Dual Gigabit NIC Causing system not to boot

Hi guys,

I seem to have this really odd problem with a new Dual gigabit NIC is just bought - Intel Pro/1000 MT. So i bought this NIC for a FreeNAS build ill be doing in the future and since got a good deal on this NIC i bought it in advance. I wanted to test the card and inserted the NIC my main system. The thing is that my system refused to boot the second i put the NIC card in! It just flashes (about 1/2 a sec) and then shuts down immediately - it dosent even start to boot ie even the BIOS wont start up. The funny thing is that i have a second system that is about 4-5yrs old - so i tried the NIC in that and it worked like a charm! So im sure the NIC is not bad but i cant seem to figure out why it wont work with my main rig. Im worried about this because my FreeNAS build is going to be a H97 based build and i dont want it to fail on that!! My system specifications are given below. The NIC is a PCI/PCI-X card!

Please help, this is driving me nuts!!

Main Rig

1. CPU - intel 2500K (OC @4.5 GHz)
  2. Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V Pro (not the Gen3 version)
  3. RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
  4. Graphics Card - Zotac 560Ti Amp edition
  5. Boot Drive - 128GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD
  6. Storage - 2x 1TB WD Black, 2x 2TB WD Green, 1x 1TB WD Blue
  7. Case - CooleMaster HAF-X

Old System (HTPC)

1. CPU - intel Q8400 Core2Quad @ 2.6 GHz
  2. Motherboard - Intel Extreme DP45SG
  3. RAM - Corsair 4GB 1333Mhz
  4. Graphics Card - Zotac Geforce 8800GT
  5. Boot Drive - 128GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
  6. Storage - 1x 500 GB Segate Baracuda 7200 RPM
  7. Case - Random Case from Cooler Master

Please let me know if any other information is required

Cheers

DL

When you plug the NIC into the computer that it's not working on, are there any flashing lights on the mobo? Any beeps? I ask because it sounds like the mobo may not support that card for whatever reason.

The only info I could scrounge up about troubleshooting that type of NIC was this website: 

http://web.mit.edu/cron/documentation/dell-server-admin/en/IntelNIC/trouble.htm

But it's mostly about while the computer is on. I'd still look it over just in case something else in there gives you an idea or clue.

Other things to check would be BIOS revision number in case there is an update for that board. Possibly even go into the BIOS and see if you can disable the onboard NIC and make sure that the boot order is set properly.

Just shotgunning a few ideas out there. 

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

When you plug the NIC into the computer that it's not working on, are there any flashing lights on the mobo? Any beeps? I ask because it sounds like the mobo may not support that card for whatever reason.

The only info I could scrounge up about troubleshooting that type of NIC was this website: 

http://web.mit.edu/cron/documentation/dell-server-admin/en/IntelNIC/trouble.htm

But it's mostly about while the computer is on. I'd still look it over just in case something else in there gives you an idea or clue.

Other things to check would be BIOS revision number in case there is an update for that board. Possibly even go into the BIOS and see if you can disable the onboard NIC and make sure that the boot order is set properly.

Just shotgunning a few ideas out there. 

So when i push the power button, the systems flashes like normal boot, all lights come on and then within 1/2 a sec it just shuts down. I have tried disabling the onboard lan, tried playing with a lot of the BIOS setting but got nothing. I think youre right that the system may just not like this board!!  :lol:

Thanks anyways!

DL