Computer will only send display signal through Integrated GPU

bakler5

My HTPC, which is basically just an old converted gaming rig, is running an Asus M3N-HD/HDMI, AMD Phenom 9850 X4 Black Edition, 4 GB of Kingston ram (not sure exactly the model, DDR2 800 though), and the PSU is a 850 watt one, can't remember the brand right now. Anyways, I had an old 9800gtx in there setup in Hybrid SLI with the onboard 750A graphics to give a little extra boost. I recently acquired an old reference nvidia gtx295 for free and decided to test if it would work with the setup ( I knew hybrid SLI wouldn't work). I installed it, booted up still using the onboard HDMI, installed the latest drivers, switched to the HDMI on the 295 and it worked great. Did a reboot to finish driver install, and got no signal sent to my TV. So I switched back to the onboard HDMI and it worked fine. Once windows booted up I switched back to the 295 and it was working again. I opened device manager and uninstalled the onboard, rebooted, same issue.

First thing I did for troubleshooting was open up the BIOS. The only thing it allows you to do in regards to the onboard gpu is set it to 'Auto' or 'Always On'. Auto is supposed to disable it automatically if you install a graphics card. There is nothing else in BIOS in regards to the onboard chip. Next thing I did was reset the CMOS/BIOS. That didn't work so I went to the ASUS site and looked at BIOS updates and noticed there was one that noted in the change log that it included fixes for stability issues specifically for the GTX 295, so I updated to the latest BIOS. Still nothing. Downgraded to the BIOS that pointed out the GTX 295 improvements, still nothing. I have tried using a different monitor through both DVI ports, reseating the GPU, disabling the onboard in windows device manager, and everything in between. Now at this point I am ready to concede that using the 295 is a luxury, and the system was working great beforehand, but on the other hand, I am a pc building enthusiast, and I don't like when PC issues conquer me. Anyone have any advice for me?!? Thanks for your time!

Congrats on the 295. That thing was a beast back in the day. Anyway, this is a weird one. Is there some legacy driver you could download to see if that fixes the issue? I imagine not many people are still running these cards with the latest drivers.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I didn't think of that, although I wouldn't really know where to get old drivers. I suppose I could erase all drivers currently installed and see what Windows installs by default. Although I am not sure it is really a driver issue since once it gets past the bios I can switch the HDMI cable to the 295 and it will pick up the signal. 

I should note that I am currently at work so I can't do any testing right now.