in the gaming industry were subjected to an intense campaign of harassment and violent threats. It prompted increased attention to "deep-rooted anti-feminist sentiment"[1] and issues of sexism and misogyny in the gaming community.[2][3][4][5][6][7] A subsequent series of death threats against prominent women in gaming drew international media attention to the movement's association with violent harassment.[8][9][10] GamerGate supporters, who consider their actions a "consumer boycott" over ethics in journalism,[11] have contacted companies advertising on gaming news outlets in response to what they considered attacks from these outlets, embroiling several major companies in the controversy.[12][13]