R9 280x not sending any video to the monitor.

C0bra5

Hello everyone! First time posting on this forum.

I've recently bought an XFX r9 280x (http://www.ncix.com/detail/xfx-radeon-hd-r9-280x-ff-91053-1719.htm) and i've been to get it to work for 3 hours. i can get the monitor to know that the computer is on but i can't manage to get an image on my monitor.

I do believe that my power supply, An ATX-AP800W (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148048) is too cheap to power the 280x correctly.

i would just want to have some opinions before buying a new power Supply.

If i'm buying a new power supply, i would use a Cooler Master I600 600W (http://www.ncix.com/detail/cooler-master-i600-600w-80-c9-83728.htm) power supply to power the graphic card and the computer.

thank's in advance!

I can't see why that power supply shouldn't be able to power the card. Are you sure you plugged the monitor into the actual card and not into the computer IO?

It is plugged into the monitor and into the card. i just think the power supply is too cheap. I've never seen a 800W power supply at 70 bucks.

Have you tried eliminating some of the other factors that don't include buying anything? Try a different cable, different screen? Have you ever seen the card working or is it fresh out the box?

it is fresh out of the box, I've tried 5 different cable(2 dvi, 2 hdmi), the 2 pci-e power cables and I've tried in an other computer, my current power supply is my only power supply powerful enough to power the graphic card the psu was a 400W in the second computer so i had the ATX-AP800W powering the 280x and the 400W powering the rest of the computer. i had the same result, it detect that the computer turns on but it doesn't send any video signal to the monitor.

I had this problem not long ago, my monitor wouldn't display an image on screen. The monitor I was trying to use didn't take digital signals form my new R9 290 X, whereas my old GPU had analogue outputs. It was fixed by buying a digital to analogue converter. This might be the problem you're having. 

What make of monitor do you have and what type of inputs does it take?

it takes 1 vga and 2 hdmi and it is an asus-VN247 monitor

i've returned the gpu to NCIX and they are almost certain that it is the gpu that went bad.