Dual SLI 970 STRIX or A Single 980 STRIX

So I am upgrading my Graphics Card soon and i was wondering if I should get 2 Asus GTX 970 STRIX or a single GTX 980 STRIX.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Space, power etc. are not issues. So i am purely looking at this as which option will provide the most power. (Using the word power very loosely)

My recommendation?

Read this before opting to go with Asus.

That said, dual cards, when implemented/optimized for will give you better performance, in some instances, however, it can do much the opposite (but this is easily remedied by disabling one of the GPU's)

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I would just go for the single card. But the SLI 970 is a compelling option

I would go for the duals any day. However it depends on what resolution you are playing at. If you go with the dual 970's you should be good to go for quite a while at 1440 or light 4k gaming but you wont be able to upgrade very easily if you decide to graduate into heavy 4k gaming however the 980 will allow you to throw in another card in a year or two when you need some extra boost for that 4k 144hz gaming ;).

Honestly I'd go for the 980. SLI is only worth it when it's implemented well, when a game isn't optimised for SLI it can lead to worse performance compared to a single card. It's always better to get the best card you can before jumping to a multi GPU setup.

Sli 970 if you cant wait and want the best performance right now and cant wait and wonna lose some upgraging options. Go 980 if you want great performance and can grab another when you can afford it.

As far as brands, all asus everything if not evga.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

What monitor(s) are you using?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Games that aren't optimised for SLI are games that don't need it.

Games that need the performance boost / just about 99% of modern releases support it.

The arguments against SLI are all like a decade out of date now. Its amazing.

Linus is my fetish.