A tablet for my father

So, my father has been looking into buying a tablet, and he plans on buying it around catholic christmas.

He want's a 10.1 inch tablet for mainly reading books/comics (usually italian), watching movies/TV shows, surfing the web... Lightweight stuff...

I suggested to him to get this tablet, but he thinks it's too weak since it's on the cheaper side here (around 230$~)

What do you guys think O.o

P.S. He will be using mainly 32/64Gb MicroSD card/s and USB drives over OTG, so internal storage isn't such a big deal.

Looking at the specs it will be fine. Price Doesn't equal Spec.

With those tasks in mind you will never noticed anything unless he has loads of apps open even then it should do great.

Looking at the specs it will be fine. Price Doesn't equal Spec.

With those tasks in mind you will never noticed anything unless he has loads of apps open even then it should do great.

I guessed as much... I think he mainly isn't comfortable with a brand he doesn't know... He'd rather go with Asus, Acer... I only forbid him to buy a Samsung tablet (unless it's dirt cheap...).

Also, i currently have Prestigio MultiPad 5580C, and i know i couldn't properly run HD videos, too much stuttering... Will 5101C have the same problem O.o

Nexus 7, its only 7 inches, I know...

Or the new Nexus 9, but I think that might be like 300/400$...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Nexus 7, its only 7 inches, I know...

Or the new Nexus 9, but I think that might be like 300/400$...

He definitely doesn't want anything smaller than 10 inches... The lowest he would go is 9.7...

And knowing my country, nexus 9 will probably cost around 350 euros minimum...

Are there BQ tablets available?

I'm asking because it is a Spanish brand and they have great products ;)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

I have an Amazon Fire 7" in the house. It's pretty good for it's price.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

I guessed as much... I think he mainly isn't comfortable with a brand he doesn't know... He'd rather go with Asus, Acer... I only forbid him to buy a Samsung tablet (unless it's dirt cheap...).

Also, i currently have Prestigio MultiPad 5580C, and i know i couldn't properly run HD videos, too much stuttering... Will 5101C have the same problem O.o

Looking at the spec difference the W5101C is far better, CPU & GPU with more cores and clock speed

http://www.prestigio.com/catalogue/Archive_products/Multipads/MultiPad_8.0_Pro_Duo#/product-specs?article=PMP5580C_DUO

http://www.prestigio.com/catalogue/Archive_products/Multipads/MultiPad_4_QUANTUM_10.1#/product-specs?article=PMP5101C_QUAD

No idea what you can get in your region for the same price though. If in doubt go look for hands on reviews, i love youtube for that.

I have an Amazon Fire 7" in the house. It's pretty good for it's price.

He definitely doesn't want a 7 inch tablet... It's too small for him...

Get the Nvidia Shield tablet ?

Not available here, and even if it was, knowing our vendors, they would up the price so much that it would be cheaper to get a Samsung Galaxy Pro tablet (not really, but they would seriously up the price...)

This is actually feasible, with some reductions to something other we're planning on buying. I'm only worried that he might not like it because it doesn't have a front facing camera (for skype), but if it's really so good to justify a 80$ more, then i'll try to change his mind :D

Looking at the spec difference the W5101C is far better, CPU & GPU with more cores and clock speed

http://www.prestigio.com/catalogue/Archive_products/Multipads/MultiPad_8.0_Pro_Duo#/product-specs?article=PMP5580C_DUO

http://www.prestigio.com/catalogue/Archive_products/Multipads/MultiPad_4_QUANTUM_10.1#/product-specs?article=PMP5101C_QUAD

No idea what you can get in your region for the same price though. If in doubt go look for hands on reviews, i love youtube for that.

I see, it's that better (not like i needed an uber good tablet...). 

I'll try looking at YT, but it's nigh impossible finding Prestigio reviews in either my language or english...

More cores and higher clock speed CPU and GPU doesn't mean anything when it's a Rockchip RK3188. A Tegra 3 or Snapdragon S4 will whoop the RK3188 any day.

"Rawr XD"

This is actually feasible, with some reductions to something other we're planning on buying. I'm only worried that he might not like it because it doesn't have a front facing camera (for skype), but if it's really so good to justify a 80$ more, then i'll try to change his mind :D

The Intel CPU in that Asus is a lot better then the Rockchip CPUs in the Prestigio tablets. The Asus tablet likely also has a better screen and speakers, and is likely built better.

"Rawr XD"

More cores and higher clock speed CPU and GPU doesn't mean anything when it's a Rockchip RK3188. A Tegra 3 or Snapdragon S4 will whoop the RK3188 any day.

Oh yea but its for really light stuff as he said, then why pay the extra.

It's still better to get a CPU with fewer cores that are actually better as individuals, rather then a CPU with more cores that are weaker. It's like AMD vs Intel, but on Android most everyday things won't use more then 2 cores anyways.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Well the RK3188 is just an RK3066 with two more cores, which won't even be used most of the time in light stuff anyways. Why pay extra for the 3188?

"Rawr XD"

Well the RK3188 is just an RK3066 with two more cores, which won't even be used most of the time in light stuff anyways. Why pay extra for the 3188?

So, is 5101c okay O.o It's not like he'll use it for heavy duty stuff... Mainly for watching movies, reading books and comics... I'm quite sure you don't need a more expensive tablet... The only problem that i have is: "Will it be able to seamlessly play HD movies/videos?".

So, is 5101c okay O.o It's not like he'll use it for heavy duty stuff... Mainly for watching movies, reading books and comics... I'm quite sure you don't need a more expensive tablet... The only problem that i have is: "Will it be able to seamlessly play HD movies/videos?".

Yes it will, since the RK chips have decent GPUs

"Rawr XD"