PC Won't Detect GPU.. But GPU works on another desktop.. ?

dchen

Hi!

Currently experiencing this weird event with my computer. Currently I have a 7970 which was working hours ago then suddenly when I restarted my computer, no display would come out.

So I tried swapping this out with my brother's GPU which is a R290 on the same PCIE slot on my computer and it works.

I then tried my 7970 on my brother's computer and apparently it works there. Display comes out.

When I tried to put my 7970 back into my computer, there's no display. (Frustrating!)

I know my OS (Win7 64bit) had an issue about this time so I was for to do a reformat. Clean install of Windows 7 all over again.

What do I do? :(

it could be that you hit a dipswitch (depending on what motherboard you use) that turns a pci slot off

Not sure but maybe try the 7970 with your brother's monitor on your PC?

Not sure if it will work but I guess a try wouldn't hurt

Could be a faulty slot or or pcie connector cable.

Unsure. The 7970 has been on the same slot for a couple of years now and I plugged in my brother's R290 on the same slot and it worked. Sadly the 7970 is acting up and gives no display at all since the incident.

do you see bios screen when booting?

7970 has no display. Can't get to bios. :(

it could be that you hit a dipswitch (depending on what motherboard you use) that turns a pci slot off

How do you hit a dipswitch? Sorry unfamiliar with the term. Not also the type who likes to tweak hardware.

Hi!

Currently experiencing this weird event with my computer. Currently I have a 7970 which was working hours ago then suddenly when I restarted my computer, no display would come out.

So I tried swapping this out with my brother's GPU which is a R290 on the same PCIE slot on my computer and it works.

I then tried my 7970 on my brother's computer and apparently it works there. Display comes out.

When I tried to put my 7970 back into my computer, there's no display. (Frustrating!)

I know my OS (Win7 64bit) had an issue about this time so I was for to do a reformat. Clean install of Windows 7 all over again.

What do I do? :(

Hey dchen,

This might be a long shot, but, is there any chance that your PC is looking for an integrated GPU in the CPU and there is none and just skips the 7970? Do you have a second slot where you can try the GPU on your PC?
If you can post your full specs, that might be helpful.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey dchen,

This might be a long shot, but, is there any chance that your PC is looking for an integrated GPU in the CPU and there is none and just skips the 7970? Do you have a second slot where you can try the GPU on your PC?
If you can post your full specs, that might be helpful.

Captain_WD.

I've tried placing the 7970 on a different pcie slot but it is still a no go~

Not sure about the integrated graphics as a priority but here's my specs.

Proc: Core i5-3570k 3.4ghz

GPU: Sapphire 7970

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 8gb (4x2)

PSU: Corsair AX1200

Mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H-WB-Wi

HDD: 1TB WD Green + 1TB WD Black

I've tried placing the 7970 on a different pcie slot but it is still a no go~

Not sure about the integrated graphics as a priority but here's my specs.

Proc: Core i5-3570k 3.4ghz

GPU: Sapphire 7970

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 8gb (4x2)

PSU: Corsair AX1200

Mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H-WB-Wi

HDD: 1TB WD Green + 1TB WD Black

That's a pretty solid PSU. :) I'm guessing you upgraded the RAM, since you are using 4x2GB of memory.
Have you OCed the CPU? Do you have a custom CPU Cooler?
What happens when you turn on the build? Do all the fans and drives spin up? Can you feel any overheating over the GPU?
With the other GPU, check in BIOS the primary graphics device (iGPU or Auto or PCIe). Check that your VGA is being powered correctly. This will happen if you don't connect the auxiliary power connectors to the VGA.

Keep us posted :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

I haven't yet OCed the CPU but I have a H100 on it. No signs of overheating and all case fans are working just fine.

This is sooooo weird. I tried plugging the display into the 7970 again to give it another try and finally it gave out the display. Ridiculous but praise God I don't have to RMA or purchase anything.

Had to do a lot of restarts before it the GPU worked properly... How strange.

If it happens again, post back so we can figure out what is causing it.

If it happens again, post back so we can figure out what is causing it.

And it has happened again on restart. Tried an hour of trying to get the display to work by turning the system on up to bios boot. Once the beep comes up and still there's no display, I turn the system back off. Repeated this over and over again.

And it has happened again on restart. Tried an hour of trying to get the display to work by turning the system on up to bios boot. Once the beep comes up and still there's no display, I turn the system back off. Repeated this over and over again.

OK, so that beep that you are hearing is a error code coming from the Motherboard indicating that something's wrong. Can you describe what is the beep like (one or two short ones and then a long one, or several short ones - the count and if they are long and short matters - kinda like a Morse code)? 

Captain_WD.

It's just one short beep. It's what I hear from the motherboard when it boots up. Also it's the same beep that I hear everyday when I boot up the computer.

I'll try swapping cards again to check with my brother's PC to see if the 7970 is working.

Update: So we tried the 7970 again on another PC and it's working quite fine. Hmmm I wonder why it won't work anymore on mine?

What is your current bios number

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

What is your current bios number

F4 3/9/2012

been there, not alot you can do. When I encountered it my computer was 6 years old and needed a complete upgrade anyway so in other words it's a good excuse for a rebuild :P

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Do a bios up 

New one - F14 2012/08/20 Get from here

Or even

Beta - F15q - 2013/01/07 Get from here

Only problem is you need to be in windows so use someone elses card to get you to windows then do the bios update and then swap the card back.

I have had to do bios updates just to get my gpu to work, Keep US posted :P

F4 3/9/2012

been there, not alot you can do. When I encountered it my computer was 6 years old and needed a complete upgrade anyway so in other words it's a good excuse for a rebuild :P

Haha! As much as I want to do a rebuild, I don't have the funds for it yet. Still, the computer is at most 2 years old. Would be a waste of hardware. :(

Do a bios up 

New one - F14 2012/08/20 Get from here

Or even

Beta - F15q - 2013/01/07 Get from here

Only problem is you need to be in windows so use someone elses card to get you to windows then do the bios update and then swap the card back.

I have had to do bios updates just to get my gpu to work, Keep US posted :P

Thank you! I'll give this a try! Just open up the .exe file right? :)

Yep :)

Haha! As much as I want to do a rebuild, I don't have the funds for it yet. Still, the computer is at most 2 years old. Would be a waste of hardware. :(

Thank you! I'll give this a try! Just open up the .exe file right? :)