Overheating FX-8150

GuitarBro
I was debating where to put this since it involves my CPU, liquid cooling, and air cooling. Guess it's going here now.

So I've noticed recently that I'm having a hard time playing games without my computer slowing itself down every minute or so due to heat. Today I noticed it was doing it without me even playing games so I decided to check my CPU temperatures.

pc_temps.png

Turns out that my CPU appears to be idling (this was taken with nothing but Chrome open) at approximately 80 degrees Celsius (or maybe I'm just bad at reading the information here)! If you look, you can also see that one temp peaked around 98 degrees which makes me surprised it hasn't melted down and shut off the entire computer yet (I believe AMD lists the max safe temperature at 70 degrees or so, though again, perhaps I'm wrong).

My current build:

• CPU
    AMD FX-8150 (not overclocked)

• Motherboard
    Gigabyte 970a-d3

• RAM
    16GB

• GPU
    nVidia GTX 660Ti EVGA Superclocked

• Case
    Thermaltake (can't remember which one)

• Storage
    60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD + 2TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD

• PSU
    Generic 800W (can't remember brand)

• Cooling
    Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling with 2 fans (push/pull) and an additional generic fan on the side of the case

•  

I have my window open and a giant fan blowing directly on my computer and it still idles at about 75-80 degrees. I am in a campus dorm building and they turned off the air conditioning a few weeks back, so the ambient temperature is around 75F (24C).

I'm pretty sure this is not safe for my system, however I am pretty much broke (did I mention I was in a dorm?). Any ideas on what to do?

post-132446-0-88527500-1414629602_thumb.

Hi there!

8150s are really hot CPUs, but I'd try to reseat the cooler and re-apply thermal paste, to see how much that helps temps

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

I'd try reseating the cooler block

EDIT: Ninja'd  :ph34r:

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Package temp is different from cpu(I think)

Right now for me for folding on my 8320 @ stock speeds and stock cooler

Perhaps try another program to see cpu temps?

post-109689-0-65743900-1414629830.jpg

8150s are really hot CPUs, but I'd try to reseat the cooler and re-apply thermal paste, to see how much that helps temps

That requires that I go buy thermal paste, correct?

If so, what brand would you recommend for someone who is pretty much broke?

Hi there!

I'd try reseating the cooler block

EDIT: Ninja'd  :ph34r:

Dang it, I almost got ninja'd too. :ph34r:

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Package temp is different from cpu(I think)

Right now for me for folding on my 8320 @ stock speeds and stock cooler

Perhaps try another program to see cpu temps?

That makes me feel a bit better, but I also used speedfan and that gave me ~78 degrees.

Hi there!

That requires that I go buy thermal paste, correct?

If so, what brand would you recommend for someone who is pretty much broke?

Yeah, but thermal paste isn't that expensive. A tube of MX-4 is only a couple bucks

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Yeah, but thermal paste isn't that expensive. A tube of MX-4 is only a couple bucks

Hmm... I might be able to shell out $10.

Hi there!

That makes me feel a bit better, but I also used speedfan and that gave me ~78 degrees.

Speedfan wasn't accurate for me, i use CPUID and AI Suite 2

Dude, stock cooler is a big difference from a liquid cooler in push/pull. As well as the 83xx chips run a lot cooler then the 81xx chips

Dude, stock cooler is a big difference from a liquid cooler in push/pull. As well as the 83xx chips run a lot cooler then the 81xx chips

Was that supposed to quote me?

Hi there!

Keep in mind that i'm folding right now and doing other things on stock cooler and having poor airflow in my case.

If you can shell out 10 bucks, then why not Noctua NH-H1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608008

0.2 degree difference lol

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Might I also ask if it's worth it so save up for a newer AMD cpu that fits the socket? Like, would it run significantly better/cooler?

Hi there!

with the exception of the 8XXXe series you will still get the same voltage (hence similar temps). While the 83xx series will give you better performance, you wont see less temperature unless you can figure out why your temps are high

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

with the exception of the 8XXXe series you will still get the same voltage (hence similar temps). While the 83xx series will give you better performance, you wont see less temperature unless you can figure out why your temps are high

Ok thanks.

Hi there!