What HDD to get?

UltraNeonGaming

Hey guys I have the SSD Side of my build all sorted out now I need to do the HDD side of the build.

I was thinking of getting a WD Black for games and secondary storage to my boot drive and main drive MX100 512GB and a Green for backup.

But I people are saying that the WD black is too loud, And that pulling me away from it because my build will be a very silent build and I am also a silence freak, I also heard the green is too slow. And I don't want a blue because it only goes up to 1TB

So I was looking at the Seagate Desktop SSHD 1TB to replace my WD Black and the Desktop barracuda to replace the green.

Is the Desktop SSHD a good drive? Is the performance good for games and video editing? Is it silent? And is the Barracuda a reliable drive for backing up all my precious family photos and files?

an SSHD will have almost the same performance as a WD black

as for backing up the most reliable i can think of is the  WD purple that is used to record surveilance camara footage

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

NO!

If you can get a SSD and a HDD separately DO IT!

just-do-it-o.gif

Because he had a hard drive.

as for backing up the most reliable i can think of is the  WD purple that is used to record surveilance camara footage

How close in performance? I know the SSHD will only store a small amount of data on the 8GB's of MLC flash

The WD Purple might be loud since it's made for server like envirments, but I would like some conformation.

NO!

If you can get a SSD and a HDD separately DO IT!

just-do-it-o.gif

That's exactly what I am doing.. I just need to get the HDD part sorted out

That's exactly what I am doing.. I just need to get the HDD part sorted out

Ok, don't get a WD Green/Red/Purple

Because he had a hard drive.

Is the Desktop SSHD a good drive? Is the performance good for games and video editing? Is it silent? And is the Barracuda a reliable drive for backing up all my precious family photos and files?

No hdd is silent. A sshd would be no different than a hdd when it comes to gaming or video editing. A Barracuda would be fine but a Red or better yet one of the many 2.5" drives might be a good decision if you're going for as quiet of a drive as possible. 

No--a seagate sshd would be slower than a Black but much snappier. 

A Purple doesn't make much sense in this case. A Red would be flat out better and likely slightly cheaper. 

Ok, don't get a WD Green/Red/Purple

I don't see why the OP shouldn't get a Red considering it's the most consistently quiet hdd I've found so far. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hi, @UltraNeonGaming

SSD + HDD is really a great configuration and you are right that you should choose the HDD carefully. If you are into gaming, the WD Black is your best option. About the noise, the WD Black is slightly noisier than the WD Blue. In fact the Idle sound power level is the same. There are some difference in the average seek level. I leave you the spec sheet for some more details.

However, we should not compare the WD Black with the other WD drives, because it is the high performance drive and it is reasonable to be slightly noisier.

Talking about WD Green, it is a great solution for a secondary drive, but this is not a backup, because the drive will still be in the same environment as the primary drive. For a backup solution, I recommend you to get an external drive and do some scheduled backups.

The WD Red really may be a very silent drive, but it is recommended to be used in NAS enclosures and here we are talking about high performance in a desktop.

The WD Purple really is the surveillance drive and should be used for it's purpose.

In conclusion, I recommend you to stay with your first decision, getting a WD Black.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771434.pdf – WD Black spec sheet

Hope this helps

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/

Hi, @UltraNeonGaming

SSD + HDD is really a great configuration and you are right that you should choose the HDD carefully. If you are into gaming, the WD Black is your best option. About the noise, the WD Black is slightly noisier than the WD Blue. In fact the Idle sound power level is the same. There are some difference in the average seek level. I leave you the spec sheet for some more details.

However, we should not compare the WD Black with the other WD drives, because it is the high performance drive and it is reasonable to be slightly noisier.

Talking about WD Green, it is a great solution for a secondary drive, but this is not a backup, because the drive will still be in the same environment as the primary drive. For a backup solution, I recommend you to get an external drive and do some scheduled backups.

The WD Red really may be a very silent drive, but it is recommended to be used in NAS enclosures and here we are talking about high performance in a desktop.

The WD Purple really is the surveillance drive and should be used for it's purpose.

In conclusion, I recommend you to stay with your first decision, getting a WD Black.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771434.pdf – WD Black spec sheet

Hope this helps

Thanks for clearing everything up! :D

Probably won't get the purple or red, the purple as you said, it's meant for surveillance systems and is favours for high write speeds, and the red is also not meant for this type of system.

Hello!

As for a HDD, I would recommend getting WD's RE series of drives. They are relatively quiet and come with a dedicated customer support line and a great warranty too. Also, if you plan on setting up a RAID array in the future, they scale quite well [see attached picture for speeds with and without RAID]. The Greens based on what I've read don't scale that well, and the Blacks don't come with TLER which is a form of error recovery which safeguards your drives (by a bit) from dropping out of an array. In addition, the REs are based for really heavy industrial use, so in theory, they should last you a long time when doing something light such as gaming.

As for SSHD, although to be honest, I've never tried them, I would rather spend my money on two industrial grade drives and set them in RAID0 just to get the speed and storage boosts associated with them.

You are right about getting the green as a backup drive though- they are relatively inexpensive and should serve as great backup drives. However, you mentioned you are storing family photos, so I would recommend using a cloud based storage setup such as OneDrive or GoogleDrive [which are relatively inexpensive too].

I hope this helps!

post-14430-0-13661100-1414679396.jpg

post-14430-0-51685200-1414679401.jpg

PC in Profile

Probably won't get the purple or red, the purple as you said, it's meant for surveillance systems and is favours for high write speeds, and the red is also not meant for this type of system.

Think of Reds as higher quality Greens with some features that are useful in a NAS environment. There's nothing wrong with it being used in a desktop as a normal drive. 

Purples aren't worth getting outside of surveillance because it's similar to the Red but optimized in a way that benefits it in a surveillance environment but will under-perform the Red in just about every other situation. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Think of Reds as higher quality Greens with some features that are useful in a NAS environment. There's nothing wrong with it being used in a desktop as a normal drive. 

Purples aren't worth getting outside of surveillance because it's similar to the Red but optimized in a way that benefits it in a surveillance environment but will under-perform the Red in just about every other situation. 

So can I get just 1 2TB Red? Apart from the firmware which is more reliable 2TB Red or 2TB Green? because I will store many of my precious photos and files on it.

So can I get just 1 2TB Red? Apart from the firmware which is more reliable 2TB Red or 2TB Green? because I will store many of my precious photos and files on it.

Reds are better than Greens in pretty much every way. 

Reds are better than Greens in pretty much every way. 

Okay I'll probably get the 2TB Red to backup my stuff, I may add another 2TB in the future and run them both in Raid 1

@UltraNeonGaming- The Reds don't support TLER in a non-NAS environment which is very important to RAID and drive redundancy. If you are planning on setting up the drives in RAID, get the RE series of drives.

I hope this helps! :)

PC in Profile

@UltraNeonGaming- The Reds don't support TLER in a non-NAS environment which is very important to RAID and drive redundancy. If you are planning on setting up the drives in RAID, get the RE series of drives.

I hope this helps! :)

I'm not setting up raid so which one should I get?

If you have no plans of setting up RAID, get the Reds or Blacks as other members have suggested. Those are a solid options :)

PC in Profile

If you have no plans of setting up RAID, get the Reds or Blacks as other members have suggested. Those are a solid options :)

Red drives are designed for Raid environments tho?

They are but only for very specific NASs that support them. Putting them in a desktop environment or an unsupported NAS will not allow you to reap the benefit of TLER, making them ordinary drives instead of RAID specific ones. In such cases, you are better of going for the Blacks (provided they have the same warranty where you live at)

I was looking for drives for setting up in RAID 0 a couple of months back so I looked into what is TLER and how is it supported (troubled ASUS and WD a bit too much for information :P )

PC in Profile

They are but only for very specific NASs that support them. Putting them in a desktop environment or an unsupported NAS will not allow you to reap the benefit of TLER, making them ordinary drives instead of RAID specific ones. In such cases, you are better of going for the Blacks (provided they have the same warranty where you live at)

I was looking for drives for setting up in RAID 0 a couple of months back so I looked into what is TLER and how is it supported (troubled ASUS and WD a bit too much for information :P )

I'll probably get the Red