512GB MX100 Or 256GB 850 Pro?

UltraNeonGaming

Hey guys, I am really stuck deciding between the 512GB MX100 or The 256GB 850 Pro.

I will put this in my first PC build mainly to be used for gaming and some video editing. And everything cos it's my main PC

I will have one of these SSD's along with a 1TB WD Black for games and a 2TB green for backing up every drive in my system.

I want to put my OS and main drives/main apps on one of these SSD's. If I get the 512GB MX100 I'll put BF4 on it and get faster loading times than the WD Black

Which should I go with? is the 850 Pro a lot more faster than the fastest MX100? Will the MX100 get worse performance in about a year and a half?

^^^^Anyone who answers the above question will get best answer^^^^

Thanks!

512gb of coarse. In terms of performance they are very close and in my opinion the i would go for the double the space rather than the slight most likely unnoticeable performance boost. 

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

512GB MX100, it is a solid SSD and the 850 pros arent worth the money especially when you have the option of twice the capacity! The MX100 will last quite awhile and will perform great.

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

get the 512gb, all that extra storage is DEFO worth the bit of performance you are sacrificing as in real life you probably wouldn't notice the difference between 850 and MX100.

Plus replace them blacks and greens for blues, as blacks are overpriced for barely any extra performance and they are loud as fuck and the greens are notoriously slow.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

get the 512gb, all that extra storage is DEFO worth the bit of performance you are sacrificing as in real life you probably wouldn't notice the difference between 850 and MX100.

Plus replace them blacks and greens for blues, as blacks are overpriced for barely any extra performance and they are loud as fuck and the greens are notoriously slow.

How loud are the blacks? Because I am a quiet freak!

How loud are the blacks? Because I am a quiet freak!

Too loud for you in that case lol. They are known to be one of the loudest drives on the market and if you already have a silence optimized build, it will be your loudest component. 

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Too loud for you in that case lol. They are known to be one of the loudest drives on the market and if you already have a silence optimized build, it will be your loudest component. 

Okay, I'll look else where

Okay, I'll look else where

You could get a seagate barracuda, mine can be loud when it first starts spinning up but after that I can hear it and I sit about 50cm away from my pc.

You could get a seagate barracuda, mine can be loud when it first starts spinning up but after that I can hear it and I sit about 50cm away from my pc.

You can hear it or you can't? I'm guessing you can't

512GB MX100, obviously.

And for the love of god get a Seagate Barracuda. Blacks = poop.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You can hear it or you can't? I'm guessing you can't

only when it starts spinning up for about 5 seconds, then it does silent again.

MX100 all day every day, I bought one a month or two back and I LOVE it.

I have the 256GB version in my laptop the write isn't as fast as the 512GB version but it's still really good for the price

I have the 256GB version in my laptop the write isn't as fast as the 512GB version but it's still really good for the price

Check out the ADATA SP610?

"Rawr XD"

Hello!

I would go for the larger capacity when it comes to an SSD. You mentioned that you will be installing games, but that easily becomes a few 100GB with around 10 modern games (I've got a 240GB and it's only got 40GB left with a few NFS games, BF3, among others), so the 256GB one is a poor choice in my opinion. Both of them are SSDs and will be bottlenecking the SATA 6GB/s standard. Based on what I know about BF3/4 and any large clunk of data, the drives should perform neck-n-neck in terms of loading times for large sets of data that being BF4, so just go for the better value which is the MX100.

In addition, in regards to your performance related concern, try using Corsair's suggestion (they work with every SSD), and your SSD should maintain it's speed and life for a few years (running my Force 240GB since 2 years and not once has it slowed down). Try googling/ binging 'Corsair SSD Windows 7 Tips and Tweaks'. The process won't take you longer than 15 minutes and it's quite worth it if you plan on keeping your SSD running for a long time.

Lastly, I would  pick a bigger drive just to be able to dump all my data quicky on it. I'm not sure how many people use Shadowplay/ Fraps, but having a bigger and fast drive really does help with your actual in game FPS not taking that much. Also, having an SSD ensures that the video is not choppy. These videos take up a lot of place so having a lot of free space may be benefitial to you if you do record your game

If you do want to consider other reasons, try looking if the company has service centers near to where you are along with post sales support based on reviews on sites such as Newegg and Amazon.

I hope this helps! :)

PC in Profile