Help with leaky reservoir.

So I was putting together a custom loop and noticed during leak testing that I had a small drip coming from one end of my tube reservoir. I double checked the tightness of the fittings and let the loop run for a while longer, but again found that it had a small leak on one end.

leak_zpscc0103e9.jpg

It seems to be leaking from either the lower hole, or from the O-ring. It's one of these old-school Danger Den tube reservoirs that screws together, so the end bits are only sealed with a thin rubber membrane between them. I also thought that the threads might be chipped, so I turned the top piece over and reassembled it, but that didn't seem to help either. I've checked the fittings around and above the leak, so I'm pretty sure the reservoir is the culprit.

My question is, can anything be done to ensure a good seal on these types of reservoirs? If the issue is the threads for the fittings, could I use teflon tape or something like that to help seal it even with a G1/4 fitting?

Any help is appreciated.

You can try teflon or some sealing silicon, but other than that you should probably buy a new res to be safe.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

May be able to seal it with hot glue, depending on the location of the leak.

So I was putting together a custom loop and noticed during leak testing that I had a small drip coming from one end of my tube reservoir. I double checked the tightness of the fittings and let the loop run for a while longer, but again found that it had a small leak on one end.

leak_zpscc0103e9.jpg

It seems to be leaking from either the lower hole, or from the O-ring. It's one of these old-school Danger Den tube reservoirs that screws together, so the end bits are only sealed with a thin rubber membrane between them. I also thought that the threads might be chipped, so I turned the top piece over and reassembled it, but that didn't seem to help either. I've checked the fittings around and above the leak, so I'm pretty sure the reservoir is the culprit.

My question is, can anything be done to ensure a good seal on these types of reservoirs? If the issue is the threads for the fittings, could I use teflon tape or something like that to help seal it even with a G1/4 fitting?

Any help is appreciated.

If it's the G1/4 fitting that's leaking try using teflon tape and give it a leak test to see if that helps, are the threads worn down to the point where the fitting can't apply significant pressure on the O-ring to seal it and the reservoir?

Hot glue should help that. Or you can use some other sealant

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

http://www.amazon.com/00688-Household-Waterproof-Adhesive-2-8-Ounce/dp/B000KE4PBQ

Something like that. 100% silicone sealant that will not shrink/crack/flake. Put a small amount around the threads of your fitting and screw it in as you normally would. It is critical that you allow it to cure in a dry temp controlled area for as long as directed, you don't want strands of that crap getting into your loop (or any other type of sealant). Thoroughly flush the res before you install it back in the system to make absolutely sure there's no contaminants.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

leak_zpscc0103e9.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

As a last resort you can use something like this but primarily, i would contact the place you bought the reservoir from and see if that supply just the cap with the ports and just replace it.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

As a last resort you can use something like this but primarily, i would contact the place you bought the reservoir from and see if that supply just the cap with the ports and just replace it.

Sadly I bought it nearly three years ago so an RMA is out of the question. Gonna try using sealant around the joint/screws and a bit of teflon tape on the G1/4. Hopefully that does the trick. If not, I guess it's time to replace the thing. Any suggestions for a cheap res of similar size?

Sadly I bought it nearly three years ago so an RMA is out of the question. Gonna try using sealant around the joint/screws and a bit of teflon tape on the G1/4. Hopefully that does the trick. If not, I guess it's time to replace the thing. Any suggestions for a cheap res of similar size?

I didn't mean to do an RMA, i meant to just see if you can purchase the cap with the ports and then you replace yours.

Best cheap free standing reservoir XSPC photon 270 and there is also the 170

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

If it's just the thread Teflon tape is the best option mate. Just be sure to put it on the thread the opposite  way to the thread.

MSI Z87 XPower, I5 4670k, 4x4gb Avexir MPower, 2 x HD7950, XFX Pro750w, Intel 335 180gb boot, 250gb Samy pro games, 60gb OCZ Vertex music, Monsta 420,ST30 360, 140mm / 120mm Akasa Vipers in push pull, D5 Vario, Koolance top, Bitspower ZMulti250, Fesser Fittings all round, Mayhems sunset Yellow, 32" LG monitor, 23" Asus monitor, Microlab Solo 7c's, Bheringer MS20's, R.A.T7, Steelseries Merc Stealth

Ended up using an all-surface sealant (which says it works on plastics and acrylic but we'll see) between the gasket and the tube, as well as the gasket and the caps. Cleaned everything thoroughly and applied it really thinly, screwed it all back together and let it cure. Seems to have done the trick. Cautiously optimistic right now. It just needs to last until I can afford a new one >.>