VPS and Web App

Hikaru12

I found this great document management software online that's open source. It requires TomCat and Java to run. However, the IT Director at my job says that Java is disabled on our Windows Server because of security risks. I'm not very familiar with the process but I've thought about getting a VPS and installing it on there. My main issue is how will users then connect to the web app? Should they be SSHing into the VPS or would there be a way to get a domain to point to it so users could just type up a address into their web browsers and get access to it? I want to make this as least complicated as possible.

For reference this is the web app I'm referring to: http://wiki.openkm.com/index.php/Quick_Install_-_OpenKM_6.2

Once installed on the VPS, I need to give users access to it so they can begin using it. 

Once you get OpenKM setup, which according to the quick install page should be quite simple, users should be able to connect directly to your server's IP address with the port on which the app is bound. In this case, it seems the default port is 8080, so users should be able to visit server.public.ip.here:8080 and access the site. Generally, servers shouldn't, by default, block access to these ports, but in case the ports are blocked, you will need to allow them to receive external traffic.

I also wouldn't recommend allowing users to connect directly to the app server or making users connect directly to the server's IP with the app's port. Get a domain and use a reverse proxy. Nginx is easy to setup and a very fast web server that can be used a reverse proxy.